News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 31, 2020, 03:51:12 AM
The 4K restoration of 1980s Flash Gordon was released on Blu-ray this month and I bought it immediately. My husband has no idea why I love this movie and I find it difficult to explain the appeal of this campy cult classic. I told him it's not a good movie, it an entertaining movie. I love the B-movie effects, the Queen soundtrack, the fabulous/ridiculous costumes, the comic book dialogue. I do tend to like movies that are over-the-top, such as The Fifth Element, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and Moulin Rouge!

https://youtu.be/O6uOHnxf85g

I have seen it -who knows how many times- around 8 or something like that and before clicking it, I thought I forgot it all...oh my, I remember it all. LOL The pass word activates with "Flash Flash I love you, we have 14 hours to save the earth!" And where is the whipping scene?!
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Went to see that in a theater. Invited by a childhood friend of mine. (Her brother married my sister.) When we got there she said "Damn! 'Deep Throat' was playing here just yesterday." Her original mission went on as planned, however.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I love a woman determined to finish the mission.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

Watched Black Panther when it was shown commercial-free on TV this weekend.  I generally don't like superhero movies because they're too effects heavy and I leave the theater with a headache, but I quite enjoyed this.  I'm not sure it was worth a nomination for Best Picture, but a solid, enjoyable movie.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2020, 11:55:56 AM
Went to see that in a theater. Invited by a childhood friend of mine. (Her brother married my sister.) When we got there she said "Damn! 'Deep Throat' was playing here just yesterday." Her original mission went on as planned, however.
Was that Flesh Gordon???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 03, 2020, 12:33:27 PM
Was that Flesh Gordon???
Nope, "Flash Gordon". I was surprised that "Deep Throat" was allowed screen time in that obnoxious little farm town in Indiana.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on September 03, 2020, 12:23:32 PM
Watched Black Panther when it was shown commercial-free on TV this weekend.  I generally don't like superhero movies because they're too effects heavy and I leave the theater with a headache, but I quite enjoyed this.  I'm not sure it was worth a nomination for Best Picture, but a solid, enjoyable movie.
Did you notice that Siri was allowed to make racial epithets?
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on September 03, 2020, 12:21:32 PM
I love a woman determined to finish the mission.
She could suck start a Harley with the ignition off.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2020, 01:22:53 PM
Nope, "Flash Gordon". I was surprised that "Deep Throat" was allowed screen time in that obnoxious little farm town in Indiana.

My parents had to accompany me to Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2020, 01:47:47 PM
My parents had to accompany me to Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Well, buncha faggots, you know. Plus, IIRC, one female nipple.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 03, 2020, 02:06:06 PM
Well, buncha faggots, you know. Plus, IIRC, one female nipple.

I was old enough, it didn't seem shocking, just not the usual thing.  But there are far worse things, that I wouldn't watch.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I was nine when The Rocky Horror Picture Show was released. They played ads for it incessantly on the AM radio station I used to listen to on my transistor radio.

https://youtu.be/aE5ndpkqEOs

drunkenshoe

I had a funny introduction to the 'interactive' American youth tradition of the Rocky Horror Show movie in Chealse Theatre NYC, in 2014. Yeah, virgin hazing...ROFL Has any of you experienced that? I think, I wrote here about this though. Oh, Milo. I hope he is fine. I lost his contact. It was hillarious.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

A completely missed the whole Rocky Horror thing.  I had no clue until years later, when some friends had me over to see it.  Now that's one weird flick, but its saving grace was that it was so weird that cult fans turned it into an epic happening of midnight showings where followers would dress up like the characters, shout at the screen, and carry special gear required for certain scenes, and as far as I know, no one ever got hurt.  Just people having silly fun.  It may have been where the idea of Comic Con came from.  Let's just be silly.  Now I was never around one of the "happening places", but it's something I would have enjoyed.  On it's own, I thought the movie was just weird, not good, not bad, just weird.

aitm

Out of boredom I watched the original Nutty Professor with Jerry Lewis. Still funny but surely is dated.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust