News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

QuoteI'm from a generation that cut it's teeth on the original stop motion Godzilla being attacked by model airplanes sliding down sometimes visible wires.

Which movie was that?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 20, 2020, 12:32:04 PM
Which movie was that?
Probably this one.  Planes briefly show up at the end of the trailer, but the only appear for a second, and Godzilla may have been a hand puppet.  I may have smudged a bunch of these primitive Sci Fi films of the 1950s together in my memory, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrj1ymJzmo

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on February 20, 2020, 02:28:03 PM
Probably this one.  Planes briefly show up at the end of the trailer, but the only appear for a second, and Godzilla may have been a hand puppet.  I may have smudged a bunch of these primitive Sci Fi films of the 1950s together in my memory, however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrj1ymJzmo
They considered using stop action for the first Gojira movie, but it was going to take too much production time, so they went with the infamous rubber suit instead. There were some wire-guided JSDAF models, I think. I'd have to dig out my copy. If you haven't seen "Gojira" (not, not, not the 1956 US release "Godzilla: King of Monsters" shown in your trailer) you be surprised at the differences. Or horrified.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Loved that first movie with Raymond Burr as the incredulous American reporter.  I was horrified that Gojira had such bad manners, Japanese style.  You don't stomp buildings and burn people with radioactive halitosis!  Never even said "sumimasen".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0tAKVFWR4

I realized, why I forgot until just today I dunno, but 2019 caused me to do something on several occasions. After the release of terminator dark fate, out of revulsion to the story it was telling, I decided to buy terminator 1 and 2 and watch them instead of spending money on dark fate.
I did the same thing with lion king, brought the original on Blu-ray instead  of wasting money on its hideous remake.
And did it again with the original X-Men movies 1 and 2 instead of seeing dark phoenix.

I'm wondering if there's some unspoken phenomenon going on here, release bad remakes or sequels to popular movies, to motivate people into buying the originals.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 23, 2020, 03:02:43 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2m0tAKVFWR4

I realized, why I forgot until just today I dunno, but 2019 caused me to do something on several occasions. After the release of terminator dark fate, out of revulsion to the story it was telling, I decided to buy terminator 1 and 2 and watch them instead of spending money on dark fate.
I did the same thing with lion king, brought the original on Blu-ray instead  of wasting money on its hideous remake.
And did it again with the original X-Men movies 1 and 2 instead of seeing dark phoenix.

I'm wondering if there's some unspoken phenomenon going on here, release bad remakes or sequels to popular movies, to motivate people into buying the originals.

That does seem to be the fad in recent years. Even the "original" movies are often soft reboots, like with The Force Awakens. I guess the powers that be realized it was safer to invest in nostalgic properties than to do something new. And they're right. People are more likely to go to the movies for something that feels familiar, so why put the effort in for something original? But even if you are going to use nostalgic property, that doesn't mean you can't still put effort into creative writing or art direction. Detective Pikachu and Sonic were praised because they didn't phone it in. They used their source material as a starting point, not a final draft, unlike these millions of Disney remakes...
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Schoenberg vs Beethoven.  Schoenberg is more original, but people prefer Beethoven.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I saw the Sonic movie today, and oooooh man. I'm so glad it didn't turn out to be the complete dumpster fire I was expecting ever since I heard the words "Sonic" and "live-action" in the same sentence... Spoiler free version:

Pros: While I feel like Jim Carrey's role in the movie is a bit overhyped, he was entertaining to watch. The movie makes a ton of changes to the lore of Sonic, but honestly, they were good changes. Sticking strictly to the source material would not have likely lead to anything compelling. Sonic is a platformer, not an RPG. Except for that one time he was an RPG, but we don't talk about that. Sonic was surprisingly charming. Even when he was being annoying for a laugh, they didn't go so far that he actually started to get on my nerves. He's like a slightly mischievous, very hyperactive, innocent kid. I found the physical humor pretty amusing as well.

Cons: A bit cliched at times, but not nearly to the degree that the first trailer led me to believe it would be. God, how did they make such a terrible trailer? It's like they were trying to make it look bad. In particular, the opening should have just been cut out. It added nothing, and it's the same tired opening we've seen a million times. Like, seriously. Telling you what happens in the opening doesn't even qualify as a spoiler. The main character is doing a thing, the movie pauses, and the main character breaks the forth wall before rewinding back to the actual beginning of the plot. And the only time we hear forth wall breaking narration like that is when the story catches up, so it's just really out of place.

Spoiler stuff:

[spoiler]Sonic's power seems to have replaced the Chaos Emeralds. At least for now. No mention of any emeralds in this movie, although I suspect they're being saved for the sequel. Sonic has, in addition to his usual super speed, electromagnetic powers that he definitely does not have in the games. A tribe of echidnas attack young Sonic to try to steal his power, or something. Which means that Knuckles isn't the only one of his kind in this universe. Robotnik uses Sonic's quill to give his machines Sonic's super speed. Setting the pieces in motion for a mechanical counterpart to Sonic in the sequel...perhaps? Tails shows up in the midcredits scene, which I was not expecting. I thought they were going to show Knuckles, but I'm glad they didn't write Tails out of the story. Sonic and Tails are supposed to be best friends. From how I interpret the scene, it looks like Tails has been searching for Sonic ever since he left. So I guess that means they were childhood friends who ended up separated?

Now for predictions. My brother said there were seven worlds on Sonic's chart. I didn't get a good look at it, and I can't find a picture. However, the if true, the number seven is very unlikely to be a coincidence. That is the same number of Chaos Emeralds there are in the games. I suspect the next movie may have an Infinity Stones type situation, where the emeralds were scattered across worlds to keep them from being used for evil. Then Eggman finds an emerald on Mushroom Planet, uses it to escape, and searches for the others. Sonic will race to collect the rest of the emeralds before Robotnik, but Robotnik will inevitably get his hands on all of them and unveil Metal Sonic, powered by Sonic's quill. Sonic appears to be losing the battle, but he taps into the power of the Chaos Emeralds to become Super Sonic, and he decimates Metal Sonic and Robotnik. Maybe they'll even throw in a little Fleetway Comics inspiration and make Super Sonic evil by nature. But Sonic's friends snap him out of it, and he turns back to normal.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 24, 2020, 12:56:07 AMIn particular, the opening should have just been cut out. It added nothing, and it's the same tired opening we've seen a million times. Like, seriously. Telling you what happens in the opening doesn't even qualify as a spoiler. The main character is doing a thing, the movie pauses, and the main character breaks the forth wall before rewinding back to the actual beginning of the plot. And the only time we hear forth wall breaking narration like that is when the story catches up, so it's just really out of place.
Yeah, I dislike In Medias Res, and I especially dislike it when it's completely unnecessary.  They would've been just fine starting with kid Sonic and working from there.

https://youtu.be/cnNyIqh4i0I

Munch

Must say in regards to the sonic movie, it's very satisfying to see what happens when developers actually listen to people's reactions, and go back and correct their mistakes, resulting in a better, more successful product then it would have been.

It kinda stands as the example of giving the audience what they want, by making sonic actually look like sonic as people wanted, it showed everyone the movies crew cared about getting things right and not just handwaving off complaints or blaming the fans when it didn't become a success, something which has been a constant in many movies of late.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

We watched Parasite last night. I understand why it won Best Picture as it was effective on several different levels. Its social commentary that makes you think rather than preaching. It is also very funny.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 25, 2020, 01:55:40 PM
We watched Parasite last night. I understand why it won Best Picture as it was effective on several different levels. Its social commentary that makes you think rather than preaching. It is also very funny.

We round eyes don't get it.  The Park family there is like the Kennedy family here.  Technically, anyone not in food production or other bottom feeder economy ... is parasitic on those who are.  Been true since agriculture was invented.  Nomads and city dwellers preyed on farmers ... in the US it was Native Americans & bankers & nature vs farmers.

"Park Chung-hee, the third President of South Korea, was assassinated on October 26, 1979, during a dinner at the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) safehouse inside the Blue House presidential compound in Gangjeong-dong, Seoul, South Korea."
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on February 25, 2020, 05:12:30 PM
We round eyes don't get it.  The Park family there is like the Kennedy family here.  Technically, anyone not in food production or other bottom feeder economy ... is parasitic on those who are.  Been true since agriculture was invented.  Nomads and city dwellers preyed on farmers ... in the US it was Native Americans & bankers & nature vs farmers.

"Park Chung-hee, the third President of South Korea, was assassinated on October 26, 1979, during a dinner at the Korean Central Intelligence Agency (KCIA) safehouse inside the Blue House presidential compound in Gangjeong-dong, Seoul, South Korea."

President Trump didn't like the movie. Of course, he didn't watch it because it involves either speaking Korean or, you know, reading. He prefers movies like Gone With The Wind where the classes are distinct and color-coded.

https://youtu.be/ljkmb59UNwM

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman