Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Oh, look. Another person complaining about a movie that isn't out yet (and doesn't even have a trailer) because it has a woman in it, and no movie ever stars a woman unless it's trying to shove feminism and diversity down our throats. Just like no movie stars a black person unless it's trying to forcibly remind us that black people exist, or any media portray gay/lesbian/trans people without having the secret, sneaky mission to shove an evil SWJ message in front of everyone's eyeballs. If only we could go back to the good old days, where straight white men (usually with blue eyes) were the stars of basically every movie, TV show, comic book, etc, and we didn't have to be constantly reminded that they weren't the only people who mattered.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 16, 2020, 01:13:21 PM
Oh, look. Another person complaining about a movie that isn't out yet (and doesn't even have a trailer) because it has a woman in it, and no movie ever stars a woman unless it's trying to shove feminism and diversity down our throats. Just like no movie stars a black person unless it's trying to forcibly remind us that black people exist, or any media portray gay/lesbian/trans people without having the secret, sneaky mission to shove an evil SWJ message in front of everyone's eyeballs. If only we could go back to the good old days, where straight white men (usually with blue eyes) were the stars of basically every movie, TV show, comic book, etc, and we didn't have to be constantly reminded that they weren't the only people who mattered.

Well, I could say your assuming right off that a woman is bound to work for the role based on your own agenda. I actually looked into the comics this movies going to be based on, and yes, they were intentionally pushing an agenda with female Thor, which is what made the sales of that comic tank.

But it isn't enough that another medium like a comic book failed, apparently no one's allowed to assume a production of something that was bad Willbe just as bad when made into a film, especially when it's based on said previous medium.

And don't pander the diversity bullshit of 'oh you hate it because a woman's in it!", Fuck off. Movies like wonder woman, alien/aliens, terminator 1 & 2, dragon tattoo, some of the best movies out their with strong female leads, and yet someone can't for a second criticise a production before release before it has a woman in it? Does it have it's woke shield up?

Female Thor, and a lot of shit coming out of marvel comics today is woke, pandering garbage. Rather then writing good stories and well rounded characters, the only thing that matters to marvel writers today is appealing to the woke generation. And comic sales are still failing today due to issues like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdr3TuE78A

Instead of making the broad assumption of pulling the gender/race card, maybe actually look into why these kind of things matters to fans of these mediums

Baruch

Extreme right need their own island.  Extreme left do too, but a different island.  Then they both should leave normal people alone, in movies, TV etc.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2020, 05:53:23 PM
Well, I could say your assuming right off that a woman is bound to work for the role based on your own agenda. I actually looked into the comics this movies going to be based on, and yes, they were intentionally pushing an agenda with female Thor, which is what made the sales of that comic tank.

But it isn't enough that another medium like a comic book failed, apparently no one's allowed to assume a production of something that was bad Willbe just as bad when made into a film, especially when it's based on said previous medium.

I haven't read the comic book fem Thor is based on. But even if I assume you're right, and those comics are hot garbage, that does not mean the movies will be garbage. One thing I've seen you complain about is how much of Thor was changed for the movies. The MCU in general, while following the comics as a guideline, has always done things its own way, and it's worked out very well. For instance, Thanos wasn't trying to impress the literal personification of death so he could make her his girlfriend like in the comics, and...I'm glad they didn't stay too close to the comics in that case.

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2020, 05:53:23 PMAnd don't pander the diversity bullshit of 'oh you hate it because a woman's in it!", Fuck off. Movies like wonder woman, alien/aliens, terminator 1 & 2, dragon tattoo, some of the best movies out their with strong female leads, and yet someone can't for a second criticise a production before release before it has a woman in it? Does it have it's woke shield up?

Terminator 2 starred male characters, with Sarah as a supporting character, and she was basically the damsel in distress in Terminator 1. Wonder Woman, if you recall, also had a lot of easily offended meninists whining. Hell, Captain Marvel still has them whining, and it was fine. Not the best movie in the MCU, but far from the worst, and definitely not pushing some feminist agenda.

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2020, 05:53:23 PMFemale Thor, and a lot of shit coming out of marvel comics today is woke, pandering garbage. Rather then writing good stories and well rounded characters, the only thing that matters to marvel writers today is appealing to the woke generation. And comic sales are still failing today due to issues like this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vbdr3TuE78A

Instead of making the broad assumption of pulling the gender/race card, maybe actually look into why these kind of things matters to fans of these mediums

How about we wait and see if the movie is actually any good before we assume anything? I mean, Jesus Christ. We just had a Sonic the Hedgehog movie come out, using the same basic premise as the Smurf movie, and it wasn't the total disaster everyone (including me) was expecting it to be. If a movie starring an animated character being pulled out of his original dimension and interacting with normal humans in live action can be good, anything can be good.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 17, 2020, 01:13:19 AMFor instance, Thanos wasn't trying to impress the literal personification of death so he could make her his girlfriend like in the comics, and...I'm glad they didn't stay too close to the comics in that case.
I actually really liked Thanos' comic motivation.

His consequentialist case for mass murder has some pretty glaring logical errors (culling to halt resource exhaustion is like scooping water out of a sinking ship - it doesn't change the fact that it's sinking, it just prolongs its sinking) - too glaring for someone as seemingly intelligent as Thanos - and casts consequentialism in general in a horrible light.  You'd think a philosophy where considering the ramification of one's actions is paramount would hardly be suitable for cold-blooded murder.

His comics motivation at least makes sense - his insatiable appetite for power and his all-consuming need to destroy doesn't really make sense unless he's either completely insane or a devotee of Death.  And that role gives him a more antiheroic side - it allows him to work alongside our heroes to save our universe from major threats on the grounds that those threats would threaten Death as well (threats like the Cancerverse)

Hydra009

And while I'm at it, I disliked how the Infinity Gems were used in the movies.

These gems aren't just powerups - they're the pillars on which our universe was built.

With them, you can literally do anything you can possibly conceive.  You could change reality in a fundamental way.  You could create a new person - mind, body, and soul - from scratch.  You could raise up a non-sentient species (or inanimate objects) to full sentience.  You could warp the linear flow of time similar to a dragonbreak.  You could warp space itself to create an impossibly short bridge between distant worlds.  You could create galaxies from scratch.  You could bring back the dead.  You could show everyone their future.  You could make everyone experience their entire future and past all at once.  You could mold this universe's timeline to any eventuality you desire.

Using such exquisite tools for something as banal and unimaginative as murder is so disgraceful and such a waste of potential that there aren't even words that could properly describe it.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 17, 2020, 03:04:02 AM
I actually really liked Thanos' comic motivation.

His consequentialist case for mass murder has some pretty glaring logical errors (culling to halt resource exhaustion is like scooping water out of a sinking ship - it doesn't change the fact that it's sinking, it just prolongs its sinking) - too glaring for someone as seemingly intelligent as Thanos - and casts consequentialism in general in a horrible light.  You'd think a philosophy where considering the ramification of one's actions is paramount would hardly be suitable for cold-blooded murder.

His comics motivation at least makes sense - his insatiable appetite for power and his all-consuming need to destroy doesn't really make sense unless he's either completely insane or an devotee of Death.  And that role gives him a more antiheroic side - it allows him to work alongside our heroes to save our universe for major threats on the grounds that those threats would threaten Death as well (threats like the Cancerverse)

Know about the whale ship Essex?  The real Moby Dick?  So men in a long boat in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  They literally draw straws, for killing one of them, so he can be eaten raw.  Thanos should have eaten half the universe.  Cthulhu.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

And just seventy years later the populations would have returned to pre-snap levels.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

You all might look at me funny for this, but I just watched solo, and I liked it.
Wouldn't have wanted to pay a cinematicket for it. But I really did like it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 22, 2020, 03:48:46 AM
You all might look at me funny for this, but I just watched solo, and I liked it.
Wouldn't have wanted to pay a cinematicket for it. But I really did like it.
I'm generally accepting of comic book movies, I don't expect a silk purse.
But I can't sit through "Solo". Just annoys me for some reason. The same thing happens with Spiderman.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

I saw solo with my buddy from Sweden when he visited. I wasnt really invested that much, however I'm not a massive star wars fan so I didnt have high expectations.

SGOS

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society 10/10

Not yet available on disk for Region 1 (USA and Canada) and has not been since its release over a year ago.  I had to order it from the UK, with delivery by Royal Mail, which is as fast or faster than Amazon's penalized non Prime customers.  One of my players allows me to switch regions 5 times, and I used one of those up.  I'm not sure why this hasn't made it to North America.  It's as good as any of that genre we produce over here.  I'd call it a combination of Romance and WWII Historical Fiction.  I learned something about the Nazi occupation of the Island of Guernsey, which I assume actually happened.  The book has always been available in the US and many people have read it, which is how I heard about it.  I understand it was also on Netflix Streaming.

aitm

Watched that new Netflix show,with Marky mark...don’t remember the name of it. Ugh.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2020, 04:43:18 AM
I'm generally accepting of comic book movies, I don't expect a silk purse.
But I can't sit through "Solo". Just annoys me for some reason. The same thing happens with Spiderman.

Is that you, Goblin? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.