News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 26, 2021, 10:18:11 AM
Yeah that was it.  It was a long time ago, but I remember the tune well.
And I knew  it would be that tune. My wife at the time used to play it when she wanted to drop a hint. ;-)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Gross Pointe Blank. I've seen it a few times in years and it was one of my fave movies. I'd forgotten all about it. It's still funny and entertaining. LOL E: Good soundtrack too.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

LoriPinkAngel

Just watched Chinatown.  What a classic.  Sad about the ending though.

Mr.Obvious

We are watching 'the happening' for the first time.

I do not regret not watching this sooner.

What an absolute shitshow of a movie.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 08, 2021, 04:40:24 PM
We are watching 'the happening' for the first time.

I do not regret not watching this sooner.

What an absolute shitshow of a movie.
All that CGI!

;-)
PZ Myers

SGOS

OK, I'm a movie junkie.  It's official.  Yesterday (Monday), I went to the movies at the local Regal Cinema, which is now in its second week of the reopening.  It was not the weekend, but people don't seem to be flooding back to the theater in excited masses.  There were 3 cars in the parking lot, and it the first showing of the day at 4:00 PM.  In the past, the first showing could be anywhere from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM.  There was one concession window opening with no one there except a masked attendant.  I shared the movie with a father and his two little girls.  I left the theater after 6:00 PM and the parking lot was still empty with 6 or 7 other movies showing, apparently to empty theater stadiums.

I expected more people.  The media is always showing photos of maskless people hanging out in dense crowds, but this does not seem to be the case with movie theaters in Christiansburg.

Cassia

Clever, campy vampire spoof if you are up for that sort of movie. Inspired the TV series under the same title. I give it 4.5/5 🍿
https://sflix.to/watch-movie/free-what-we-do-in-the-shadows-hd-17484.2508771

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on May 25, 2021, 07:49:41 AM
Clever, campy vampire spoof if you are up for that sort of movie. Inspired the TV series under the same title. I give it 4.5/5 🍿
Yes!  I loved that movie.  An affectionate parody of vampire films, and hands-down the best one.  Fun fact: Twilight became a thing during filming and so they worked in some Twilight jokes.

IIRC, the world could only support a few thousand vampires at the most without breaking the masquerade (revealing to humans the existence of vampires).  Otherwise, vampires could be inferred through an unusually high number of disappearances/deaths in the area.

Also, vampires require human helpers now more than ever.  Not just to operate high-tech gadgets (you better believe vampires would love video surveillance, both for defensive and offensive purposes) but also to deal with human bureaucracy - vehicle registration, property taxes, etc.  Vampires do have the rather nice advantage of being able to live off of their investments through a proxy (they could also steal wealth) and therefore would be able to buy rather large houses, support a fairly lavish lifestyle, and be able to pay human helpers handsomely.

SGOS

Chaos Walking
22% from critics
71% audiences

I'd give it an 8 or higher.  I have no idea what the critics were doing here.  This is a unique sci fi film that breaks away from the common molds.  It held my attention.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 25, 2021, 07:31:58 PMChaos Walking
22% from critics
71% audiences

I'd give it an 8 or higher.  I have no idea what the critics were doing here.  This is a unique sci fi film that breaks away from the common molds.  It held my attention.
You had me at Tom Holland.  What did you like about it?  What makes it unique?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 25, 2021, 07:42:08 PM
You had me at Tom Holland.  What did you like about it?  What makes it unique?
They use a plot device that I'd never even thought of before.  The adventure is actually quite simple and doesn't rely on the device much, but it comes in handy at one point and is a fun surprise. Then there is the demented preacher who is psychotic, which is always good for a laugh.  He doesn't need to be there either, but it's an Easter egg thrown in to test the nerves of believers.  I don't want to spoil anymore.

Sorginak

I was on page 169 last time I was here. You people watch too many movies. :P

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Sorginak on May 25, 2021, 08:44:44 PM
I was on page 169 last time I was here. You people watch too many movies. :P

It's been a year of COVID.

What else were we supposed to do?
Work out? Write novels? Better ourselves? Show dedication in creative ways to the people we love?

Right.

:p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.