News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2019, 10:22:37 AM[Spoiler]John Conner is killed off in the first few minutes of the film. Not only did this completely defeat the entire point of the first three movies, keeping John Conner alive long enough to do...whatever he does. But all they do with such a risky move is replace John with another character who has to be protected. It's completely unjustified.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I kinda like the idea that the good guys finally prevailed and successfully averted this dark future.  It gives a nice blank slate to change things up and do something different.

And what did the writers do with this golden opportunity?  They did the same damn thing all over again with different names.  Off-brand skynet, off-brand terminator, off-brand John Conner, same ol' terminator vs terminator face off.  Not only is that boring af, but it makes the whole success of John/Sarah Conner completely pointless.

It'd be like in Star Wars, the Empire gets defeated but then there's some off-brand Empire that comes in and fights the off-brand Rebels.  Do you have any idea how uninteresting that'd be??  No one in their right mind would be excited to buy a ticket to an unimaginative shitshow like that.[/spoiler]

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 16, 2019, 08:29:46 PM
It's not the murder you have to watch out for - he has a rather corrupting presence.  He's more likely to get in your head and really do some damage than to off you.  And he can either scale it up for city-wide carnage or scale it down for a truly unforgettable bad day.
And of course, murder ends the torment while psychological scarring is forever.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2019, 08:32:21 PM
And of course, murder ends the torment while psychological scarring is forever.

The joker often didn't care if people lived or died, it was really down to how he could mess with them before he killed them. Even harlequin who he manipulated into being infatuated with him he saw as just something to throw away when he was bored of her. Batman has often been the exception because he enjoyed the eternal struggle with him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OovKTBO4aQs

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Midsommar: 9/10.

Made me uncomfortable, fucked with my brain a few times, but overall not as good as the director's previous work on Annihilation. Still, a really fucking good movie to watch while your baked.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

wtf did they do the fred, velma and daphne?

scooby and shaggy look fine

Baruch

The new Midway ... 9/10.  Main problem is there is too much to cover from June 41 to June 42 to make a watchable movie.  But it did hit all the high points.  Actual documentaries cover the actual combat/leadership problems better of course, but miss the human element.  Most of the characters in the movie were real people, like the movie Gettysburg.  It would take a movie as long as Gettysburg to do the events justice.

No, this is better than Pearl Harbor or even the 1976 Midway movie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on November 07, 2019, 02:35:06 AM
Midsommar: 9/10.

Made me uncomfortable, fucked with my brain a few times, but overall not as good as the director's previous work on Annihilation. Still, a really fucking good movie to watch while your baked.
I liked Midsommar a lot, but it's not as good in the re-watch because so much of it depends on the surprises.  Annihilation is a better re-watch, because the shimmer never seems to get old for me.  Both leave you trying to make some sense out of what you just saw.  I liked that, but I'd give Midsommar the higher score, because it had a stronger emotional effect on me.  There's something creepy in the juxtaposition of the innocent and the hideous.

SGOS

I was down in the Big Easy last week, so I'm catching up on the movies I missed, both at the Redbox and box office, and I've got some choices to make for tomorrow's "Tightwad Tuesday" at the theaters.  I'm passing on the Terminator after reading the responses here, and even though I own the original trilogy, I never thought that highly of the series.  Dr. Sleep may be interesting, although like Terminator, I never understood the fuss about the Shining.  Without Marvel and DC dominating the theaters every month, I'm going back into my old laid back theater going mode.  There's just nothing happening that I can't live without.  Sure, I'll go to the movies because that's what I do, but not with the high level of excited anticipation when there is a Marvel or DC "happening." I've seen Joker twice so I won't see that again until it comes out on DVD.

Motherless Brooklyn is catching my attention, because it's an Edward Norton project, and I cannot remember a Norton movie that I didn't like.  It may have a film noir aspect that for unknown reasons always interests me.  I may not know what I'm going to see until I get there.  I'm not sure why I wrote this.  It's just coffee thoughts early in the morning.

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CEkmSwQUc

This is insane, and I love it.

A comic book based movie, with a limited budget, without over the top or any CGI, and a limited cast, without appealing to China's hyper sensitive restrictions, has become the most popular and profitable (by comparison) comic book movie of all time.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on November 11, 2019, 07:22:46 AM

A comic book based movie, with a limited budget, without over the top or any CGI, and a limited cast, without appealing to China's hyper sensitive restrictions, has become the most popular and profitable (by comparison) comic book movie of all time.
I read that at some entertainment site and had exactly the same reaction.  And it's from DC after a couple of dismal failures to boot.  I would have expected it to be Marvel, but here's to the underdog!  Well done!

SGOS

I have a friend you occasionally goes to the movies.  He has somewhat unusual tastes, and is rather snobbish about the fact he never saw a Marvel or DC movie of recent years.  Recent years means to me "after the release of Iron Man I," which in my mind, marks the turning point in in a new movie era.

Anyway he gave me a call and asked if I had seen Joker, because he was thinking about going to it.  I was astonished that he was even interested.  I tried not to play it up because I didn't want to meet with his usual disinterest in anything that was popular with the masses, although I did mention that I thought it was brilliant.  A week later, he called me and said he just came back from Joker and raved about the film, getting into details like photography and music, things that I didn't pay a lot of attention to myself.

This Joker thing is a phenomenon.  I don't understand it.  I didn't understand the wide interest in superheroes either, even though I was mesmerized by them personally.  But it's about time.

Baruch

Welcome to the Clown World of anarcho-syndicalism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 11, 2019, 07:22:46 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-CEkmSwQUc

The crazy thing about this is that I absolutely love this movie (I've seen it three times!) - I love the camera work, I love the acting, I love the drab setwork,  I love the music, I love the dark and disturbing tone, I love the surface-level plot, I love the hidden plot, I love the social/political message, I love the unreliable narration, etc.  I love all of that stuff and I am absolutely amazed this ever saw the light of day, let alone became the #1 R-rated movie this year.

But both the people I've seen it with (I went alone one time) did not like it much at all.  One only understood the surface-level plot and apparently wanted it to be more upbeat (dafuq?!) and the other wanted more of a traditional superhero movie where the Joker is fighting Bats.  Both of them showed up for the Joker and didn't seem to care much Arthur.  Apparently, a poor, downtrodden sod isn't much of a crowdpleaser.  I'm sorely tempted to inform them that that's the point.  A major theme is man's poor treatment of man and Arthur Fleck is a sort of everyman, albeit mentally deranged.

SGOS

You saw it three times?  I saw it twice.  The only movie I saw three times at the theater was Dr. Strange.