News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

From some explanation I read about what's up with Sony and Disney:
QuoteSo as a combination of both studios believing their partnership to be not all that valuable, yet still expecting a sizable stake in any renewed agreement, of course things couldn’t work out. To fans, and plenty of industry experts though, it’s obvious that both studios should reach a compromise. Tom Holland’s Spider-Man, for better or worse, has been tied to the Marvel Cinematic Universe since his inception. Removing that aspect of the character is tantamount to a full-on reboot. Not to mention the sweeping changes to this series’ creative team if a deal isn’t reached. Contrary to previous reports, Jon Watts is not signed on to make more Spider-Man films, and aside from Tom Holland, it’s unclear which members of the cast have contracts with Marvel or with Sony. Holland himself is still signed for two more films though.

I like good movies.  So who doesn't?  I really don't take much interest in the quarrels of multi billion dollar enterprises.  From my position of little or no consequence in the big scheme of things, I'm just happy when a good film comes my way.  Fuck Disney and fuck Sony.  The Marvel Universe wasn't their idea, anyway.  Now that Stan Lee is dead, the vultures are picking over his bones.  They can do whatever they want with whatever characters they choose.  If this all goes to shit, I won't pay to see their movies.  If they still make good movies, I'll buy tickets.  Beyond that, I've got other things to do with in my life.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:53:21 AM
So what movies?
What I meant was that people will go to movies that appeal to them.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2019, 11:21:23 AM
What I meant was that people will go to movies that appeal to them.

Well, I didn't mean that people would beat feet in the middle of most movies.  Quite frankly, most are pretty good these days.  Though I DO see an uptick in horror movies (which bore me).

Cavebear

Not the one I watched but the one I probably WILL watch later today or tomorrow.  Incredibles2 is down to $2.99 on Fios so I will rent it

I bet I don't like it as much as the original.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:27:13 AM
Well, I didn't mean that people would beat feet in the middle of most movies.  Quite frankly, most are pretty good these days.  Though I DO see an uptick in horror movies (which bore me).

History is real life horror.  Many Millennials love Trump-The Presidency better than Jason XII.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:27:13 AM
I didn't say that was what you meant.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:37:47 AM
Not the one I watched but the one I probably WILL watch later today or tomorrow.  Incredibles2 is down to $2.99 on Fios so I will rent it

I bet I don't like it as much as the original.
Jack-Jack vs. the trash panda.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 24, 2019, 12:06:32 PM
I didn't say that was what you meant.

And I equally didn't mean that you said so.  I just find horror movies somewhat silly.  I did admire the early Halloween movies interesting due to the creative ways people were killed.  But that ended when the psychiatrist "filcked the bic" among the oxygen tanks.  It was done after that. 

'Alien' scared the spit out of me though.  I was in the 2nd group on opening night in NYC.  The first viewers came out pasty-faced  and my friend and I both said "Oh Crap".  I still have a T shirt that says "Here Jonsie" and I won't wear it...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:09:09 PM
And I equally didn't mean that you said so.  I just find horror movies somewhat silly.  I did admire the early Halloween movies interesting due to the creative ways people were killed.  But that ended when the psychiatrist "filcked the bic" among the oxygen tanks.  It was done after that. 

'Alien' scared the spit out of me though.  I was in the 2nd group on opening night in NYC.  The first viewers came out pasty-faced  and my friend and I both said "Oh Crap".  I still have a T shirt that says "Here Jonsie" and I won't wear it...

i have never watched any of the Alien movies.  When the first one came out, I saw after-market the comic book that covered the story-line in a store window.  Scared the hell of me!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 24, 2019, 11:08:03 PM
i have never watched any of the Alien movies.  When the first one came out, I saw after-market the comic book that covered the story-line in a store window.  Scared the hell of me!

The first one had the advantage of not seeming to have a sequel built-in.  Plus, at the time, the audience had the thought that the Alien was the victim.  I distinctly remember every follicle raising when I saw the first drop of acid fall.  Atheist or not, it was an O M G moment.

It was several years before I could watch the moviw with eyes wide open.  BTW, I loved watching 'Prometheus" some years ago.  I went "HEY", this is a prequel!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 11:29:33 PM
The first one had the advantage of not seeming to have a sequel built-in.  Plus, at the time, the audience had the thought that the Alien was the victim.  I distinctly remember every follicle raising when I saw the first drop of acid fall.  Atheist or not, it was an O M G moment.

It was several years before I could watch the moviw with eyes wide open.  BTW, I loved watching 'Prometheus" some years ago.  I went "HEY", this is a prequel!

Alien is my favorite horror movie.

My dad always tells an amusing tale. He skipped class to go watch it in the cinema. He was the only one, apart from one other, who sat at the front, in the entire room.
He was scared shitless, made worse by the lack of others in a large, dark room.
He never played hookey again.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on August 24, 2019, 09:09:09 PM

"Alien" was a tech. flick with murders.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on August 25, 2019, 02:22:53 AM
Alien is my favorite horror movie.

My dad always tells an amusing tale. He skipped class to go watch it in the cinema. He was the only one, apart from one other, who sat at the front, in the entire room.
He was scared shitless, made worse by the lack of others in a large, dark room.
He never played hookey again.

Yeah, it was all unexpected.  I can't express enough how we first-nighters responded.  I've nentioned that the first audience all came out pasty-faced, but maybe not HOW pasty-faced.  They were in actual shock.  Some actually said "don't go in there".  Some staggerred as the walked out. 

I was not expecting any greater surprise than a typical horror movie or even something routinely outer-spacey, so I didn't have any reason to exaggerate my opinion of the emerging audience.  But I had never saw such a reaction. 

I only had nightmares about 2 movies before and that was 'The Crawling Eye' then I was a child  and 'The Triffids' which only came to bother me later when I had to take out the trash under overhanging shrubs at night at 10. 

I never have bad dreams about earthly monsters.  I don't believe in them.  But we don't know what is out there in other places.  THAT came to bother me a great deal.  The Alien came to represent that concern. 

I've seen dead people from car accidents and I saw the police shoot a guy on the street once (justifiably) from just a few feet away.

But nothing scared the shit out of me like the first watching of 'Alien'.  Because they might be out there.  We MIGHT be the meanest bastards in the universe.  Or not.  And it doesn't take much of a difference to lose.

We know that from our own history.  A slight difference in lethal skills and one side or the other wins.  Suppose there is a 10% difference?  Your toast.

I regret the Voyager information.  I want to think that any intelligent species will mean well, but our own experience says not.

I'm not silly enough to worry about Galactus or Thanos.  What I AM worried about is something like the 'Alien', a mindless predator.  Because if there are a lot of intelligences "out there" one is going to be nasty...