News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Writers run out of steam (Game of Thrones) or paint their plot into a corner ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 21, 2020, 01:58:22 AM
I was impressed with just how much child murder they were able to get away with on the big screen.
Harry Potter set the pace.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 21, 2020, 01:58:22 AMI was impressed with just how much child murder they were able to get away with on the big screen. ...That's a sentence I just said. Hi, FBI. I accept my place on your watch list.
I just googled "movies with the most child deaths" so hi FBI, NSA, CIA, and several as of yet undisclosed organizations.  I assure you, it was purely for academic purposes!

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2020, 03:48:32 PM
I just googled "movies with the most child deaths" so hi FBI, NSA, CIA, and several as of yet undisclosed organizations.  I assure you, it was purely for academic purposes!

The CIA/FBI/NSA are all Democrats anyway ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 21, 2020, 03:48:32 PM

You gonna share the fruits of your research?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

I started reading The New Mutants comic when it came out in 1982 and yearned as a kid to see these characters on the big screen. The movie was made in 2017 and had serious problems partially due to Disney buying the X-Men franchise from Fox. It had bad pre-screenings, calls for reshoots that never happen... the movie was said to be a train wreck and was shelved. Some fans were surprised to see it released apparently without major changes in a pandemic. I was reluctant to even watch it but after seeing the Demon Bear in the preview I had to check it out.

The movie isn't great but it isn't a disaster, in fact, it's nowhere near as bad as Dark Phoenix or Origins: Wolverine. It's more a YA spookhouse movie about trauma than the typical superhero origin story. There is a nostalgic vibe to this movie and it lifts scenes directly from 80s and 90s movies and TV shows, which I took as more homage than ripoff-- this is after all a story from an 80s comic. I understand why they wanted reshoots because the characters need to be fleshed out, the scares need to be scarier, and the plot tightened.

[spoiler]I like the idea that these kids are sequestered because they have killed people and there is ambiguity on whether they are being punished or protected. Anyone who knows the comic or pays attention realizes why they are being "haunted"-- Danielle Moonstar's mutant power is to physically manifest whatever terrifies a person, including herself. She can't control it and unconsciously kills everyone in her community by creating the Demon Bear. This one messed up power and a good premise for a horror movie, it just needed better execution.[/spoiler]

https://youtu.be/W_vJhUAOFpI

Cassia

Under the Skin, 2013 science fiction film directed by Jonathan Glazer and written by Glazer and Walter Campbell, loosely based on the 2000 novel by Michel Faber. It stars Scarlett Johansson.

I wasn't in the mood for a movie; however I couldn't top watching. Gave me 'Eraserhead' vibes at times. Johansson is not too hard to watch either...
:rockout:

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 21, 2020, 09:25:34 AM
I wasn't wild about the ending, either.  I felt the first book was the best.  And I finished the series because I wanted to finish it.  Over all, I enjoyed the books and would recommend them to those who like that type of subject matter.
After Hunger Games came to the screen, I went to the Library for the rest of the books, but I didn't read the first book because I had seen the movie.  I just needed to see what was going to happen next.  So I can't compare Hunger Games to the book, but to me, what I read in the books that followed reminded me of what I read in reading class in elementary school with limited vocabulary, and not much description.  I thought it was aimed at maybe average Freshman and Sophomore levels, which I guess may be what they mean by young adult level books.  I didn't care for the books, and when the corresponding movies came out, I didn't care for them either.  What started out as post apocalyptic movie (which I liked a lot), turned into something more like supernatural, a transition which I was unable to make in my head.

Those other "young adult series," that followed from Hollywood, were the same, and some of them never even finished with the sequels.  They just bombed themselves to death and disappeared.  But I did like "Hunger Games."  I own it and still watch it from time to time.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on November 22, 2020, 08:01:56 AM
Under the Skin, 2013 science fiction film directed by Jonathan Glazer and written by Glazer and Walter Campbell, loosely based on the 2000 novel by Michel Faber. It stars Scarlett Johansson.

I wasn't in the mood for a movie; however I couldn't top watching. Gave me 'Eraserhead' vibes at times. Johansson is not too hard to watch either...
:rockout:
I have that one filed under "Incomprehensible Fantasy" in my Library, and like you, I can't NOT watch it.  Maybe watching it on acid would make more sense.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on November 22, 2020, 05:58:05 AM
I started reading The New Mutants comic when it came out in 1982
I was going to pass when I read the reviews, but now I think it might be worth a watch.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 08:22:13 AM
After Hunger Games came to the screen, I went to the Library for the rest of the books, but I didn't read the first book because I had seen the movie.  I just needed to see what was going to happen next.  So I can't compare Hunger Games to the book, but to me, what I read in the books that followed reminded me of what I read in reading class in elementary school with limited vocabulary, and not much description.  I thought it was aimed at maybe average Freshman and Sophomore levels, which I guess may be what they mean by young adult level books.  I didn't care for the books, and when the corresponding movies came out, I didn't care for them either.  What started out as post apocalyptic movie (which I liked a lot), turned into something more like supernatural, a transition which I was unable to make in my head.

Those other "young adult series," that followed from Hollywood, were the same, and some of them never even finished with the sequels.  They just bombed themselves to death and disappeared.  But I did like "Hunger Games."  I own it and still watch it from time to time.
It is 'young adult' fiction.  But the lack of a high level vocabulary did not bother me--The Hunger Games was sort of an experiment for me in that it was the first 'young adult' work I had read.  I liked the story, so I kept reading the books in the series.  It is not as good as The Stand, Swan, or The Earth Abides, but it was a good, fast read for me.  The first movie was the best for me in that it followed the book more than the others movies followed the later books.  But I also enjoyed the movies.  I was reading The Last Ship just prior to stumbling upon The Hunger Games series.  I wanted very badly to like The Last Ship, and still love the premise of a 'last' warship that was out to sea when the world wide virus killed off 90% of the world's population.  But the writing was so stilted that I could not finish the book (a rarity for me); then launched into the Hunger Games series, which I think made it seem much better than it is, maybe. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 08:28:44 AM
I have that one filed under "Incomprehensible Fantasy" in my Library, and like you, I can't NOT watch it.  Maybe watching it on acid would make more sense.
I did not know why she was on Earth. At the end of the movie I didn't care why she was on Earth.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 22, 2020, 01:12:26 PM
I did not know why she was on Earth. At the end of the movie I didn't care why she was on Earth.
The ending felt like the editor of the film took the ending from some other movie, and just stuck it there.  It kinda felt like, "Yeah, OK.  That must be the end of whatever I was watching." 

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 02:35:01 PM
The ending felt like the editor of the film took the ending from some other movie, and just stuck it there.  It kinda felt like, "Yeah, OK.  That must be the end of whatever I was watching." 
Yeah, one from the "How do I get out of this?" bucket. The whole movie was a means of showing that Scarlett looks better with her clothes on.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on November 22, 2020, 08:22:13 AMAfter Hunger Games came to the screen, I went to the Library for the rest of the books, but I didn't read the first book because I had seen the movie.  I just needed to see what was going to happen next.

The first movie is pretty decent. It was interesting seeing the characters come to life on screen, before they died. But there were some details in the book that aren't spelled out to you in the movie. Katniss is a silent protagonist in both versions, but in the book, her thoughts are explained to the reader.

Also, the book is a lot more brutal. A lot of moments are put on fast forward in the movie. You don't get time for those emotions to sink in, because they've got to condense the whole story for one sitting. I'd recommend giving the book a read.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--