News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 01, 2021, 11:18:00 AM
I did find to my surprise, that I like the John Wick, Jack Reacher, Equalizer type of movies. 
I sort my movies by genre.  I have one for "Revenge Films," but I think there's only about 10 movies in that group.  It's almost embarrassing that I seek these out, and that I put them where I can find them fast.  The most recent was Nobody, with the guy that plays the lawyer in Breaking Bad.  Can't think of his name at the moment.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2021, 12:55:04 PM
I sort my movies by genre.  I have one for "Revenge Films," but I think there's only about 10 movies in that group.  It's almost embarrassing that I seek these out, and that I put them where I can find them fast.  The most recent was Nobody, with the guy that plays the lawyer in Breaking Bad.  Can't think of his name at the moment.
I guess the Equalizer type movies would be 'revenge' films.  A Knight's Tale is an example.  It is a nobody makes good against all odds, type of movie.  But it is also a revenge movie in that the hero gets revenge on the main bad guy.  So, I'd watch revenge movies--good category. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2021, 12:50:14 PM
I have never seen one.  I probably should just as a tolerance check.
Extreme sado-masochistic movies.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2021, 10:13:37 AMThe Saw Franchise is already beyond my limit.
Same.  I can take violent AF movies like Equilibrium where it's not too cruel or gory.  But I can't watch torture or really gory stuff.  The Walking Dead with Lucille is right at the very edge of what I can tolerate.

Hydra009

Suicide Squad.  Easily 9/10, if not higher.  Badass seal of approval.

Great quirky and dark humor.  Lots and lots of action.  These guys legitimately acted like some pick-up-groups I've been a part of.

This movie is leaps and bounds above its infamous predecessor.  Such a huge difference between two movies with the same premise when one clearly had talent and vision and the other clearly didn't.  Masterwork quality vs kluged together.

Gawdzilla Sama

Is Amanda Waller's brief to kill off all the supers she can find?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2021, 12:14:16 AM
This movie is leaps and bounds above its infamous predecessor.
That's good to hear, because the concept is a good one.  Too good to waste on a weak script.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2021, 06:18:33 AM
Is Amanda Waller's brief to kill off all the supers she can find?
That's pretty much her MO.  She's surprisingly short-sighted with the lives under her care.  Even villains are assets and you try to keep assets alive as often as possible.  From the looks of things, she barely even briefs them (even then, very little is actually planned in advance), they get no armor or support of any kind, and there's no plan B if things go awry.  Hell, their power sets and personalities aren't even matched to the mission or to each other.  It really seems like she's just throwing whatever she has at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Gawdzilla Sama

But enough with the Vietnam analogies, eh mate.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 12, 2021, 07:30:06 AM
That's pretty much her MO.  She's surprisingly short-sighted with the lives under her care.  Even villains are assets and you try to keep assets alive as often as possible.  From the looks of things, she barely even briefs them (even then, very little is actually planned in advance), they get no armor or support of any kind, and there's no plan B if things go awry.  Hell, their power sets and personalities aren't even matched to the mission or to each other.  It really seems like she's just throwing whatever she has at the wall and seeing what sticks.

For what it's worth I think that makes her an incredibly realistic character. She is not at all a military character but rather a political science major who became a congressional aide and then worked her way to the top by being as ruthless as brutal as possible... and when we look at historical strongmen that is often exactly how they treated their soldiers; as cannon fodder expected to win the war in one offensive.

She is a politician trying to play the hero general and she is way in over her depth, but her arrogance and lust for power means she will not only never realize it but just become more and more ruthless if she receives any sort of (warranted) criticism. That and she is just a regular ol' douche nozzle.

I fucking hate her lol, but she is realistic... which is probably why she is so hateable as, unlike most villains, her motives are 100% realistic. 
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Himmler, or Felix Dzerzhinsky? Any better equivalents?
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 12, 2021, 08:44:00 AM
Himmler, or Felix Dzerzhinsky? Any better equivalents?

Hitler as well, though in his defense he did at least see combat in the first World War; personality wise he fits the bill perfectly though and ultimately he was a far better politician than he was soldier.

James Brudenell, 7th Earl of Cardigan and the Lords leading the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava comes to mind if we are thinking further back; a landed aristocrat placed in charge for his political position rather than expertise, as even before then he had made multiple blunders but still rose through the ranks because of his status.

If we wanna keep it in Britain I would also say Churchill during the Gallipoli Campaign. Going old school, Marcus Licinius Crassus and his attempt to invade Parthia, Pierre-Charles Villeneuve at Trafalgar... Santa Anna here in Texas... and honestly just a slew of feudal lords from Europe to Japan who had no clue what they were getting themselves into but thought, "Fuck it, my men may die but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for more power.".

I really probably should know more failures by name because you learn just as much through failure as you do success... but we tend to focus on the winner instead, for obvious reason.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Have you guys played the Telltale Batman series? Amanda Waller is in the second of those games too. The game essentially asks you to chose between her and Commissioner Gordon, and yeah. No one in their right mind is going to side with the douche. The choices you make can lead to her being either an annoying ally or an even more annoying enemy. I fucking hate Waller, but I think we're supposed to. lol

She's also in the animated version of Suicide Squad, which is an okay movie. Better than the first live action one. Follows the current trend of animated DC stuff unnecessarily oversexualizing its female characters, so there's that. Waller's pretty much the same in that version too. She just sends the Suicide Squad into a mission, not explaining what she expects them to do, and just expecting them to follow orders blindly. This, of course, does not work, and all hell breaks loose. At the end of the movie, Batman tries to warn her not to play with fire, but she unwisely chooses to ignore his advice and continue to make herself the target of violent bad guys.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 12, 2021, 09:47:51 AM
Hitler as well, though in his defense he did at least see combat in the first World War; personality wise he fits the bill perfectly though and ultimately he was a far better politician than he was soldier.
Waller and the other two I mentioned were flunkies. Different category for Fuehrers.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

My introduction to Waller was in the Justice League animated tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTXMyuKaFPo

In that show, she's a hardass, paranoid (somewhat understandably), morally gray (but not evil).  Overall, a real anti-hero.  Not a villain.

Other series have her as a straight-up villain.