Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 11, 2019, 06:29:46 PM
Strange, you replied it to me.
But that's okay, I can take joke.

As the computer guy said to the flying guy in Independence day, Oops?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 02:45:01 PM
Well I sure understand things like not watching football, soccer, tennis, etc.  I generally would rather DO something than watch it.  But baseball?  Thats the time I visit my cat-blogging friends.  Nothing happens for a while and I happily visit.  And when something DOES they replay it!  Its perfect.

Now, that may SEEM like soccer, but in soccer nothing EVER happens.   Baseball is the only sport to not-quite-watch! 

AND, I might add, everyone KNOWS they could play baseball.  Even the pro batters just swing stupid, right?

;)
I used to try and explain/defend my addiction to baseball.  I love everything about it.  Especially the stats.  As a kid I'd go over the stats in all kind of ways--and it did help me in my grammar school math classes.  I loved collecting cards and interacting with others who did the same.  to this day, I love baseball stats--called saber-metrics now, and they can be quite complicated.  And I like watching it, rooting for and against teams/players.  I realize that it is all basically fluff--but it is my fluff.  And it keeps my interest.  I belong to 3 and sometimes 4 baseball simulation leagues--I've been in one since '95.  Great group of guys (48) and I've spent long hours/days/years on that league.  Love it. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 06:00:37 PM
I meant Baruch...

But if you want to be easily amused,  e4

Never.  There is nothing amusing about anything.  It is Hell, all the way down.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Jojo Rabbit extended trailer was better.

They need to do the same sendup for Stalin and his family.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Something that bugs me about the Star Wars sequels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3udI6VTNQR8

These movies are narrowly focused on a few characters, lacking any sort of larger context.  The audience isn't told anything about the strategic situation aside from the occassional text scroll.

Obviously, you don't want to go overboard, but it'd be nice to be able to gauge the relative power (and trends) of the factions, what their goals are, what their motivations are, how close they are to achieving their goals, and I'd also like to have some clue as to what the average person thinks about all of this.

We've been so short on details that I thought for sure that The Last Jedi was trying to villify both The Resistance and the First Order as people who have lost all perspective and seek only to refight the last war pointlessly and without meaning.  If you've seen the ending fight of Gundam Wing, that's what I thought they were going for.  Oh how wrong I was.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 15, 2019, 09:01:33 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-TdAi4FW-Y

That doesn't look bad, it looks funny actually. But why as a response at my love of Thor: Ragnarok? It was a good move for its genre and with its time in that franchise, a lamely funny, light one. It works. You can't have Thor going through a very interesting story. This is probably the only way to show him like a down to earth, fun loving silly-awkward 'man', as something different. What are they going to write for him? He is not Batman, he is a god king of some magical realm. I like Avengers, but these genre of comic book characters don't stretch much. It's is their nature, this is not Sandman.

What if they had made one with love story in it? With Portman's character or with some Valkyrie... OW

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Same director, playing an imaginary Hitler.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 18, 2019, 06:31:43 AM
Same director, playing an imaginary Hitler.

Oh I see. Why didn't you say that up there,lol.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Festival Express needs to be in my top two music documentaries/concert films, but I am constitutionally incapable of demoting either The Grateful Dead Movie or The Last Waltz.  Even better than the concert footage is the informal jams held by the musicians while traveling from venue to venue -- various members of the Grateful Dead, The Band, Janis Joplin and her group, Buddy Guy and his band, The Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Delaney & Bonnie, among others -- basically just fuckin' around and playing for the sheer joy of playing... as if a jam involving Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Rick Danko, Janis Joplin, and John Dawson could ever be "just fuckin' around".

So I have a tie for the three best concert films/music documentaries now.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2019, 08:53:15 PM
Never.  There is nothing amusing about anything.  It is Hell, all the way down.

Did you go all the way down on Dante?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GapV9hLkKtM

I have no idea what this is, but I really want to see it.

Also, any translators in the house?

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on September 23, 2019, 07:04:54 PM
Festival Express needs to be in my top two music documentaries/concert films, but I am constitutionally incapable of demoting either The Grateful Dead Movie or The Last Waltz.  Even better than the concert footage is the informal jams held by the musicians while traveling from venue to venue -- various members of the Grateful Dead, The Band, Janis Joplin and her group, Buddy Guy and his band, The Flying Burrito Brothers, New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Delaney & Bonnie, among others -- basically just fuckin' around and playing for the sheer joy of playing... as if a jam involving Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, Rick Danko, Janis Joplin, and John Dawson could ever be "just fuckin' around".

So I have a tie for the three best concert films/music documentaries now.
The Almond Brothers had an album that included a song by Delaney and Bonnie that sounded totally unpolished, almost like they meant it to be that way.  It sounded like two musicians sitting on the porch in the first attempt at putting a song together.  I was captivated by the dissonance.  If I could do the same song like that after 5 years of practice, it wouldn't be as good.  I'd never heard of Delaney and Bonnie before or since then.  The song was something about "Come on in my kitchen.... " (can't remember what else), but I just wanted to go in their kitchen and experience the cooking smells.  Weird.