News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2020, 12:47:24 PM
I sorta remember asking about the books, not the movie. Of course you were there so I could be wrong.

There are 20 books.  Please read, and return with your own book report ;-)

Or one could just fan-fiction what you want to happen next in the non-canon movie version.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2020, 01:49:32 PM
There are 20 books.  Please read, and return with your own book report ;-)

Or one could just fan-fiction what you want to happen next in the non-canon movie version.
I was kinda hoping you wouldn't be the one to respond.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Aubrey did send reinforcements and a competent officer to make sure there could be no mutiny aboard the badly disabled ship when he realized the French captain was still alive.  He seemed confident, like this was just an added precaution, but not worried enough to turn and accompany the ship.  I always feel a bit uneasy at that point in the movie, but assume that things will be fine, although never quite sure.  I do see how this is a bit of a cliff hanger, however.  It sure leaves the door open for a sequel.

The acting and screen play at the beginning when they were searching the fog for an enemy ship was especially well done.  There was a lot of subtle tension created over a young lesser officer because of what he might or might not have seen and the captain who was looking for more certainty.  I thought the young officer might get chided, but finally Aubrey says, "Well you did the right thing, Lad, calling the ship to arms."  I actually felt like a burden had been lifted from my shoulders.  And I was engrossed like that for the rest of the film.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 25, 2020, 06:22:54 PM
I was kinda hoping you wouldn't be the one to respond.

I really enjoyed the British miniseries 1998-2003 Hornblower (TV series).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 25, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
I really enjoyed the British miniseries 1998-2003 Hornblower (TV series).
I have that on DVD.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Hornblower was the shit. So good.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 26, 2020, 10:57:33 AM
Hornblower was the shit. So good.

The British TV miniseries was so ... true to history.  The acting was OK too.

How about the original Hornblower movie from 1951 with Gregory Peck?  A prequel to Moby Dick in 1956?  Avast ye matys!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on May 26, 2020, 11:20:28 AM
The British TV miniseries was so ... true to history.  The acting was OK too.

How about the original Hornblower movie from 1951 with Gregory Peck?  A prequel to Moby Dick in 1956?  Avast ye matys!
Other than jamming two (?) books into one movie, not bad for the time.
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Battleship - 5/10

Cheesy film based on the Hasbro game of the same name. Slightly entertaining, yet predictable and bland.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 27, 2020, 05:00:34 PM
Battleship - 5/10

Cheesy film based on the Hasbro game of the same name. Slightly entertaining, yet predictable and bland.

Anything Navy.  Were you rooting for the aliens?  Did you see Midway?

Kaiju would eat those aliens for breakfast!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

I haven't seen Midway.

There could've been a lot engaging exposé in the Battleship movie, like why are the aliens here, what is their purpose, etc.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 27, 2020, 05:50:49 PM
I haven't seen Midway.

There could've been a lot engaging exposé in the Battleship movie, like why are the aliens here, what is their purpose, etc.
It was a silly billy movie made for no good reason.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Please tell me that someone at least said "You sunk my battleship!" in that movie.  Otherwise, what's the point?

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 27, 2020, 08:33:26 PM
Please tell me that someone at least said "You sunk my battleship!" in that movie.  Otherwise, what's the point?
I think I remember that line.  Like you, I was looking for it.  It was a weird game to make a movie out of, but there was about a two or three year period where there must have been 10 or15 games that made it too the big screen, but most of them were video games.  I was suckered into going to see most of them.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 27, 2020, 09:09:15 PM
I think I remember that line.  Like you, I was looking for it.  It was a weird game to make a movie out of, but there was about a two or three year period where there must have been 10 or15 games that made it too the big screen, but most of them were video games.  I was suckered into going to see most of them.
Imo, Mortal Kombat is the only one that has any business being a live-action movie (which makes sense considering the original game used motion capture and had a rather striking similarity to Enter the Dragon), though I admit that Resident Evil, Pokemon, and Sonic are feasible as well.  Pretty much all of the rest are DOA as far as I'm concerned.