News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Just watched 3:10 to Yuma, with bale and Crowe.
First time I watched it. Simple but good story. Straightforward, I would call it. In the best way.

Loved the leads, did a great job. And the dude that played Charlie prince was the star of the show.

Not the most realistic final part, but it works in the theme of the movie. This regarding how ben wade acts.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Rewatched Captain America and the Winter Soldier.  I found it surprising just how little screentime the titular Winter Soldier actually has.  He has like 10-15min total screentime in a 2 hour movie.  And his first appearance was fairly close to the 1-hour mark.  Also, I misremembered how frequently the "Hail Hydra" slogan was said.  I could've sworn it was said onscreen way more often than it actually was.

While I don't dislike the movie, I didn't much care for it outside of its two admittedly awesome action scenes.  I think a big factor was the central plot/theme of the movie.  I felt like the director was saying to me: "You thought SHIELD and related authorities were the good guys?  Fool!  They're crooked and they're secretly plotting to kill/enslave you!"  So, the bad guys are bad and the good guys are bad.  Very, very few people are trustworthy.  And the authorities at large can't be trusted and should not be powerful.  Because you can't trust *almost* anyone. Quite a large spoonful of pessimism in my otherwise idealistic superhero films.  :/

And this movie, combined with Age of Ultron, really paint a picture of high-tech attempts to step up security as inherently dangerous crapshoots at best, and liberty-robbing or planet-annihilating at worst.  I suppose they had to fail for purely dramatic reasons, but damn, the implications here are pretty damning and a luddite's wet dream.

All cards on the table, I gravitate heavily towards Iron Man precisely because it highlights the promise of technology to solve problems and create a better world, even while acknowledging that technology also causes its share of problems (see Armor Wars and the Technovore two-parter)

Gawdzilla Sama

Reigo: King Of The Sea Monsters
IMDb 3.8
1 h 23 min
13+
The powerful battleship Yamato, while on patrol in the Pacific, cross paths with the massive kaiju Reigo, the deep-sea monster! The stage is set for an epic battle to unfold between the world's largest battleship and the mysterious dragon-like monster - with the fate of humankind hanging in the balance.

Somehow this got three stars. Negative three would be better. Boss Lady and I are fans of really  bad movies but we couldn't finish this one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 16, 2021, 06:35:42 AM
Reigo: King Of The Sea Monsters
IMDb 3.8
1 h 23 min
13+
The powerful battleship Yamato, while on patrol in the Pacific, cross paths with the massive kaiju Reigo, the deep-sea monster! The stage is set for an epic battle to unfold between the world's largest battleship and the mysterious dragon-like monster - with the fate of humankind hanging in the balance.

Somehow this got three stars. Negative three would be better. Boss Lady and I are fans of really  bad movies but we couldn't finish this one.
I have to try... ;)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on April 16, 2021, 10:27:59 AM
I have to try... ;)
As a WWII-focused historian this movie was just that much worse.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Do you guys have any rules for movies?  Because I try to only watch certain movies at certain times.

Christmas movies only during December.  Halloween movies only during October.  Vampire movies only at night (vampires are only active at night, therefore it should be night while viewing them).  Conversely, movies set primarily during the day, like Fury Road, should be viewed during the day.

Also, it's ideal to watch movies set in the future at roughly the time they're set.  For example, watching 2001 A Space Odyssey during 2001 or Blade Runner during 2019.  (obviously, not the first viewing for practical reasons)

No one may talk or make loud noises while watching A Quiet Place.  If they do, it's appropriate to silently shush them with a fearful expression.

Gawdzilla Sama

I ignore holidays for the most part, insofar as these hillbillies will allow given their propensity to celebrate "Wednesday" with random explosions well into the night.
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

I only watch holiday movies near holidays. I don't watch movies while eating meals, snacks are okay. One intermission during the middle of the movie is acceptable. I don't watch movies with people who I know will not enjoy the genre.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 23, 2021, 07:17:33 AM
I only watch holiday movies near holidays. I don't watch movies while eating meals, snacks are okay. One intermission during the middle of the movie is acceptable. I don't watch movies with people who I know will not enjoy the genre.
Boss Lady was delighted to learn that I liked really bad scifi/fantasy/monster movies.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 23, 2021, 07:50:58 AM
Boss Lady was delighted to learn that I liked really bad scifi/fantasy/monster movies.

Zilla, who is this Boss Lady you keep talking about?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

LOL. How long you have been married?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on April 23, 2021, 07:17:33 AM
Mostly agree, except I'm a the dinner with a movie guy.  I'll hold off on dinner until it's time for a movie.  I have a dinning table in a sunny nook.  Haven't sat there in weeks.  It's mostly in case Better Homes and Gardens stops by to interview me.  As a home furnishing, it's probably the best area in the house. I've got medical records and tax information stored on it right now.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 24, 2021, 08:25:15 AM
This time? Since 2010.

Oh yeah...I think you've mentioned it before. This is the third time, right?