News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on February 11, 2020, 09:15:43 PM
just seems ironic a party calling itself democrats when they don't believe in democracy, rofl.

You think the Republicans wouldn't have attempted to impeach Obama if they actually had anything on him? Of course they would. The difference here is that Republicans actually have a criminal in office. Many of them know it, and have admitted it, but they will not convict someone on their own team, no matter how guilty they are.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 11, 2020, 10:12:57 PM
You think the Republicans wouldn't have attempted to impeach Obama if they actually had anything on him? Of course they would. The difference here is that Republicans actually have a criminal in office. Many of them know it, and have admitted it, but they will not convict someone on their own team, no matter how guilty they are.

Triggered, snowflake?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Ah, the mating call of the knuckle draggers.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 11, 2020, 10:12:57 PM

Obama ... fake Nobel Peace Prize followed by new wars in 4 countries (Libya, Syria, Ukraine, Yemen).  Like George W and Tony Blair (PM) these are war crimes to be seen by The Hague, not the Senate.  So yes, if the CIA approves of you, then you have nothing to worry about.  Also it appears now, that Obama approved a partisan interference in the opposition party candidate, worse than Nixon ... and was willfully blind to the corruption and war profiteering of the Biden and Clinton families etc.

So why do Republicans do what they do?  Total evil, spawn of Satan ... bwahaha.  I don't know.  I don't think you know either, except in your paranoia (and yes, I am very unhappy with the Demon-crats).  Most historical events were driven by hysterical proletariat fed conspiracy theories by the political crocodiles.

And yes, voted for Obama twice.  Never called for his impeachment myself (Independent), even though he did some things, I knew about then, that I didn't approve of.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 11, 2020, 09:15:43 PM
just seems ironic a party calling itself democrats when they don't believe in democracy, rofl.

Somewhat like Labour ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 12, 2020, 06:40:04 AM
Ah, the mating call of the knuckle draggers.

You mean the titanium katana carriers? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Birds of Prey

I'm amazed at the high grades from critics and audiences.  Margo Robbie characterizes a psycho airhead bimbo.  She really captures and exaggerates that personality type, and does it well.  Robbie prances and flaunts a silly girlish personality with energy and enthusiasm, but for no purpose.  I didn't wait for the movie to end and I was out of the theater after 45 minutes.  I felt like I was watching a version of Suicide Squad, but without a plot. 

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2020, 08:23:14 PM
Birds of Prey

I'm amazed at the high grades from critics and audiences.  Margo Robbie characterizes a psycho airhead bimbo.  She really captures and exaggerates that personality type, and does it well.  Robbie prances and flaunts a silly girlish personality with energy and enthusiasm, but for no purpose.  I didn't wait for the movie to end and I was out of the theater after 45 minutes.  I felt like I was watching a version of Suicide Squad, but without a plot.

I've heard the same. let me ask, have you ever explored the character of harley quinn from other mediums, like cartoons, comics, games? I've been following the character for years since she first appeared in batman the animated series in the 90s, and she's been both consistent and had some retellings in how they portray her, kinda like spiderman.

I wasn't impressed at what I saw of her in suicide squad and I wasn't impressed at scenes and clips of this one either. There are dozens of far better portrayals of harley quinn in other mediums

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wYab6r3RKw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLKWE1zLJGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J064TI8WDKo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HODsi-cSgPQ

When it comes to making a movie of a popular character, its pretty critical you hit the ground running. A movie can elevate a popular character or just make them seen as something not worthwhile to the general audiences that haven't invested in any other form of medium for the character. Can't expect all movie goers to have read comics and watched cartoons.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2020, 08:23:14 PMI felt like I was watching a version of Suicide Squad, but without a plot.
So, Suicide Squad.

SGOS

I've never seen Harley Quinn in any other medium, but I'm not that interested in getting involved with the genre on a deeper level.  If I stuff anymore entertainment on my plate, I'd have to give up something else.  I understand that comic book fans take the character development seriously, even finding fault when the modern films deviate too much from the original.  I like most of the films as they are.  Whether I need more background to like them more, I don't know.   In my opinion, this was just an uninteresting film that was going nowhere when I left the theater.  I'd never heard of he Guardians of the Galaxy before I saw that movie, and from the previews, I didn't think I would like the movies, whacky as they are, but standing alone without previous knowledge about the group, both Guardians were near masterpieces in my opinion.  Harley might have potential, and maybe she's portrayed differently in other mediums.  I might even be fascinated with her in other mediums, just not in the film. But I don't think my opinion is tainted by the character.  Harley works well for me in small doses, and if Suicide Squad offered anything, it was Harley.  This is just more about the film.  I never got a sense that anything important was happening.  Like Quinn, Joker is an unlikeable character too, but at least I felt compassion for him, because the movie was a well done character study, as well as a reflection of how society treats the less fortunate.  Joker in Suicide Squad failed because of casting and script.  I think it's about the film.

I've actually considered looking into the comics, something I missed as a kid, but it's would involve a commitment I'm not going to make considering all my other interests.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2020, 10:01:39 PM
I've never seen Harley Quinn in any other medium, but I'm not that interested in getting involved with the genre on a deeper level.  If I stuff anymore entertainment on my plate, I'd have to give up something else.  I understand that comic book fans take the character development seriously, even finding fault when the modern films deviate too much from the original.  I like most of the films as they are.  Whether I need more background to like them more, I don't know.   In my opinion, this was just an uninteresting film that was going nowhere when I left the theater.  I'd never heard of he Guardians of the Galaxy before I saw that movie, and from the previews, I didn't think I would like the movies, whacky as they are, but standing alone without previous knowledge about the group, both Guardians were near masterpieces in my opinion.  Harley might have potential, and maybe she's portrayed differently in other mediums.  I might even be fascinated with her in other mediums, just not in the film. But I don't think my opinion is tainted by the character.  Harley works well for me in small doses, and if Suicide Squad offered anything, it was Harley.  This is just more about the film.  I never got a sense that anything important was happening.  Like Quinn, Joker is an unlikeable character too, but at least I felt compassion for him, because the movie was a well done character study, as well as a reflection of how society treats the less fortunate.  Joker in Suicide Squad failed because of casting and script.  I think it's about the film.

I've actually considered looking into the comics, something I missed as a kid, but it's would involve a commitment I'm not going to make considering all my other interests.

That's what's interesting, in most portrayals of the joker, he is meant to be seen as an unlikable monster. Infact since the introduction of Harley, her role was used to show just how twisted a son of a bitch he was, taking a psychiatrist in training and twisting her into being a lunatic like him, but then after doing so with lies and manipulation, abused her, causing her to become the poster child for Stockholm syndrome.

Really it's Harley's introduction into the batman mythos that grounded the joker as an irredeemable bastard not just in innocent victims he tortured but also in people he convinced to have feelings for. That's one of the roles she played for many years now, to be his punching bag and show how he used any form of psychological tricks to fuck with people.

The joker in the Joaquin phoenix movie isn't the same kind of joker who's been tormenting someone like Harley Quinn, because usually, the sympathy you have for anyone in the dynamic is usual Harley for being one of the jokers victims. In phoenix's joker role, the sympathy goes to him because of how his background is laid out, so the concept of Harley wouldn't fit as well with the Arthur fleck joker.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 12, 2020, 10:01:39 PMI'd never heard of he Guardians of the Galaxy before I saw that movie, and from the previews, I didn't think I would like the movies, whacky as they are, but standing alone without previous knowledge about the group, both Guardians were near masterpieces in my opinion.
The GotG movies are not a perfect distillation of the source material (there are plenty of cut characters and the plot is very different), but they definitely captured the spirit of the series.  That's about as good as one can hope for with an adaptation.

Imo, the comics do help flesh out the characters a little more and I love some of their plotlines (I could've lived without others, though), but the Guardians series dovetails into so many other comics that it's basically the comics equivalent of a wiki walk (reading articles referencing other articles until you're reading about Cosmic Latte at 4am.  And is there really a difference between snow the color and white the color?)

SGOS

In the film, you are told little about her involvement with the Joker, but it did mention almost in passing what you were told in Suicide Squad.  And I could muster up some compassion on that account.  Here she's at the same point of her psychological development as she was in SS.  One possible rub for me was that I have known a number of women in actual life with that same personality, although not as exaggerated. These are usually rather immature high school age and the affect usually diminishes with age.  Maybe this is what is meant by "Valley girl?", a popular and probably fake but cultivated persona of the 80s, designed to give the appearance of a shallow uninteresting person.  I actually hold Margo Robbie in high regard for her ability to capture a fairly common, but not likeable personality.  I didn't stay long enough to witness her actual emancipation, as the movie advertised, but I wasn't able to make it through the "fluff Harley" to get to that.  My general rule of thumb behavior is that if a movie doesn't capture my interest in 30 minutes, I'm finished.  I've taken some highly acclaimed films out of my player and stopped watching them, figuring something was going to happen, but not having the patience to see it through.  Possibly my comments aren't warranted, since I didn't watch the whole film.  I doubt that I'll watch it again when the DVD is out, however.

Hydra009

QuoteMaybe this is what is meant by "Valley girl?", a popular and probably fake but cultivated persona of the 80s, designed to give the appearance of a shallow uninteresting person.
Fake, you say?  There are people out there very much like that.  I've met them.  The main mistake was making it a gendered rather than unisex term.

Imo, a big part of Harley Quinn's appeal (at least in her Batman animated series debut) is that she comes across as a ditzy, superficial person but we the audience get to see that she has hidden depths underneath that facade.

She's like a circus performer, putting on a big act in front of the crowd and a completely different person in front of the mirror, not unlike Joaquin Phoenix's Joker - just an inner goodness instead of an inner darkness.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 13, 2020, 03:16:59 PM
Fake, you say?  There are people out there very much like that.  I've met them.  The main mistake was making it a gendered rather than unisex term.

Imo, a big part of Harley Quinn's draw (at least in her Batman animated series debut) is that she comes across as a ditzy, superficial person but we the audience get to see that she has a hidden depths underneath that facade.  She's like a circus performer, putting on a big act in front of the crowd and a completely different person in front of the mirror, not unlike Joaquin Phoenix's Joker - just an inner goodness instead of an inner darkness.

In that series yeah, and in other incarnations. They also have done some pretty messed up alternative versions of her, like the gods and monsters alternative reality take on the justice League.