News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

For some odd personal reason, I always consider the Cinematic Universe series starting with Iron Man.  Marvel put out some good stuff before that, things I didn't even realize were Marvel, but Iron man struck a new cord inside me, and that's when I started paying attention.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 31, 2020, 08:54:08 AM
For some odd personal reason, I always consider the Cinematic Universe series starting with Iron Man.  Marvel put out some good stuff before that, things I didn't even realize were Marvel, but Iron man struck a new cord inside me, and that's when I started paying attention.
The previous movies were rather lame. RDJ rang all the bells. He WAS the billionaire genius philanthropist playboy. (Black Widow concurs.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on March 31, 2020, 08:54:08 AM

Pre-Iron Man, comic book movies were almost exclusively absolute flops. You had a few exceptions (MacQuire's Spiderman, Nolan's Batman Begins, the X-Men movies, Blade), but the overwhelming majority were just... bad movies, forgetfully bad movies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

I never noticed Blade was a Marvel.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 01, 2020, 05:58:43 AM
I never noticed Blade was a Marvel.

In all honesty, I didn't either until fairly recently... and I really struggle to call his films "comic book movies", because even though they are based on a comic book character, the films are much more traditional action movie than what we would call a comic book movie today.

If the overwhelming majority of people never knew he was a comic book character, which seems to be the case from everyone I have talked to, I don't think it really counts.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on April 01, 2020, 06:05:31 AM
In all honesty, I didn't either until fairly recently... and I really struggle to call his films "comic book movies", because even though they are based on a comic book character, the films are much more traditional action movie than what we would call a comic book movie today.

If the overwhelming majority of people never knew he was a comic book character, which seems to be the case from everyone I have talked to, I don't think it really counts.

If you have to disavow the origin then you have acknowledged the problem.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Elektra is an old Marvel film that I had in my collection for years.  I recently dug it out, and was surprised.  It's a good story with a fun plot, but something about the ending has an anticlimactic feel that takes away from the overall film.  For some reason, I think if it were released today, it would have received more attention.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 01, 2020, 01:08:05 AM
Pre-Iron Man, comic book movies were almost exclusively absolute flops. You had a few exceptions (MacQuire's Spiderman, Nolan's Batman Begins, the X-Men movies, Blade), but the overwhelming majority were just... bad movies, forgetfully bad movies.
It could be argued that studios didn't often invest very much money or creativity into them, thus ensuring their failure - and then blaming the victim for their own inability to produce comic book movies competently.

That and CGI has really improved over the years.

*edited to add - let's say that Marvel movies had never taken off and it was just DC in the mix and those movies were just as hit and miss and miss as they are today.  People would say that superhero movies are box office kryptonite, and no one should even think of adapting a character who isn't Superman or Batman.  Those people would be dead wrong, but it would sound a lot like the truth.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 01, 2020, 08:01:55 AM
It could be argued that studios didn't often invest very much money or creativity into them, thus ensuring their failure - and then blaming the victim for their own inability to produce comic book movies competently.

That and CGI has really improved over the years.

*edited to add - let's say that Marvel movies had never taken off and it was just DC in the mix and those movies were just as hit and miss and miss as they are today.  People would say that superhero movies are box office kryptonite, and no one should even think of adapting a character who isn't Superman or Batman.  Those people would be dead wrong, but it would sound a lot like the truth.

DC comics problem is they never really expanded their other franchises out that greatly from their most popular ones. Batman and superman and the main members of the justice League are their most popular (wonder woman,  green lantern, Aquaman, flash, green arrow). But outside of these main characters despite having a large consortium of characters they really only put their best eggs in one basket.
Marvels different since it has more of a variety of popular franchises, avengers, Spiderman, X-Men, fantastic 4, that have their own established lore and can function as their own entity or work when put together. X-Men was marvels most popular film franchise series for years before the avengers line up became popular, and Spiderman already had his own popular film trilogy.

DC could expand out with a lot more independent franchises given what they have, they just seem to only focus on the most popular ones.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 01, 2020, 07:47:17 AM
Elektra is an old Marvel film that I had in my collection for years.  I recently dug it out, and was surprised.  It's a good story with a fun plot, but something about the ending has an anticlimactic feel that takes away from the overall film.  For some reason, I think if it were released today, it would have received more attention.

Elektra was a spinoff of Daredevil.  I did see Daredevil and liked it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on April 01, 2020, 01:05:21 PM
Elektra was a spinoff of Daredevil.  I did see Daredevil and liked it.

I liked michael clark duncan (rest in peace) as kingpin. He had the perfect build for the role and a good actor for it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 01, 2020, 06:50:34 AM
If you have to disavow the origin then you have acknowledged the problem.

Huh?

"Tropic Thunder" is a Vietnam film but filmed as a comedy. That doesn't mean there is a problem with "Apocalypse Now" or the classical war films, it just means that two directors can see two source materials and direct them in two different ways.

"Blade" is a comic book film but filmed like a 90's action flick. That doesn't mean there is a problem with "Iron Man" or what has become traditional comic book movies, it just means that two directors can see two source materials and direct them in two different ways.

Even within the modern comic book movie style, you have styles as varied as Iron Man, which leans more towards traditional action and humour, Guardians of the Galaxy which is more towards silly humour, Winter Soldier which incorporates spy-thriller elements, Black Panther with it's socio-political message, Joker being more like blade in that it's almost entirely devoid of comic book elements while still being based on an iconic comic book character, etc.

There might have been a problem with comic book movies in the 90s, but that's because directors didn't know how to make a good comic book movie. But that's like saying cars today have problems because back in the 30s they had like 5 horse power and could drive 2 miles before breaking down.

Gawdzilla Sama

And we wind back to the beginning. Oh well.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on April 01, 2020, 07:47:17 AM

Oh yeah, forgot about Elektra. Daredevil as well isn't horrible.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on April 01, 2020, 08:26:31 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about Elektra. Daredevil as well isn't horrible.

Daredevil was the best handicapped hero since Ironsides (starring Raymond Burr).  And Monk (starring Tony Shalhoub) ... is you count his autism as a handicap.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.