News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 25, 2020, 06:00:55 PM
President Trump didn't like the movie. Of course, he didn't watch it because it involves either speaking Korean or, you know, reading. He prefers movies like Gone With The Wind where the classes are distinct and color-coded.

https://youtu.be/ljkmb59UNwM

Says you.  He probably enjoyed Gangs Of New York ... he isn't from Birmingham Alabama.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0olElkmog-w

Pretty good sum up of Harley quinn as a character, and all the different incarnations. I've liked the character, as she was in the original batman the animated series, and really I just take most interpretations of her from that, being the manipulated and abused hence woman who grows as a character into her own, which surprisingly hasn't really happened until most recent.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

They don't make gun mols and dames like they used to, eh Al?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gregory

I can't remember the last movie I saw.  It's all kids' stuff nowadays.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 01:32:49 AM
"1917" is NOT for kids.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Munch

Quote from: Gregory on February 28, 2020, 01:32:49 AM

Strange statement. Yeah there are movies for kids, but there's plenty of movies not made for kids.
Also I find is kind of annoying when adults can't bring themselves to enjoy a well made movie that both adults and children can enjoy. I've watched the Harry potter franchise with both my mum and my nephew's

aitm

The original True Grit. Meh, John Wayne was never that good of an actor.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 28, 2020, 06:16:10 AM
It is if you're a child soldier.

Yep, E African child soldiers with AK-47 not a joke.

Most soldiers are 18-24 .. little better than kids.  They call it "infantry" for a reason.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

LoriPinkAngel

Quote from: Munch on February 28, 2020, 06:25:50 AM
Strange statement. Yeah there are movies for kids, but there's plenty of movies not made for kids.
Also I find is kind of annoying when adults can't bring themselves to enjoy a well made movie that both adults and children can enjoy. I've watched the Harry potter franchise with both my mum and my nephew's

My son and I read and watched the Harry Potter series as they came out and now he's 20 and we still re-watch them occasionally when we catch them on TV.  They are very enjoyable films.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 28, 2020, 06:25:50 AM
Yeah.  Rated G means General Audiences (suitable for practically everyone), so it's not like there's a maximum age for Disney films or anything.  No one graduates from G, you can just watch a lot of other stuff plus (or minus) G.

This mentality that G is only for kids is the equivalent of saying that apple juice is only for kids.

Munch

Watched Superman Red Son.

I never read the graphic novel so only had a rough idea of the story concept, and was told this one edited the story slightly to make it more appealing for a television audience.

[spoiler]Basically it shows what would happen if instead of landing in a farm in smallville america, what if superman landed in russia in the 1940s and onward, how he became a living symbol of the communist regime under Joseph Stalin. It shows how he was manipulated into believing the communist regime was the greatest asset to humanity and that the american capitalist regime under president Luthor was a threat to people. And then superman discovers the gulags, and sees the real horrors of Stalins outlook, ending up killing him.

The twist goes that years later, after a conflict between the ideals luthor represents and supermans communist beliefs, it goes years later of supermans ideal world and what he called a utopia, despite the fact he's using mind control technology on convicts and criminals to make them into slaves of the state.

It pretty much brings into question a lot of social and political views, the differences between communism and capitalism, how the ideals like those of karl marx can be both productive and corrupt. I dunno how different the books ending was but this one seemed to paint every concept russia has to its political and social structure as bad even when in the hands of someone as pure as superman. [/spoiler]

SvZurich

Munch, check inbox.  Let me know if the spoiler for Red Son made it to you.  I don't see my message to you in my Sent Items.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.