News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on November 09, 2020, 11:42:56 PM
I actually went to a movie in a theater.  We saw Honest Thief with Liam Neeson. I was a good film.   We ordered the tickets online and chose our seats.  I think there were maybe 5 other people in the theater.  It was really weird.

When I used to go to movies, pré Covid, we'd tend to go to the last few viewings of films. You usually have very few people in the audience then. I prefer that.
No people checking their phones. No smelly nachos n cheese next seat. No commentary.... Just you and a big screen.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 10, 2020, 06:08:04 AM
When I used to go to movies, pré Covid, we'd tend to go to the last few viewings of films. You usually have very few people in the audience then. I prefer that.
No people checking their phones. No smelly nachos n cheese next seat. No commentary.... Just you and a big screen.

Yeah or the first one a week day.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: LoriPinkAngel on November 09, 2020, 11:42:56 PM
I actually went to a movie in a theater.  We saw Honest Thief with Liam Neeson. I was a good film.   We ordered the tickets online and chose our seats.  I think there were maybe 5 other people in the theater.  It was really weird.

Try attending local amateur theater, if the Rulers ever allow that again.  Maybe audition for a part?  Much better than a movie, and cheaper and easier to get to than Broadway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Spontaneous    Critics loved it.  98% at Rotten tomatoes.  I'll give it a three. 

I have no idea what I missed.  It was unique, 2 points. I didn't fall asleep too much, 1 point.  I didn't see a purpose for the movie.

Cassia

Just saw Patton, 1970, with George C Scott. Timely, because I have recently become interested in that event. It was a very entertaining movie for sure...but my BS detector was constantly triggering when his German advisories were conducting a personality profile on him.
One thing about him in real life was his attitude towards African Americans. Quote:

Men, you are the first Negro tankers ever to fight in the American Army. I would never have asked for you if you weren't good. I have nothing but the best in my army. I don't care what color you are, so long as you go up there and kill those Kraut sonsabitches! Everyone has their eyes on you and is expecting great things from you. Most of all, your race is looking forward to you. Don't let them down and, damn you, don't let me down!"

Gawdzilla Sama

When he said "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!" he was referring to a book by Hans Guderian, "Achtung! Panzer!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cassia

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 16, 2020, 02:41:19 PM
When he said "Rommel, you magnificent bastard, I read your book!" he was referring to a book by Hans Guderian, "Achtung! Panzer!"
Seems the French military perhaps didn't get a chance to read that book and were thinking WWI style all over again. General Patton was a real fighter for sure. I was shocked to learn of his early accidental death in 1945. Didn't even get to gloat or be a public figure at all, damn.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cassia on November 16, 2020, 05:18:52 PM
Seems the French military perhaps didn't get a chance to read that book and were thinking WWI style all over again.
DeGaulle was the only French high ranking officer to have anything close to a good idea how to use armored forces, and he didn't have enough to change things.
QuoteGeneral Patton was a real fighter for sure. I was shocked to learn of his early accidental death in 1945. Didn't even get to gloat or be a public figure at all, damn.[/color]
Conspiracy theorist say he was offed. Unlikely.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 16, 2020, 02:41:19 PM

Perhaps.  The book on his bed side (in the movie) was "Infantry Attacks" ... by Erwin Rommel .. based on Rommels experience as an infantry officer in WW I.  The fake cover said "Tank Attacks".  The whole point being (getting inside the other guys military timing/planning loop).  Guderian's book came out in 1937, so he probably read that too.  I don't think Patton would have faired well on the Eastern Front against Guderian.  Rommel's line of supply was being strangled.  Even the Germans were surprised how well Blitzkrieg worked.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cassia on November 16, 2020, 05:18:52 PM
Seems the French military perhaps didn't get a chance to read that book and were thinking WWI style all over again. General Patton was a real fighter for sure. I was shocked to learn of his early accidental death in 1945. Didn't even get to gloat or be a public figure at all, damn.

Improbable.  All competent military officers read potential enemy publications in translation.  Patton was fluent in French.  The French tanks were individually superior to the early Panzers ... heavier with bigger cannon and plentiful, but were deployed incompetently.  The French state and high command were completely incompetent, except for DeGaulle.  But the whole political situation in France was trash in 1940, same as GB and the US.  The 1940 Ardenne offensive was brilliant and worked much better than the Germans expected.

BTW ... generals are always fighting the previous war ... hence the cavalry attacks in WW I and in Poland in WW II.

There is a parallel biography of Patton/Rommel by a competent and unbiased historian that I can recommend:

Patton And Rommel: Men of War in the Twentieth Century by Dennis Showalter 2006.

Patton still has enemies even today, and generals like Bradley have fans that are blind to his mistakes.  Republicans vs Dems.  Even winning commanders make mistakes, MacArthur in the Philippines in 1941 was disastrous.  There were people who wanted Patton dead (he was a Republican), and MacArthur dead too (another Republican), after the war.  Both were brilliant prima-donnas, as was Montgomery.  Eisenhower found Patton insufferable, but needed him anyway.  Rommel was quiet and competent but happy for the good promotion even from a dictator.

exas billionaires fought it out in 1952 over picking Eisenhower or MacArthur for nominee.  They made the wise choice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Just watched the hunger games. Never saw it before. Better than I imagined, but not exactly what I'd call a good movie.

Didn't hold a candle to battle Royale, but I'll admit I was entertained.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 20, 2020, 04:55:35 PM
Just watched the hunger games. Never saw it before. Better than I imagined, but not exactly what I'd call a good movie.

I haven't but my daughter did, I think as is typical, she liked the initial movie most.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 20, 2020, 04:55:35 PM

I know you have heard this before--the books are better. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 20, 2020, 06:18:04 PM
I know you have heard this before--the books are better.

I read all the books, and I watched all but the last movie of the series. I was impressed with just how much child murder they were able to get away with on the big screen. ...That's a sentence I just said. Hi, FBI. I accept my place on your watch list. But the books are so much more graphic, disturbing, and weird. No spoilers, but the ending for the final book is bullshit, though. That shit pissed me off.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 21, 2020, 01:58:22 AM
I read all the books, and I watched all but the last movie of the series. I was impressed with just how much child murder they were able to get away with on the big screen. ...That's a sentence I just said. Hi, FBI. I accept my place on your watch list. But the books are so much more graphic, disturbing, and weird. No spoilers, but the ending for the final book is bullshit, though. That shit pissed me off.
I wasn't wild about the ending, either.  I felt the first book was the best.  And I finished the series because I wanted to finish it.  Over all, I enjoyed the books and would recommend them to those who like that type of subject matter.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?