Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 30, 2020, 09:04:43 PM
The 2004 one with Halle Berry?
Yes.  After I posted that, I remembered that there were earlier Cat Women, but for some reason, I don't include any of the 20th Century superheroes in the Superhero Renaissance.  Well my Renaissance, anyway.  I don't even remember them.  My spellbound awe did not happen until the 21st Century.  I usually liked the older films, but something happened around the turn of the century, where Superheroes became more real and memorable, while at the same time dominating the film industry and the theater audiences.  Halle Berry was a transitional figure.  So was Brandon Routh of Superman Returns.  Halle Berry still had some of the unrefined comical edges of the old, and while she is naturally sexy, she carried "sexy" to a laughable extreme in Cat Woman, but she had more realistic and scary antagonists.  Brandon Routh had a more serious character, but his antagonist was ridiculous; Remember Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor demonstrating how he was going to take over the world by staging a train wreck with his Lionel model railroad.  When that happened, his threat to mankind was reduced to zero IMO.

Most of the time I forget all those actors that played earlier superheroes.  They just aren't memorable to me.  I just looked them up, there must be 30 Supermen, most of them I never heard of.  Batman too.  And just as many Cat Women.  And most of the 20th Century villains could have been played by Abbot and Costello.  OK, this is more about me than it is about them, and I'll be happy to respect anyone else's opinion.  My division between the old and the new, the fake and the real, and the silly and the awesome is totally arbitrary, and this post was just me justifying and explaining why I forgot earlier Cat Women.

Baruch

I remember the first Cat Girl, meow!  Julie Newmar.

"To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar" .. fun movie, inevitable tie-in.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 31, 2020, 05:57:36 AMAnd most of the 20th Century villains could have been played by Abbot and Costello.
Imho, you can see the transition from silly, mustache-twirling buffoons to serious and threatening with Jack Nicholson's Joker and Mark Hamill's Joker.

aitm

Many movies were made with the intention of a “message”. Alas, they over estimated the average intelligence of their viewers. Either it’s scary good, lovable or funny...no messages were ever found.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on December 31, 2020, 04:07:28 PM
Many movies were made with the intention of a “message”. Alas, they over estimated the average intelligence of their viewers. Either it’s scary good, lovable or funny...no messages were ever found.

Philosophical or political messaging is overrated.  Pseudo-intellectuals of the world unite, you have only your library to be burned.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: aitm on December 31, 2020, 04:07:28 PMMany movies were made with the intention of a “message”. Alas, they over estimated the average intelligence of their viewers. Either it’s scary good, lovable or funny...no messages were ever found.
It depends on the person.  Viewers Are Geniuses and/or Morons, after all.  I've caught stuff that I don't think many have, but I've also missed stuff.  I quite like videos that dissect movies or at least discuss them, because it gives me an opportunity to reroll perception, heh.

the_antithesis

Cassia

The shit doggiest movie that ever squeezed from a sphincter..in it's entirety !
Best review..I saw this movie on a plane and people still walked out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-WOjJpYuRE

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 31, 2020, 07:18:07 PM
Oh, that was an award-winning performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-7s_yeQuDg
I vaguely recall that reviewers trashed it, which may account for me missing it when it came out.  But I still had a good time watching it.

the_antithesis

It wasn't just reviewers. It was hated. It was that year's Rise of Skywalker.

I find it interesting that you'd enjoyed it.

Hydra009

Yeah, I mean, I don't want this to be a thread where we bag on each other about our choices, but man, there are some movies with seriously bad overall receptions and Catwoman is definitely among them.  Though I do note that it got many more 10-star ratings on IMDB than I expected (I expected zero).  I find it so fascinating how people can see the same thing and have completely different impressions of it.

Gawdzilla Sama

"Notzilla" on Prime. Boss Lady was laughing her ass off.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 01, 2021, 01:54:29 AM
It wasn't just reviewers. It was hated. It was that year's Rise of Skywalker.

I find it interesting that you'd enjoyed it.
I sent for a copy from ebay after I watched it, partly to complete my superhero movie collection, but I am looking forward to seeing it again.  Price on ebay:  $2.  However it was from one of those guys who slams you on the shipping, so it was actually $6.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 01, 2021, 02:14:52 AM
there are some movies with seriously bad overall receptions and Catwoman is definitely among them.  Though I do note that it got many more 10-star ratings on IMDB than I expected (I expected zero).  I find it so fascinating how people can see the same thing and have completely different impressions of it.
I looked it up on rotten tomatoes.  I think it was 18% for viewers, and 9% from critics, which would have resulted in an immediate pass back then, and probably still would today but I know that movies I like and dislike can often be that far off from the reviewers, but things that only 1 out of five people agree with is typical of so many of my priorities in life.

Mr.Obvious

Saw red sparrow.

Awesome flick.
Preferred the lead here way over het hunger game flicks, which already were okay.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.