News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Meanwhile, the world is a twitter with anticipation of "Godzilla vs. King Kong."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 25, 2020, 12:58:43 PM
Meanwhile, the world is a twitter with anticipation of "Godzilla vs. King Kong."

Rodan will sue for species discrimination!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 25, 2020, 12:08:17 PM
JMS is still kicking around?  The last thing I remember from him was The Lost Tales.  Heh, remember the time the Devil possessed someone and some priest has some sort of spiritual head-to-head with him?  Quality scifi right there.  :P

But yeah, none of the indicators for this Foundation movie are particularly good so far.  I don't understand why it couldn't get the Dune treatment - big budget, quality actors, deep respect for the source material.  Not some lowballed, hastily put together shitshow.  I don't understand why Hollywood still hasn't figured out that if you take the money and time to make a high quality product, you will make a killing in the box office.  It's not rocket science.
Not familiar with Lost Tales offhand -- I haven't had cable since 2005.  JMS is of course responsible for Babylon 5, which is unquestionably quality SF.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

GSOgymrat

I definitely recommend JMS's memoir, Becoming Superman: My Journey From Poverty to Hollywood. It would make a good movie.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on June 25, 2020, 03:31:12 PM
Rodan will sue for species discrimination!
Gojira  had two movies out before Rodan came along.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 25, 2020, 04:05:35 PM
Not familiar with Lost Tales offhand -- I haven't had cable since 2005.  JMS is of course responsible for Babylon 5, which is unquestionably quality SF.

Not had cable TV, or not bothered with it since 2005.  Even cable TV or Netflix kinds of pay-per-view is a dead medium for me.  Internet (not streaming media) is all I have needed for 15 years.  People who still are on TV of any kind, are like seniors keeping their rotary phones ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on June 25, 2020, 04:05:35 PMNot familiar with Lost Tales offhand -- I haven't had cable since 2005.  JMS is of course responsible for Babylon 5, which is unquestionably quality SF.
Oh, I know.  Babylon 5 is one of my favorites.  I was just poking fun at the poor quality towards the end.  The Lost Tales were supposed to be an exciting short story compilation to Babylon 5, but a poor budget and what I assume was some sort of insanity-inducing gas pumped directly into the writers' room killed all chances that there would be any more stories in the B5 universe.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 25, 2020, 07:09:46 PM
Oh, I know.  Babylon 5 is one of my favorites.  I was just poking fun at the poor quality towards the end.  The Lost Tales were supposed to be an exciting short story compilation to Babylon 5, but a poor budget and what I assume was some sort of insanity-inducing gas pumped directly into the writers' room killed all chances that there would be any more stories in the B5 universe.
Not sure what happened to Lost Tales; I know Crusade got screwed by the network because they kept playing them out of order even though it's a consistent story arc that needed to buildup over time.  And of course not finding out until the last possible second that B5 was getting a 5th season, after he'd already wrapped up almost everything in the fourth because he didn't think he was getting the full five.  Science fiction has historically been the red-headed step child of movies and TV.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Midsommar festival turned into a horror movie must hit Swedes like Pig Pickin' turned into a slasher movie for Southerners.

Hydra009

I just watched Midsommer and that movie shocked and disturbed me to my core.  I can't say I'm too surprised by any of how it turned out, it was horror after all.  And if you've ever watched the early seasons of Vikings, you kinda already have the gist of it, just 1000% more horrifying.

On that note, I think I may have to call it quits on horror movies for a long, long while.  While I like a good spooky tale and fright every now and then, I don't have the stomach to enjoy what other people enjoy (which is fine).

I'm more into Blair Witch or The Shining or the Ninth Gate or 28 Days Later or Demon Knight or Army of Darkness, if that counts.  I'm not into Human Centipede or Saw or Hannibal or Us.  I'm into movies where there's danger and people buy the farm on occasion, but it's not usually graphic or deeply disturbing.  I'm just looking for a little thrill, I'm not looking to be psychologically scarred.

I don't ever want to be that terrified again.  I...I got scared straight.  Oh, my God, I got scared straight.

Shiranu

Yeah, Midsommer was a mind fuck. I watched that on magic mushies and I wasn't really ready for that, but it was at a party and I couldn't turn away. Some of it hit a little too close to home, particularly near the beginning.

Just finished watching Knives Out, really REALLY enjoyed it. It's a nice, fun "whodunit?" film that is aware of what it is, pokes fun of what it is, and yet does it amazingly well at the same time. And Daniel Craig speakin' with a Kentucky accent is life. It's got a pretty uplifting story as well (particularly for a murder mystery), so that's pretty cool.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2020, 01:57:21 AM
I just watched Midsommer and that movie shocked and disturbed me to my core.
Horror is not my favorite genre, but Midsommer gets extra points for it's uniqueness.  It does what most horror does not.  It penetrates the subconscious recesses of the human mind where normal humans don't want to go, and it has the capacity to fuck viewers up hours after they leave the theater, and for a couple of days after that.  Your description "disturbing to the core" could not be more accurate.  I think it does this by using people instead of monsters.   I can think of a bare handful of movies that have affected me at that level.  A year ago, I recommended it here.  I think I may have added a guarded caution that could have easily been interpreted as your typical "R" rated film, but the American Movie Association doesn't really have a letter grade capable of warning viewers what they are in for when they watch it.  And watching it on mind altering drugs (Shiranu), makes as much sense to me as playing Russian Roulette with a 44 Magnum.

For some reason, Swedes know how do do horror.  I don't know why.  Maybe they don't get enough sunlight, and then when it comes all at once in the summer, they don't know what to do with it.  The lead actress was perfect for the part.  I don't think I've seen her in anything else, but she does "innocent and vulnerable" in a way that doesn't even seem like she is acting.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2020, 01:57:21 AM
I just watched Midsommer and that movie shocked and disturbed me to my core.  I can't say I'm too surprised by any of how it turned out, it was horror after all.  And if you've ever watched the early seasons of Vikings, you kinda already have the gist of it, just 1000% more horrifying.

On that note, I think I may have to call it quits on horror movies for a long, long while.  While I like a good spooky tale and fright every now and then, I don't have the stomach to enjoy what other people enjoy (which is fine).

I'm more into Blair Witch or The Shining or the Ninth Gate or 28 Days Later or Demon Knight or Army of Darkness, if that counts.  I'm not into Human Centipede or Saw or Hannibal or Us.  I'm into movies where there's danger and people buy the farm on occasion, but it's not usually graphic or deeply disturbing.  I'm just looking for a little thrill, I'm not looking to be psychologically scarred.

I don't ever want to be that terrified again.  I...I got scared straight.  Oh, my God, I got scared straight.
You have a stronger constitution than I.  I got scared straight off horror  with a sci-fi film.  :)))  I watched the 53 version of War of the Worlds in a theater by myself and then had to go home to my grandparents house out in the country, and sleep upstairs by myself.  Yeah, it scared me.  So, I was never fond of horror thereafter.  Every now and again I see one--It was my last.  And I always ask myself--What were you thinking??!!  Stephen King sort of forced me to start some of his horror novels like Cujo, It, Pet Sematary and the like.  I love King's writing and character development, but I could not finish Cujo or Pet Sematary (got thu It somehow), and now I don't even start those types of his books.  I stick with Delores Claiborne,The Stand, The Cell--those types of his books.  You lasted much longer in horror than I. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 04:55:41 AM
Yeah, Midsommer was a mind fuck. I watched that on magic mushies and I wasn't really ready for that, but it was at a party and I couldn't turn away. Some of it hit a little too close to home, particularly near the beginning.

Just finished watching Knives Out, really REALLY enjoyed it. It's a nice, fun "whodunit?" film that is aware of what it is, pokes fun of what it is, and yet does it amazingly well at the same time. And Daniel Craig speakin' with a Kentucky accent is life. It's got a pretty uplifting story as well (particularly for a murder mystery), so that's pretty cool.

Magic shrooms?  Didn't you strip naked and go all Berzerker?  Did you turn into Henrik Ibsen?  Father of dramatic Feminism?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.