Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 22, 2020, 10:28:39 AM
Is that you, Goblin? ;-)
Not the Green Goblin. The Spiderman villains were on the low end of the comic book spectrum.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

A review to a movie I haven't seen, but it makes sense from what I know.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on March 22, 2020, 07:46:05 AM
I saw solo with my buddy from Sweden when he visited. I wasnt really invested that much, however I'm not a massive star wars fan so I didnt have high expectations.

I didn't have high expectations either, hearing the movie get thrashed rather than praised.
Perhaps that helped me get a better impression. It's not a stellar movie by any account. But it's not bad.

I actually think that if this movie hadn't been part of star wars, it might be received better. You know, if the characters had different names. If chewie wasn't a wookie, if there wasn't a flash of a former sith in there, and if the millenium falcon had been any other ship, ... Or just simply if Star Wars didn't exist prior, I think people might've gone 'hmm, okay cool'. Not something groundbreaking or whatever... But I don't see where the fault lies with the movie itself as a story on its own.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 23, 2020, 03:31:53 AM
I didn't have high expectations either, hearing the movie get thrashed rather than praised.
Perhaps that helped me get a better impression. It's not a stellar movie by any account. But it's not bad.

I actually think that if this movie hadn't been part of star wars, it might be received better. You know, if the characters had different names. If chewie wasn't a wookie, if there wasn't a flash of a former sith in there, and if the millenium falcon had been any other ship, ... Or just simply if Star Wars didn't exist prior, I think people might've gone 'hmm, okay cool'. Not something groundbreaking or whatever... But I don't see where the fault lies with the movie itself as a story on its own.

Typecasting.  Hence the book by Leonard Nimoy .. "I Am Not Spock".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on March 23, 2020, 07:36:35 AM
Typecasting.  Hence the book by Leonard Nimoy .. "I Am Not Spock".
And he never did anything else of note. He was Spock, permanently.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2020, 07:40:06 AM
Ahem.  Civilization IV voice-overs.  The voice of Galvatron in the Transformers movie.  William Bell in Fringe.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2020, 07:40:06 AM

He was a Jewish patriarch outside of acting life.  Be nice, or I will post Nimoy singing "Bilbo Baggins" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 23, 2020, 08:14:28 AM
Ahem.  Civilization IV voice-overs.  The voice of Galvatron in the Transformers movie.  William Bell in Fringe.
Exactly.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 22, 2020, 03:48:46 AM
You all might look at me funny for this, but I just watched solo, and I liked it.
Wouldn't have wanted to pay a cinematicket for it. But I really did like it.

I found it extremely forgettable. That's all I can think to say about it. Just...bleh.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Rewatching the entire Marvel Saga in in-universe chronological order, just finished the first Iron Man... fuck, I forgot just how good this film was but more importantly I forgot just how much character growth Tony Stark went through over the 10-11 years of films.

Anyone who thinks these aren't "real cinema" or that they are just "comic movies" is, frankly, incapable of judging films and can be ignored (looking at your, Scorsese... you might be able to direct a film but that apparently doesn't mean you know how to enjoy them).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on March 30, 2020, 04:41:00 PM
Rewatching the entire Marvel Saga in in-universe chronological order, just finished the first Iron Man... 
Chronological order as in:  The order in which the movies were released  OR  in order of the time periods they represent?

I've seen them listed both ways.  If you watched Iron Man first, it's the order in which the movies were released, I think.  I've been thinking about going through them again, and I've wondered which way would be best.  I missed the Hulk, which may have been released before Iron man.  I went and bought a used copy, just to complete that part of the universe.  Not sure if Hulk came before or after Iron man.  I may have just skipped it, because I remembered a couple of previous Hulk moves that left me flat.

Shiranu

QuoteChronological order as in:  The order in which the movies were released  OR  in order of the time periods they represent?

In-universe chronology, so starting with Cap., then Cap. Marvel, then Iron Man, etc. .

I really wanted to watch the T.V. series inbetween, but that's just too much of a commitment lol. And yeah, the Hulk movie is suppose to be... bleh... as well as a different actor playing Banner.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 30, 2020, 07:49:03 PM
Chronological order as in:  The order in which the movies were released  OR  in order of the time periods they represent?

I've seen them listed both ways.  If you watched Iron Man first, it's the order in which the movies were released, I think.  I've been thinking about going through them again, and I've wondered which way would be best.  I missed the Hulk, which may have been released before Iron man.  I went and bought a used copy, just to complete that part of the universe.  Not sure if Hulk came before or after Iron man.  I may have just skipped it, because I remembered a couple of previous Hulk moves that left me flat.
The Bana Hulk movie came out in 2003. Ironman in 2008.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on March 31, 2020, 03:46:06 AM
In-universe chronology, so starting with Cap., then Cap. Marvel, then Iron Man, etc. .

I really wanted to watch the T.V. series inbetween, but that's just too much of a commitment lol. And yeah, the Hulk movie is suppose to be... bleh... as well as a different actor playing Banner.
"Spiderman" came out in 2002.
PZ Myers