News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on October 01, 2020, 12:51:14 AM
Lets head down to Blockbuster and grab a movie. Who is with me? The "Endling" store is in Bend, Oregon. Except we get to sleep over and have our run of the place..it is actually an Air BnB. Be kind. Please rewind

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2020/08/sleep-over-inside-the-worlds-only-surviving-blockbuster-store-in-bend.html
Only on the stipulation that no technology more recent than the year 2000 may be brought inside.  The authentic experience.

Blackleaf

Man. That reminds me of a trip a guild I was in in The Elder Scrolls Online tried to organize. They have family who owned a place we could stay in and everything. The plan just sort of fizzled out, despite several expressing interest.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quotehttps://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2020/08/sleep-over-inside-the-worlds-only-surviving-blockbuster-store-in-bend.html

Blockbuster!  I never went there.  But there were plenty of mom and pop video rental places where I spent hours and got to know the proprietors.  Even during a few months in the LA area, my favorite video store was a mom and pop joint, even though there must have been several Blockbusters in the area.  I would have gone of course, but I was on foot, and Mom and Pop was closer.  I rented a sleeper movie that I enjoyed from that particular mom and pop store, and got talking to the owner about any other sleeper movies he might recommend.  Without hesitation, he answered, "Bubba Ho-Tep," and before I could ask further questions, he grabbed it from a shelf, and shoved it into my hands.  If you like strange, funny, and outside the box story telling, I recommend that movie.  I own it and watch it once a year or so.  [spoiler]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Ho-Tep[/spoiler]

But I do have a certain nostalgia about Block Buster, a short lived phenomenon of the fast changing digital age.  My favorite scene in the movie Captain Marvel is where she falls from space and crashes through the roof of an abandoned Blockbuster.  I laugh every time I see it.  I'm not up for a sleep over, as much as I'm into strange and weird, but I think it's an interesting ideal.  Why not?

Baruch

I like movie-reactions by young people.  This graphic novel movie is very close to 2020, only with White people, straight people, oppressed.

V FOR VENDETTA (2005) MOVIE REACTION!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMA3CuqmQ4M
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 05, 2020, 04:21:38 AM
Enola Holmes was a lot of fun.

Yeah it was. I liked that they found a way to tell the teenager girls that their male peers were/are pressured in different ways for  similar reasons.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Devil's Advocate. I have seen it on the big screen for the first time when it came out. I have seen it more than a few times I guess. What I like about this movie is that among all 'the moral of the story' stuff this one is probably one of the shortest cuts to the point because of the poet its lines. I don't like that it's covered with sugary religious coat while it actually has nothing to do with it because very interestingly enough this movie is also designed to point out that religious side of it all is just a fantasy with good visual effects and nothing more, while it pokes in the eye that the evil is just what people choose to do. I think that's why it doesn't get old. It hits the nail on the head. Yeah it is over the top, corny, lame... but The Law. It's the only thing stands between the darkness and the civilisation on a cotton thread. It's also done with very little budget, I always like that.

[spoiler]But maybe because they focused too much on Milton and his lines although it is a rip off from Milton -I mean the real one- there is always the secretary's weird outburst that ruins it a bit for me. Why would she get back to him like that even if she didn't know the answer to his question -Is he circumcised?- while Lomax is coaching her for the trial. That wouldn't happen. She would be too scared and laugh it off the most. [/spoiler]

Also they use the word Vanity and carefully avoid the word Pride. LOL In short, it is still good. The Eddie Barzoon conversation is fucking brilliant.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Why SJW are like a naive Wonder Woman, who at the end of the first movie is no longer naive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSip1l20I0

It is the good people you have to watch out for!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Rewatching The Blair Witch Project per Halloween tradition.

Mike and Josh were lowkey hateful of Heather and it's pretty obvious very early on, further fueling my murder suspicions.  Josh is very subtle about it - pretending to be affable without showing any warmth - but Mike (the new guy) barely disguises his contempt.  Heather calls him "little Mikey" - she likely means it in an endearing way, but Mike is very prickly about it, further fueling his hostility, but Heather seems to not understand that he hates being treated like a kid.  He also hates being filmed, which is somewhat suspicious since he actually hates being scrutinized very closely.

Mike also knew in advance that Heather would get lost because he lays the groundwork to blame her should they get lost - accusing her of not knowing the way, accusing her of lying about travel times, and saying that he doesn't trust her.  That way, when they do get lost, her credibility and trustworthiness is completely shot and she has to try to save face by navigating them out, which he knows she won't be able to do.

This film is brilliant because there's such a slow and steady descent into horror that it's completely believable.  Everyone's doing normal, everyday things and the change to horror is so gradual and blurry that it's difficult to tell exactly where things took a turn.  The film completely bypasses normal suspension of disbelief because the setting is so mundane and the horror is so gradual.

SGOS

This film may be interesting, although I don't ordinarily seek out documentaries.
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/idfa-film-review-bellingcat-truth-in-a-post-truth-world-1203031551/

The interest for me is that it deals with the issue of fake news that panders to those who are drawn to conspiracy theories, lies, and confusion that haunt the internet, and occasionally even reliable sources.  I'll be looking for this one, and will definitely watch it when I find it.  It's done well at 100% from critics at Rotten Tomatoes, although it's only been reviewed by 6 critics at this point.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: NitzWalsh on February 16, 2013, 02:12:20 AM
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters
6/10
It was pretty good, but they could have swore less and cut out one 10 second nudity scene for a slightly lower rating without messing up the story at all. That would have increased the audience and they would have made more money.
Did you notice the fan boy from that movie in "Kong: Skull Island"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

It will be interesting to see if NitzWalsh responds to the above, but I'll respond that I think that 10 second nude scene was one of the most sensuous 10 seconds that ever came out of Hollywood.  All of this is personal opinion, of course, but the movie started out interesting and then got kind of meh, but those 10 seconds are still memorable 7 years later.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 17, 2020, 07:59:00 AM
This film may be interesting, although I don't ordinarily seek out documentaries.
https://variety.com/2018/film/reviews/idfa-film-review-bellingcat-truth-in-a-post-truth-world-1203031551/

The interest for me is that it deals with the issue of fake news that panders to those who are drawn to conspiracy theories, lies, and confusion that haunt the internet, and occasionally even reliable sources.  I'll be looking for this one, and will definitely watch it when I find it.  It's done well at 100% from critics at Rotten Tomatoes, although it's only been reviewed by 6 critics at this point.

The MSM has always been unreliable.  In my day (and yours) the big three TV networks put out continuous lies, except for one day in 1968, when Cronkite broke.  The Media had to immediately replaced him with a new Disney animatronic Cronkite.  In your fantasy, there are reliable news sources.  Believe your own eyes ... sometimes.  Otherwise this is only distraction entertainment, like CNN inventing 24 hour news, to satisfy Jane Fonda.  All the news that gets out on MSM or social media ... have various agendas behind them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Cronkite made military estimations that were wrong.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers