News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 21, 2019, 07:03:38 PM
Yeah, but is this for a movie or a spinoff? I know they're doing a Loki spinoff, and a Winter Soldier / Falcon (I think) spinoff for their new streaming service no one asked for. Those shows seem to be for the stories no one will see on the big screen. So if that is where fem Thor is going, no big deal.

I doubt they would have presented the lineup of up coming movies at comiccon in the same grouping if they weren't aiming to make them movies. I mean sure the whole loki spinoff thing and the while alternative realities thing could be a possibility, but given the main leads for prominent roles in the MCU are retiring now doubt they'd do a miles morales thing with these franchises.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 21, 2019, 07:11:54 PM
It's hard to imagine Natalie Portman wielding Thor's hammer.
She could do the Marvel workout circuit, really get ripped.

QuoteNow, a whip; I could get off on that.
I bet you could.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on July 21, 2019, 12:43:35 AM
Natalie Portman announced as the new Thor.

I'm meh about this, not because "OmG fEmAlE tHoR!!!" but her character didn't really scream... Thor... to me.
"Lady Thor"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 23, 2019, 10:39:52 AM
"Tits Thor"
The last person who tried to kill me was PMSing. Just sayin'.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 23, 2019, 09:49:59 AM
Thunder Thighs
Portman only ways 48 kg. No thunder to those thighs.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 23, 2019, 04:56:52 PM
Portman only ways 48 kg. No thunder to those thighs.

Thank god for CGI and body suites, yes?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Marvel Phase 4:

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 will be 2022 or later.  :(

Out of these, I'm most pumped for Black Widow, Mister Doctor, and What If.  What If sounds particularly promising.

For those of you who don't know, Marvel's What If comics took pivotal moments in comics history and took them in a completely different direction.  And it gave writers a license to just go completely nuts with a story, knowing full well that none of it would be canon.  They also highlight the stakes by showing in excruciating detail exactly what happens when the heroes lose.  It's not pretty.

So you'd get crazy stuff like Tony Stark piloting a cross between a Battletech Mech and an Evangelion Angel while fighting Magneto to the death.

Or three vignettes of War Machine confronting the Living Laser and that goes three completely different ways (I loved this one because it showed that combat isn't necessarily the best way of dealing with a crisis where combat looks like the only reasonable option)

And I don't care what anyone says, Iron Man and Doctor Doom stuck in Arthurian legend was *$&*ing lit, son.  Despite the insane concept, that characterization was magnifique, yo.  Okay, I'll stop now.

But they weren't all winners.  Some of these stories were dumb and kinda illogical and did I mention dumb?

Given the epic moments of the MCU, particularly certain events involving the Infinity Stones, there's a lot of potential here for some truly massive plot twists and new characters.  'Nuff said!

Munch

Only thing that looks interesting in that lineup is the what if, because what if was a concept in marvel to tell alternative tales on stories and their outcomes, so if their clever their bring back fav favourites for a one off movie like ironman or cap.

Blackleaf

Since Marvel has the X-Men back, they could do a What-If where Thanos and Deadpool meet. I understand those two have a bit of a rivalry in the comics, although Lady Death doesn't exist in the MCU.

I think I'm seeing a pattern in that picture, though. Did you notice that half of them have the Disney logo, and half don't? I think the ones with the Disney logo will be shows on Disney's streaming service. I know at least that Loki is definitely going to be one of those shows. Can't really think of anything else the Disney logo-ed ones would have in common. So Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, and Fem Thor are the movies of phase four. And The Falcon / Winter Soldier, Wanda Vision, Loki, What If, and Hawkeye are all spin-off shows. Part of me kinda hopes the shows suck so I don't have to get a streaming service to watch them. lol

What If actually makes more sense in a broken up, episodic format, than a two hour movie. This way, each episode could be its own separate scenario, and they don't have to worry about building a single cohesive story. However, a show is likely to get less funding than a movie, so it's a double edged sword.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 24, 2019, 12:52:55 AMHowever, a show is likely to get less funding than a movie, so it's a double edged sword.
I prefer to think of it as perfectly balanced.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 24, 2019, 12:52:55 AM
Since Marvel has the X-Men back, they could do a What-If where Thanos and Deadpool meet. I understand those two have a bit of a rivalry in the comics, although Lady Death doesn't exist in the MCU.

I think I'm seeing a pattern in that picture, though. Did you notice that half of them have the Disney logo, and half don't? I think the ones with the Disney logo will be shows on Disney's streaming service. I know at least that Loki is definitely going to be one of those shows. Can't really think of anything else the Disney logo-ed ones would have in common. So Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, Doctor Strange 2, and Fem Thor are the movies of phase four. And The Falcon / Winter Soldier, Wanda Vision, Loki, What If, and Hawkeye are all spin-off shows. Part of me kinda hopes the shows suck so I don't have to get a streaming service to watch them. lol

What If actually makes more sense in a broken up, episodic format, than a two hour movie. This way, each episode could be its own separate scenario, and they don't have to worry about building a single cohesive story. However, a show is likely to get less funding than a movie, so it's a double edged sword.

marvel already screwed the pooch on that when they kept celestial beings out of the movieverse continuity. Thanos without his worship of mistress death leaves a void, it what made the whole thanos vs deadpool thing work.

Sal1981

I wonder how far away we're from AI generating a complete novel movie with only a few training data.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on July 25, 2019, 09:22:39 AM
I wonder how far away we're from AI generating a complete novel movie with only a few training data.
Three, maybe four, parsecs.
PZ Myers