News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Darkest Hour - 9.5/10

Gary Oldman portrays Winston Churchill pretty good.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on January 09, 2020, 05:28:56 AM
Darkest Hour - 9.5/10

Gary Oldman portrays Winston Churchill pretty good.
Almost in tears at one point. "He armed the English language and sent it into battle."

Bad guy was  ahistorical, but I guess we needed that.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 09, 2020, 05:52:48 AM
Almost in tears at one point. "He armed the English language and sent it into battle."

Bad guy was  ahistorical, but I guess we needed that.

Chamberlain and Halifax were useless toffs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 09, 2020, 06:05:39 AM
Chamberlain and Halifax were useless toffs.
When Lord Lothian died WSC chose Halifax to babysit Roosevelt. That's not a post for useless toffs.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

I enjoyed that film, and then rented a couple of others on the subject.  I found it interesting that Churchill was so unpopular as a leader, yet so quickly recognized as the man for the job when England had it's back to the wall.  If it's true, I'd like to understand that dynamic better.  I guess certain leadership qualities emerge in changing political environments; That makes sense.  Who could have imagined the rise of Hitler before it happened?  He became a popular choice during German hardship, but should have been recognized as a madman from his writings when he was in prison, but desperate people just handed him power.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 09, 2020, 06:46:15 AM
When Lord Lothian died WSC chose Halifax to babysit Roosevelt. That's not a post for useless toffs.

You appeaser you! ;-)  He should have had Halifax thrown from the roof of Parliament, like in Yes Minister.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on January 09, 2020, 09:28:10 AM
I enjoyed that film, and then rented a couple of others on the subject.  I found it interesting that Churchill was so unpopular as a leader, yet so quickly recognized as the man for the job when England had it's back to the wall.  If it's true, I'd like to understand that dynamic better.  I guess certain leadership qualities emerge in changing political environments; That makes sense.  Who could have imagined the rise of Hitler before it happened?  He became a popular choice during German hardship, but should have been recognized as a madman from his writings when he was in prison, but desperate people just handed him power.
WSC was a tough nut, and, as the saying goes, "when things get tough you call in the bastards". (Attributed to George Catlett Marshall.)
PZ Myers

Hydra009

The most iconic scenes of all 9 movies.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Amazing theory I came across that might bear some truth to it, if anyone ever saw the movies in question. I loved the two Hellboy movies by Guillermo del Toro, both his directing and ron perlman as hellboy is one of my favorite combinations of armor and director (something the new hellboy movie recently failed to capture).

There was also a movie he made in 2006, pan's labyrinth, which became one of my all time top 10 favorite movies. What was questionable about the movie was if what happened in it were real or not, the harsh real world and the fantasy world the main character visited, if the fantasy was real or in her imagination, as a coping method for all the horrible things happening to her.
Del Toro came out and said in an intervew a few years back that the fantasy elements of pan's labyrinth were real, despite the ambiguity of it.

Whats interesting about this is the theory that the world of pan's labyrinth is the same world that hellboy exists in, because as someone pointed out many concepts and assets were very close to each other, designs, art, set pieces, even character concepts were very similar. And being both these worlds were from the same mind as del toro its possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/19ji54/hellboy_moviepans_labyrinth_unified_spoilers_if/

Am sad del toro couldn't make a trilogy.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 12, 2020, 02:03:22 PM
"1917" Ohmygod/Holyfuck.

One continuous shot, and incredulity that any protagonist survived.  Sure, I just happened to be standing there when a biplane crashed on top of me ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 12, 2020, 07:37:23 PM
Amazing theory I came across that might bear some truth to it, if anyone ever saw the movies in question. I loved the two Hellboy movies by Guillermo del Toro, both his directing and ron perlman as hellboy is one of my favorite combinations of armor and director (something the new hellboy movie recently failed to capture).

There was also a movie he made in 2006, pan's labyrinth, which became one of my all time top 10 favorite movies. What was questionable about the movie was if what happened in it were real or not, the harsh real world and the fantasy world the main character visited, if the fantasy was real or in her imagination, as a coping method for all the horrible things happening to her.
Del Toro came out and said in an intervew a few years back that the fantasy elements of pan's labyrinth were real, despite the ambiguity of it.

Whats interesting about this is the theory that the world of pan's labyrinth is the same world that hellboy exists in, because as someone pointed out many concepts and assets were very close to each other, designs, art, set pieces, even character concepts were very similar. And being both these worlds were from the same mind as del toro its possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/19ji54/hellboy_moviepans_labyrinth_unified_spoilers_if/

Am sad del toro couldn't make a trilogy.

Not the same as Labyrinth (1986).

My daughter and I enjoyed that one, very dark.  Anglos know nothing of what it is like to be Spanish.  The brutality, the underlying paganism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 13, 2020, 04:19:01 AM
One continuous shot, and incredulity that any protagonist survived.  Sure, I just happened to be standing there when a biplane crashed on top of me ;-)
I've been "sole survivor" twice, so I've given up on thinking anything is unlikely. You're born, shit happens, you die.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Saw info on The Prestige (2006) ... an interesting movie, with a cameo by Nicola Tesla.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.