News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm on page 4319 of "A Short History of the Covid-19 Era." Available RSN.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 26, 2021, 10:20:37 AM
It's been a year of COVID.

What else were we supposed to do?
Work out? Write novels? Better ourselves? Show dedication in creative ways to the people we love?

Right.

:p
*cries in 200+ pages of research, roughly 10 pages complete of a short story and already badly in need of major structural changes*

Sorginak

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8426594/
The Wind
QuoteA plains-woman faces the harshness and isolation of the untamed land in the Western frontier of the late 1800s.

Available on Netflix.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Creeping Terror (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057970/) 1963. I used to think the guy in the gorilla suit with the diver's helmet was the nadir for bad movie monsters. WRONG. This is the ultimate "guy pretending to be an alien in an insane outfit dragging ten feet of what appears to be his own dung" movie. We were calling this "the movie where nobody is smart enough to run away." The subplot of "the government knows about all this shit!" is just to make things sound weirder. UFO lands, government send a farm truck load of soldiers and ONE scientist. From there things go down hill.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Nobody - Bob Odenkirk
10/10

Assuming you don't mind violence, this is over the top.  You've seen the premise before, but this is a ridiculous riot of bloody fun.  What a good film!

SvZurich

Mobile Suit Gundam Part 1 of 3.

10/10
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on June 23, 2021, 06:58:36 PM
Nobody - Bob Odenkirk
10/10

Assuming you don't mind violence, this is over the top.  You've seen the premise before, but this is a ridiculous riot of bloody fun.  What a good film!
Thanks. Just watched it.  That was a lot of fun.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 14, 2021, 07:54:16 AM
The Creeping Terror (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057970/) 1963. I used to think the guy in the gorilla suit with the diver's helmet was the nadir for bad movie monsters. WRONG. This is the ultimate "guy pretending to be an alien in an insane outfit dragging ten feet of what appears to be his own dung" movie. We were calling this "the movie where nobody is smart enough to run away." The subplot of "the government knows about all this shit!" is just to make things sound weirder. UFO lands, government send a farm truck load of soldiers and ONE scientist. From there things go down hill.
There's nothing quite like being terrorized by a monster that's obviously a bolt of carpeting draped over a dozen underpaid extras while co-eds feed themselves to you... if you must watch it, I recommend doing it with two 'bots and a meat puppet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq_Spa9PTyw
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

This one belongs in the "How To Not Direct" Hall of Fame.
PZ Myers

SGOS

It seems that show will never run out of really bad sci fi films.  Sci Fi has progressed since I was a kid.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 26, 2021, 05:14:38 AM
It seems that show will never run out of really bad sci fi films.  Sci Fi has progressed since I was a kid.
I have two "box sets" with fifty horrible scifi and "horror" movies in each. $19.95 for each box.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Birds of Prey

Firstly, I think it's one of the best movies DC put out post-Nolan trilogy; they managed to succeed on capturing the cranked-up humor that Marvel brought to the game in Thor: Ragnarok after mostly failing at that with Suicide Squad as well as kept what made them good in characters that are very blatant analogies to psychological disorders (Zsasz's fetishism of carving himself and victims, Black Mask and his insecurity and immaturity, and Harley the psychologist even making quips about it).

The fight scenes were also really well filmed, with some of the choreography going on for pretty ended runs without cuts and with all the actors involved actually appearing to be doing something most of the time. In some cases, it almost had a John Wick feeling as the combat itself told a story and progressed in a very video game fashion... at others though it was like a scene from a Broadway play as the characters dance their choreographs across wooden cutouts.

Story was pretty good, they fleshed out the characters well enough... I think the fact that it is narrated by an untrustworthy narrator kinda excuses the fact they didn't have 3 hours to really flesh everything out.

All in all, a pretty good movie and I think the negative reactions from Dude-bros and conservatives was a heavy reason it didn't get the recognition it probably actually deserves. I would watch it over any other post-Batman DC movie other than maybe Watchmen. The Joker is a great movie, but not a watch again type of movie tbh.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

T/Y, have to give that one a look.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on July 23, 2021, 03:57:34 AM
The Joker is a great movie, but not a watch again type of movie tbh.
I doubt that anyone would give Joker as high a score as I did, but I consider it the best movie of all genres in 2019, dwarfing whatever might be number 2.  I saw it 4 times in theaters, and at least 4 more times on the disk that I own.  I even forget that it was a DC film, because they went so far off their usual formula.  It's character development was extraordinarily realistic.  While Joker's behavior was extreme, his motives and backstory were easily empathize-able.  In the next Batman film, I'll be in the Joker's corner.  The film actually justifies Joker's existence, and I no longer see him as a psychopathic clown, but just a severely damaged person trying to balance his reality. 

Gawdzilla Sama

BUT in the comics he was a psychopath. So you have to leave the genre entirely to make him sympathetic.
PZ Myers