News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 17, 2019, 12:13:25 PM
The police will tell you that night burglars are the most dangerous, because they are confident someone will be home, so they're looking for a confrontation.

Your Dad is the rare responsible gun owner. Kudos!

Having a gun for self-protection means it isn't stored safely. Kids die like that.

My cats don't have fingers.  And are anti-NRA.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

When I was a kid, I saw the cover of a Captain Marvel comic book.  I'm pretty sure he was a man, so when I heard they were making him a her, it kind of bothered me.  But then I heard because of some lawsuit from DC Comics, they had already made Captain Marvel a woman anyway.  Prejudice aside, I went to see Captain Marvel a few months back because I didn't want break my chain of not missing a Marvel Movie on the day it opened.  Actually, I didn't care for the movie, but maybe it was my mood, or something else.  Then I went to see it again to try and like it more, and I did, but didn't think it was in Marvel's top 5.  Then it came out on DVD, which I bought because I have all the Marvel movies starting with Iron Man in my collection.  Since then, I've watched it maybe 6 more times.  I've got to say I love this movie, and am looking forward to watching it again.  I think Captain Marvel as a woman in both the origin story and Endgame is Marvel's second most exciting character.  Obviously, this is personal taste, as I'm the only person I know that ranks Dr. Strange as the most exciting Marvel Character.  Not sure why I brought it up.  It may not even relate to the fuss about changing race or gender of characters.  I never followed the comics as a kid, so none of this is much of an adjustment for me.  To me a good character in the movies is a product of casting, directing, and script.  And Captain Marvel has got my attention.

SGOS

I'm not a fan of horror, unless they introduce an evil worthy of disturbing me and keeping me awake at nights.  This of course means that the only evil up to the task must be human, as no other entity can scare me as much as mankind pursuing some sick philosophical tangent.  Midsommer stands out in this regard, and I'm having a hard time getting that film out of my head. It's in English, but the crew lists a lot of obvious Scandinavian names.  It may have been shot in Sweden, but who knows?  The main part of the story takes place in a Swedish commune composed of a large number of deranged cult members.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 17, 2019, 07:31:39 PMI think Captain Marvel as a woman in both the origin story and Endgame is Marvel's second most exciting character.  Obviously, this is personal taste, as I'm the only person I know that ranks Dr. Strange as the most exciting Marvel Character.  Not sure why I brought it up.
Eh, she's not quite there with me - she needs to be fleshed out more, maybe a good team-up movie (Ooh! A duo movie with Rogue would be cinematic gold!) but she certainly has potential.

It just bugs me how in Captain Marvel, we know virtually nothing about her time with the Kree (did she actually have problems keeping her powers/temper under control or was that just a line?) and less than nothing about her struggle to end the Kree-Skrull war.  Their origin story wrapped in a hollywood amnesia plot was good as far as those go, but I'm going to need more than that to get emotionally invested in the long term, especially considering that her much-hyped Endgame appearance was brief and underwhelming.

I liked her comic.  I tuned in during Secret Invasion/Dark Reign, and I've gotta say, both the artwork and general story were excellent!  Very hard to put down!  *smash cut to Civil War II and me very easily putting it down*  Okay...maybe not that hard to put down...but for a while there it was really good!  But my therapist says I shouldn't read any more comics with Captain Marvel for a few more deca...for a while.

Munch

Rogues a fleshed out and likeable character
Captain marvel, this current Captain marvel, is a farce, with the personality of cardboard.

I'd ask them to make a movie about rogue, having loved her from the 80s-90s comics and animated series, but I'm to afraid what modern marvel would do with her if they did.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on July 17, 2019, 07:31:39 PM
When I was a kid, I saw the cover of a Captain Marvel comic book.  I'm pretty sure he was a man, so when I heard they were making him a her, it kind of bothered me.  But then I heard because of some lawsuit from DC Comics, they had already made Captain Marvel a woman anyway. 

See thing is, marvels Captain marvel has always been a woman, she was known as ms marvel for a time. Captain marvel of DC comics is a man and a different character, also going by the name shazam. The only connection between the two are the names Captain and marvel together

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 17, 2019, 08:46:32 PM
Rogues a fleshed out and likeable character
Comics Rogue, definitely.  The 90s cartoon Rogue, absolutely.  Movie Rogue, not so much.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 17, 2019, 08:53:20 PM
Comics Rogue, definitely.  The 90s cartoon Rogue, absolutely.  Movie Rogue, not so much.

Agreed. I'd like to see this rogue in a movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dcTr3TqGaio#searching

Hydra009

I love how in the X-Men animated series, you can get introduced to a character and get a pretty good idea of what they're all about in like 5 seconds.  There's just a lot of details - appearance, actions, dialogue, reactions to other characters - that convey a hell of a lot of information in such a short time.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 17, 2019, 05:09:01 PM
Irrelevant.

Dogs are too loyal to be dangerous.  But don't trust cats ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 17, 2019, 08:31:11 PM
Eh, she's not quite there with me - she needs to be fleshed out more...
Perhaps, much of this is yet to come.  I've noticed that in other Marvel films things that at first didn't make sense become clearer.  And it jarred me also, leaving me at first with the sense that something was missing, but then a sense of relief when a later film shed more light on a mystery.  Sometimes I sensed those gaps that are actually explained within the current movie.  I like to watch them several times to get a clearer understanding, and Captain Marvel was like that for me.  After watching it maybe 4 times, I caught many little details that helped bring a lot more understanding.  It may have been why I didn't care for Captain Marvel the first time.  I may have been distracted, and I think I even dozed off during the movie a time or two.  I may have been tired.  It's almost embarrassing how much I can miss in a film.

It just bugs me how in Captain Marvel, we virtually nothing about her time with the Kree (did she actually have problems keeping her powers/temper under control or was that just a line?) and less than nothing about her struggle to end the Kree-Skrull war.
There was a lot missing there, although I never felt like all of that needed more explanation to get to the rest of the origin story.  It struck me as the writers purposely left that vague, so people could imagine their own filler, but that still may be clarified later.

Did she actually have problems controlling her powers?  I don't know, but I assumed it was indeed a lie invented by the Kree for the purpose of controlling her, although I'm not sure how they thought it would control her.  They kept saying they gave her those powers and could take them away.  That was clearly a lie.  He powers came from the explosion of the energy core in the crashed plane.  The Kree did implant what appeared to be a governor button in her neck, which she eventually removed at the end of the film to unleash the full extent of her power, and then it was Katie bar the door and a new hero came into being at that instant.

Their origin story wrapped in a hollywood amnesia plot was good as far as those go, but I'm going to need more than that to get emotionally invested in the long term, especially considering that her much-hyped Endgame appearance was brief and underwhelming.
It seems like there is a redundancy from one origin story to the next, with but only slight variations in how the heroes gain their strength.  Yet I'm a sucker for origin stories.  I love them, and the format has yet to get stale for me.

One of the things I liked about Endgame and Captain Marvel is that she wasn't there most of the time.  She was off cleaning up evil in other parts of the universe.  I liked the Avengers scripted so as to clean up their own mess without her because it seemed like that was their job in keeping with the overall plot of all the previous movies, and whether they would have cleaned up their mess was touch and go until Captain Marvel showed up at the end and put a stop to Thanos once and for all.  It kind of ended the Avengers series, but still set the stage for whatever Marvel has up their sleeve next. 

I've worried about what comes next, but now I'm thinking it may be better than I imagined.  Without Stan Lee?  I don't know how much he shaped the movie Universe.  There was something about the whole Marvel thing that was much more creative than what we had gotten used to from Hollywood.  Did Stan Lee do that?  We will see.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 17, 2019, 10:24:00 PMI've worried about what comes next, but now I'm thinking it may be better than I imagined.  Without Stan Lee?  I don't know how much he shaped the movie Universe.  There was something about the whole Marvel thing that was much more creative than what we had gotten used to from Hollywood.  Did Stan Lee do that?  We will see.
I doubt he was personally involved in production and direction, but his appearances on set no doubt were a great morale boost and quite inspirational.

What I am worried about is some combination of franchise fatigue (waning fan interest), resting on one's laurels (waning production creativity/effort), and talent loss (skilled actors retiring from the MCU and getting subpar replacements)

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 17, 2019, 11:50:39 PM
I doubt he was personally involved in production and direction, but his appearances on set no doubt were a great morale boost and quite inspirational.

What I am worried about is some combination of franchise fatigue (waning fan interest), resting on one's laurels (waning production creativity/effort), and talent loss (skilled actors retiring from the MCU and getting subpar replacements)

The way I see it, after Spider-Man: Far From Home, the Russo Brothers have finished telling the story they wanted to tell. Now it's a matter of whether or not Disney can come up with another story that is worth sticking around for. I have my doubts, but I won't knock it before it happens. Everyone and their mother is trying to copy their cinematic universe thing, and none of them have been able to pull it off. Looking at you, DC. So for Marvel to keep this up after their main brains have left would be impressive.

Of course, we do have Gunn back for Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3. I'm confident that, at least, will be good.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 17, 2019, 11:50:39 PM
Fan wise, every franchise, TV series, and even a genere to some extent can lose it's base of interest.  More often than we would like, it happens when management runs the whole show into the ground in the name of maximizing profit while producing as little as possible.  I think management is an important concept, but not all management is equal.  And that's true for managing movie production to managing a warehouse or school system or entire country.

I felt my interest in superheroes flagging at one time, but then Marvel would come up with something new and draw me back in.  I don't think this will last forever, but I'll always appreciate the movie phenomena that Marvel created, not only because I enjoyed the films, but also in just sitting back and watching how it captured the imagination of the world.