News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Bored so I watched Coming 2 America.....should’ve stayed bored.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 07, 2021, 07:55:11 AM
Bored so I watched Coming 2 America.....should’ve stayed bored.
Too bad, the first movie was so much fun.  I watched the trailer and felt that Eddie Murphy playing the dignified father probably wouldn't work as well.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 07, 2021, 04:52:32 AM
Kong: skull island

Kinda dumb, but fun in an absent-minded way.
They'll cycle back to fill out Kong's origin story in the next one.

Meanwhile I'll keep yelling at the screen, "You can fly! You can get out of reach of that monkey!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

I Care A Lot on Netflix.

One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. The lead character is a sociopath who works with a corrupt doctor to obtain legal guardianship of elderly people so she can lock them in facilities, torture them, and steal all their money and possessions. The audience is supposed to sympathize with her because... She's a lesbian? I don't know. It might work if this was a dark comedy but it's not. Its contrivances just become more unbelievable as it goes on. For example, in the real world if a forty-year-old is found unconscious, doesn't have identification, and is asleep for a few hours in the hospital, no one goes before a judge and obtains legal guardianship. That is the level of ridiculousness in this movie.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 09, 2021, 09:26:01 PM
I Care A Lot on Netflix.

One of the worst movies I've seen in a while. The lead character is a sociopath who works with a corrupt doctor to obtain legal guardianship of elderly people so she can lock them in facilities, torture them, and steal all their money and possessions. The audience is supposed to sympathize with her because... She's a lesbian? I don't know. It might work if this was a dark comedy but it's not. Its contrivances just become more unbelievable as it goes on. For example, in the real world if a forty-year-old is found unconscious, doesn't have identification, and is asleep for a few hours in the hospital, no one goes before a judge and obtains legal guardianship. That is the level of ridiculousness in this movie.

I know, right? Spot on. Wrote something about it. I think we are expected to symptahise with her because she understands that you are either a 'predator' or a 'prey' and acts according to that. This has been the main so-called post truth theme lately. From documentaries about economy to movies and tv shows. Zeitgeist baby! :lol:

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Afraid of Rain  9/10
A very good psychological thriller, with a 90% emphasis on psychological, and it is far more interesting and thought provoking than it is scary or offensive.

Edit:  It may be better described as psychological drama.  The thriller part is just necessary to the story, rather than an attempt at exploitation.

SGOS

Greenland
I'm a little way past the halfway mark, and I'm a nervous wreck.
[spoiler]
QuotePlot:  Just when you thing, things can't get any worse.
[/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

"Ellie to control." "Do you read me?"
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

The Boys in the Band.

1968, New York City. A group of middle aged gay men gather for a house birthday party. It's adapted from a play, which was apparently ground breaking in 1968. The playwright Mart Crowley was involved with it. And he talks about how he was warned about 'not to go there' by the people in position of authority back then. It's quite a risk. He says he's sold the play as 'comedy-drama' which while the comedy part made it lighter for people to watch/accept that he actually wanted them to see the tragedy burried in back then. (I think he also means that the young people today should see the long way that has been traveled to put it lightly.)

But I didn't get why the movie was expected to be 'ground breaking' today, 50 years later.

[spoiler]I liked that the cast is full gay. I liked that it is about gay people only, told by gay actors. But it is not 1960s. It's just a good movie. And I think it deserves a second watch after some time. You can dissect, analyse everything in it to death. But I don't think it's necessary. It certainly doesn't treat the audience as morons, thank fuck.

They've kept the play quality, it is one of those one stage, narrow space, dialogue pieces. It's ugly, annoying, sometimes even disturbing, obnoxious...over all brutal. I esp. liked how the characters goes in and out from their individual demeanours -which some are deliberate, even pretentious, some are defensive, some are plain and natural- as they face conflict and bully, abuse each other as the story evolved. They are all different. [/spoiler]

Having said all that, I'd like to watch the stories of people with every kind of stigmatised identities from their point of view, in their world as they make and live it and not in some relation to the standard norms and social tragedy anymore. Not because, it's you know 'oh so woke.' Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying let's have a pink, light fantasy bullshit. Obviously, as dark and depressing it is, violence and abuse is often part or their lives, pasts. I don't mean remove that. Never. But honestly, I'm sick of watching the same old stories about these groups with esp. white het men and women attached to it... We have seen that. I genuinely can't enjoy it... unless maybe it is something very original and different I guess.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 14, 2021, 09:01:39 AM
He says he's sold the play as 'comedy-drama' which while the comedy part made it lighter for people to watch/accept that he actually wanted them to see the tragedy burried in back then. (I think he also means that the young people today should see the long way that has been traveled to put it lightly.)

I saw the original Boys in the Band with a group of gay men shortly after coming out and it made me want to go back in the closet. I don't think young people today really understand what life was like for LGBTQ people in the past, particularly the self-hatred and isolation.

https://youtu.be/vRS4uSAP9qs

Cassia

There is a slice of time in our childhood when we don't even know about prejudice. Then we are "taught" to hate by the very ones we look to for guidance. Art, music, books and movies do allow us to switch shoes for a while and we can actually get back to that beautiful window of time. Even for those who are so far gone, it helps, I think.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on March 16, 2021, 10:18:03 AM
There is a slice of time in our childhood when we don't even know about prejudice. Then we are "taught" to hate by the very ones we look to for guidance. Art, music, books and movies do allow us to switch shoes for a while and we can actually get back to that beautiful window of time. Even for those who are so far gone, it helps, I think.
All too often the "very ones we look to for guidance" are just people, with no idea what they're doing wrong.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Promising Young Woman
I saw this cold.  I didn't have a clue what to expect.  I'm only going to recommend it without comment.  Just see it.

Hijiri Byakuren

Godzilla vs Kong. 8/10. Would probably be a 9, but it's clear they cut some vital scenes to keep it under 2 hours.

Probably the most violent Godzilla movie I've ever seen. I can't remember another film where he slashes and draws blood with his claws, or actively tries to drown an enemy. Godzilla really wants to fuck up Kong's shit, and it shows.

It's really more of a Kong movie than a Godzilla one, though. The latter mainly serves as a secondary antagonist. [spoiler]The primary antagonist, Mechagodzilla, is actually introduced killing a Skullcrawler, which is a Kong enemy. Although it turns out Mechagodzilla is actually being piloted by the brain of the severed Ghidorah head recovered at the end of the last film, so that ties it back more to Godzilla's lore again.[/spoiler]

And yes, there is a reference to the infamous tree attack from the original King Kong vs Godzilla, and it's both hilarious and fitting for the scene where it happens.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Watching GvK for third time in two days. Bright spot in this stupid time.

Some of you might remember that I said the real enemy would be revealed, and I unblushingly claim that credit.
PZ Myers