News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 26, 2021, 10:22:21 PM
I hate the idea of a Venom with no Spider-Man. I haven't watched it in part because of that. And the reviews weren't glowing either, so I don't feel like I missed anything.

It was fun in a dumb way. Nothing challenging. Kind of fun to see a different take on the whole superhero genre that has been overtaking Hollywood.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 26, 2021, 10:22:21 PM
I hate the idea of a Venom with no Spider-Man. I haven't watched it in part because of that. And the reviews weren't glowing either, so I don't feel like I missed anything.
I've had a great deal of fun at the movies by never, ever, reading reviews.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 27, 2021, 03:32:01 AM
It was fun in a dumb way. 
Very fun. It was a comic book movie. Don't expect those to be "War and Peace".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Fun triple-feature:

Mission to Mars
Red Planet
The Martian

"Never go into orbit around Mars."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Save Yourselves
9/10 For those who have a taste for weird.

I liked it, but then I like things that don't follow the usual Hollywood formulas, and I'm fascinated by the strange.

Not really much of a spoiler, but you may prefer to watch it cold.
[spoiler]The main characters are stereotypes of whatever generation is currently considered the weird generation, which I guess could be any generation, but as shallow as they are, I found myself liking them.  Would I hang out with them in real life?  Most assuredly not, but they are not offensive.  They are actually quite likeable.  They are typically addicted to their digital technology, which seems to mean just their phones and little else, and they are well aware of how much their phones distract them from the meaning of life.

They decide to take a week off from their jobs, leave their phones behind, and run to upstate New York to live in an isolated cabin, where they can reconnect to life and to each other.  But apparently the real life and the reality they want to reconnect with is nothing like the reality they expected.  It's much more weird than the couple themselves.  In other words ultra weird.  Maybe if they weren't such airheads to begin with, they could cope with this reality, but I think not.  They just add their incompetence to the mess, and stumble along.

As related to the movie title "Save Yourselves," do they survive?  Well that's a good question.  Maybe there will be a sequel, or in keeping with the idea behind the film, maybe not.  I don't think it would make much difference.  The film stands alone pretty well by itself.  I watched it twice so I could spot the hints about what was happening.  I'll probably watch it again too.[/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Ha, I'm not the only one who liked Venom, lol. It would be better if the didn't rush it. They could have stretched it like they do with the other ones. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

I am Mother. It's OK. Nothing really new or interesting.

Also interestingly enough, some people interpretated the plot in ways the movie doesn't actually show anything about or maybe I didn't get it, lol. Weird.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

"The She-Creature" -39/Nil. 1956 C feature about a Svengali who can summon previous lives of his subjects. One subject is so "strong" that he can summon a physical manifestation of  a, I guess, ancient sea monster. The actors seem embarrassed but in the "I'm getting paid" mode. Available on Amazon and Youtube for your Bad Movie Fridays.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Daredevil. Made it to 20 something mins. I was just curious how bad it is and expecting a standart movie with a bad choice of casting as the hero, sticking out like a sore thumb, but movie itself is pretty bad anyway. I don't think any other actor could have saved it.

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 28, 2021, 08:46:47 AM
Daredevil. Made it to 20 something mins. I was just curious how bad it is and expecting a standart movie with a bad choice of casting as the hero, sticking out like a sore thumb, but movie itself is pretty bad anyway. I don't think any other actor could have saved it.
I either missed that at the box office or it made such a poor impression on me that I can't remember seeing it.  It made a lot of money, but didn't fare that well with critics.  When it was made in 2003, Marvel had yet to become the icon it is today, and while I always enjoyed superhero movies going back to Christopher Reeves, I was never overwhelmed until the first Iron Man came on the scene.  I think that was the beginning of Marvel's Hollywood revolution that brought crowds back to the theaters. 

I had to google DareDevil just to explain to myself how I could have missed a Marvel Movie, and one thing I learned from this was that Elektra with Jennifer Garner was a spinoff of Daredevil, which was an even bigger failure than DareDevil, and ended the plans for a DareDevil sequel.

But to get to my point, I liked Elektra and added it to my collection.  It starts off with an interesting beginning and a lot of excitement, and it really has my attention through most of the movie, but for some reason that still puzzles me, the last 20 minutes of the movie seems to detract from everything before it, and I'm thinking that might be why the movie is remembered as a failure.  But to me, the first 60 minutes are well worth watching, even if the movie may only get a 5 out of 10, the first half is at least 8/10.

drunkenshoe

Yeah it was made before the Marvel era. I didn't think of that way. But I hadn't even seen the trailer, I don't know anything about Daredevil. It was on prime so wanted to check it. I have seen Elektra I'm sure, but I don't remember anything.

That woman didn't look right to me in anything else after Alias series. I have no idea why. She gives a sort of impression to me that she is some shortcoming version of another actress, or like she is 'made' of styles of a few other actresses, part by part here and there. I only liked Affleck in Kevin Smith movies, honestly. I feel similar about him. There has been this idea of him but he never actualy fills in. Something is not in place with those two, but I have no idea what. They look like all hype but nothing else, project actors.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 28, 2021, 08:46:47 AM

The Netflix series is much better, but I enjoyed the movie at the time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I Care A Lot. Nope. It's a good example of how to ruin a good idea. I liked it at the beginning, the idea is really good. Then of course, they had to push it to some ridiculous level, probably because going on with the idea requires superior writing. It's bad.

[spoiler]The ending...seesh. It's not really an ending but more like fast food justice served. If they think this is the American psycho profile of the white female, they are in for surprise and really stuck in somewhere small. She is so two dimensional, you can't even feel the evil properly. Why is she like that? Because she found out you are either a predator or a prey in life and she is so ambitious to be a predator. Can't you tell from the way she looks from the speed bike in red light? She reaches to the 1% at some point (we are told about it), getting bigger and bigger with the mafia, who partners with her as a result of her evil company's deeds, a mafia so stupid and incompetent, they can't even stop two people while they can just kill them or threaten their staff, the doctor she is working with to ruin her which would be very easy considering the stuff she has been doing. But she is better at mafia than mafia without any experience. Or she could have run away with those stones and not work ever in her life again...but she is so ambitious and she is a predator. And she has just started. The movie also includes the most naive judge ever shown in American movies. Myeh. [/spoiler]

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 28, 2021, 11:49:27 AM
The Netflix series is much better, but I enjoyed the movie at the time.

You know what, after SGOS reminded that it was made before the Comic era, maybe I would have liked it then. If you look it that way, this was what a comic book movie then, lol.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers