News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 27, 2021, 07:27:46 AMI've had a great deal of fun at the movies by never, ever, reading reviews.
It feels like that might be a hard thing to do while browsing and posting in a movie review thread.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 01, 2021, 02:40:33 PM
It feels like that might be a hard thing to do while browsing and posting in a movie review thread.
Great is the power of ignore.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

I never read about or esp. watch the trailers before watching something. It's a bad idea.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 02, 2021, 07:31:25 AM
I never read about or esp. watch the trailers before watching something. It's a bad idea.
I find them amusing, and, as I don't live for the "great reveals" in movies, I don't worry about them spoiling the movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 02, 2021, 09:10:31 AM
I find them amusing, and, as I don't live for the "great reveals" in movies, I don't worry about them spoiling the movie.

Interesting. I can't help it. I don't want to know anything about it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

GSOgymrat

If it's a movie I know I'm interested in seeing, I avoid the trailers and reviews. If I'm uncertain about a movie, I check out reviews because I don't want to waste my time.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 02, 2021, 07:31:25 AM
It depends.  Trailers can help you get a feel for the movie - what type of movie it is, who's in it, and hopefully a very small part of the plot.  All very useful for determining if you'd like the film.

Problems only arise when the trailer is misleading or it gives away too much of the plot.  Studios are under a lot of pressure to put as many big moments as possible in the trailer to make it as enticing as possible, which has a tendency to spoil any big reveals.

Generally speaking, I think they shouldn't put anything in the trailer that happens past the 30 minute mark.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on March 02, 2021, 09:57:22 AM
Interesting. I can't help it. I don't want to know anything about it.
Personal preference, perfectly acceptable.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 02, 2021, 10:31:01 AM
If it's a movie I know I'm interested in seeing, I avoid the trailers and reviews. If I'm uncertain about a movie, I check out reviews because I don't want to waste my time.
Seeing Wonder Woman's dead boyfriend running around 1984 would be a bit of spoiler, no?
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 02, 2021, 01:04:59 PM
Seeing Wonder Woman's dead boyfriend running around 1984 would be a bit of spoiler, no?
It would make for a good trailer, because people would be interested in finding out how that happened.  While it is a spoiler, a bigger spoiler would be the one that explained how it happened.  That would almost explain the premise of the entire film.  Like Gymrat, I avoid wasting time and money by reading reviews.  However, I've wasted money after reading good reviews of films I hated.  I also have seen a number of films cold that blew me away.  The trouble is I've walked out of a number of films I went to cold that were horrible.  Clearly, there is no right or wrong way to do it.

Gawdzilla Sama

I'm not easily lead, so I watch youtube reviews for the visuals, sound down.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLMEgP6Grak

Roberto Baggio was one of the greatest players to ever live, almost a Patron Saint of Italian football, and yet he is remembered now for missing a free kick against Brasil to lose the World Cup finals (that he carried the team to).

Off the pitch, he has received a Man of Peace award from the Nobel Peace Laureates for his extensive charity work and human rights advocacy, and is a devout Buddhist (and was even back in his playing days, which in an extremely Catholic country like Italy in the 80s-90s made it more impressive he was revered).

Really looking forward to this movie, though he was before my time he still remains one of my favorite players; the technical flair and almost poetic movement and passing is timeless.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Yeah trailers are often misleading. But that's not the reason of my attitude.

I have been waching movies since I was a toddler. In the worse, obese way. With no age restriction. Especially when you are young, you pick up what's been labeled 'cool' according to the time and make your choices based on pure pleasure and emotions, strict genres. (For example, we check almost every science fiction piece that comes out.) And this creates a taste and a pattern. Which is inevitable. But it also dulling and blunting. And unfortunately, watching movies and tv shows is not just some innocent diversion, it shapes our minds and affect our judgement, evaluations, our interactions with the real world...etc., doesn't matter how conscious we are that they are certain kind products designed to be sold. You get what I mean. Esp. now we are at a stagnation point artwise with platforms like Netflix, Amazon, HBO...etc.

But even before that at some point in the past, I have stopped 'choosing' movies/series to 'like'. It kind of happened naturally. Interestingly enough, it becomes an easy habit because you instantly realise that you already watch the trailers or read the views of movies you would watch at some point anyway. We are vritually closed shut to any other kind of material. It's not something that happens often but I've also found that you can even not like a movie but find meaning in it. In the end, it's kind of a way of checking, catching yourself out against a whole; the audience, the art...etc.

(I haven't been able to make it with music yet. I haven't listened any music since...oh gawd... I can't get into it and just listen old songs when I drink. It's not like listening music, more like expression of mood sequences.)

I don't know. Probably, everything has been going down since The City of Lost Children and I caught up with it somewhere suitable to my generation and it is a void. I feel better with knowing the least about what I am clicking on. Not to sound like a smart ass, but I think I'm waiting to be surprised, and it feels like the '20th century' again when it happens in some level. Emotional time machine. Take that Godot! :p

Shiranu

Tron (1982)

The first 15 minutes or so, I was concerned about how much I was going to enjoy it; it seemed really disjointed and the CGI/film tricks were jarring.

However once I got invested in the story, and the CGI became more familiar to my brain, I actually really enjoyed it. The visuals actually look really cool to this day, even if they are bad.

My only complaint is the character development was (very) rushed in some respects, but that is pretty common in movies of that era.

Overall really enjoyed it, and will probably watch it again sometime.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Kong: skull island

Kinda dumb, but fun in an absent-minded way.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.