News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Valley girl isn't a joke. Well, she is, but the phenomenon was real enough. I lived in the Basin for years and pretty much tripped over them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

I always look at valley girls to be the north american version of the British chav.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

It was just tribalism. "If you don't look and act like us you're an outcast." They wound up being a parody of themselves.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 14, 2020, 06:26:10 AM
It was just tribalism. "If you don't look and act like us you're an outcast." They wound up being a parody of themselves.
Thank you.  This is exactly what I meant when I first made the comment that came out something like, "valley girls aren't real."  The phenoenon is very real.  The girls exist, but the girls are/were just wearing masks.  Someone started it, and it became a fad.

Having said that, valley girl was the closest commonly used personality description that I could come up with to describe Harley Quinn, but the similarities are hardly a match.  What does stick I think is that Harley wears a mask that outwardly says, "I don't care," and comic book fans familiar with her have pointed that out.  I can buy that because I've seen it in real life and assume it's purpose is to create a barrier that covers... what? vulnerability?  Didn't Trump's wife actually wear a coat that said, "I don't care," in actual letters?  It's just a strange and often offensive thing that people do.  It's kind of a eye rolling trip to observe it in Harley, but exaggerated as it is, I couldn't take it non stop after 45 minutes.  One hour and forty-nine minutes would have sent me over the edge.  Even though the movie is fantasy, it's possibly too close to home for me.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on February 13, 2020, 09:14:23 PM
I always look at valley girls to be the north american version of the British chav.

Wiggers would be a more like-for-like... valley girls generally come from money, whereas the chav (as far as I am aware) are generally from low-income communities.

Valley girl would be more whatever your "posh" stereotype is.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

QuoteDidn't Trump's wife actually wear a coat that said, "I don't care," in actual letters?

She wore that to the border when people still cared about children being separated from their families and thrown in cages.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Yes, we care about unaccompanied children (aka young prostitutes) and children with fake parents (aka with their pimps).  No, invite all 7.5 billion people to the US, if they will only vote Dem.  And give them free benefits, that even people born here don't get.  And I am pro-Hispanic.  Hispanics born here don't want all the non-US Hispanics to move here, either.  Guess everyone is racist now.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

I think I just want to see a movie where US valley girls and British chavs fight to see who'd win.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 14, 2020, 03:28:05 PM
I think I just want to see a movie where US valley girls and British chavs fight to see who'd win.

Like this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG7WxuuMvnM
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I was more thinking of a blood brawl, nothings more creative then planning your opponents demise in an arena of death

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 14, 2020, 05:43:38 PM
I was more thinking of a blood brawl, nothings more creative then planning your opponents demise in an arena of death

"Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!".  Beta males understandably fear alpha males.  Alpha females follow alpha males, they never mate with beta males, except to keep them as gigolos.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 11, 2020, 10:49:01 PM
Triggered, snowflake?

Again, nope. I already knew how it was going to end. Now tell me more about how terrible it that an actor brought awareness to the  highly inhumane practices of the meat industry?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 12, 2020, 10:41:15 PMThe joker in the Joaquin phoenix movie isn't the same kind of joker who's been tormenting someone like Harley Quinn, because usually, the sympathy you have for anyone in the dynamic is usual Harley for being one of the jokers victims. In phoenix's joker role, the sympathy goes to him because of how his background is laid out, so the concept of Harley wouldn't fit as well with the Arthur fleck joker.

Most of the people Arthur kills are people who were mean to him. Most of them. But remember, there is one exception. The woman he had this imaginary relationship with. She literally did nothing to him, but he walks in and murders her anyway.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 15, 2020, 10:09:39 AM
Again, nope. I already knew how it was going to end. Now tell me more about how terrible it that an actor brought awareness to the  highly inhumane practices of the meat industry?

Are you vegetarian?  Nothing wrong if you are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 15, 2020, 10:22:56 AM
Most of the people Arthur kills are people who were mean to him. Most of them. But remember, there is one exception. The woman he had this imaginary relationship with. She literally did nothing to him, but he walks in and murders her anyway.

[spoiler]He was already unhinged by that point, and to him saw his imaginary relationship cracking apart, so in his mind probably thought killing her was wiping the slate clean. He killed his mother, doctor, star he idolised, and his riot got his father killed, so nothing was beyond him at that point.[/spoiler]