News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Went and saw Jaws on Friday night, hosted by Fritz the Nite Owl, our local late night movie host.

You know what?  It's still a damn good movie.  I saw it probably six or seven times in the theater in its original run (which lasted almost three years -- the days before home video when a movie stayed in the theaters as long as it remained profitable rather than being rushed out to Blu-Ray almost before the run closes).  It's unusual when a movie adaptation is better than the book, but I've seen the movie and I've read the book, and the movie is better.  If you get the chance to see it in a theater -- either again or for the first time -- do it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

I guess diversity is a bad thing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 15, 2019, 08:08:13 AM
I guess diversity is a bad thing.

If there is a movie you want to make, or to attend, go for it.  But I may choose to ignore it.  And I have no means or interest in making my own movies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 15, 2019, 08:16:54 AM
If there is a movie you want to make, or to attend, go for it.  But I may choose to ignore it.  And I have no means or interest in making my own movies.
So, we have diverse tastes. Not a horrible thing, now is it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 15, 2019, 12:16:40 PM
So, we have diverse tastes. Not a horrible thing, now is it.

Yes.  But per SJW ... soon people will be required to watch "woke" propaganda.  Our children already are in GB and the US.  Neither the Left nor the Right love freedom, they both lover power and tyranny.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

As promised, my Spider-Man: Far From Home review:

[spoiler]I loved it.  Absolutely loved it.  9.5/10 This movie is even better than Homecoming, imo.

It has a little bit of everything, a little teen drama, a little comedy, a little action, and one doozy of a ending.

For starters, let's talk about the weakest part, the teen drama.
A lot of people didn't like this, and yeah, that's kind of the point.  You're supposed to be just as annoyed as Peter.  You just want to be with MJ or talk to Fury and all these well-meaning but annoying people are getting in the way.  It also highlights how Peter is a teen with teen wants and needs, which serves to ground Spider-Man and makes the action all that more exciting.  Also, the classic refusal of the call to adventure (figuratively and literally) reminded me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and that's always good.

The action was even better than it otherwise would have been because of the big villanous reveal.  Confession: Mysterio was an utter mystery to me before this movie, and like the Vulture, I think the MCU hit it out of the park.  That trippy illusion sequence alone was worth the price of admission.

Mysterio in the second act: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0k92RSxYq0

And of my God, that end credits scene really hit me hard.  I thought that "execute them all" line was pretty strange, and could easily be taken out of context, and it was!

I consider myself a decently skeptical guy, but Mysterio would have totally fooled me right to the very end.  Does SHIELD have a PR division?  Cause capes should definitely have a go-between for exactly this kind of situation.[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 15, 2019, 01:12:40 PM
Yes.  But per SJW ... soon people will be required to watch "woke" propaganda.  Our children already are in GB and the US.  Neither the Left nor the Right love freedom, they both lover power and tyranny.
I don't care about what the following think:

SJWs
Antifas
Neonazis
Catholics
Dewayne Gish
Ken Ham

(list goes on for quite a while)
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 15, 2019, 03:07:11 PM
I don't care about what the following think:

SJWs
Antifas
Neonazis
Catholics
Dewayne Gish
Ken Ham

(list goes on for quite a while)

That is why we keep guns.  But if the IRS is hired to enforce SJW, you will obey (see Obamacare).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 15, 2019, 08:03:45 PM
That is why we keep guns.  But if the IRS is hired to enforce SJW, you will obey (see Obamacare).
"The 2nd Amendment won't be real until people use guns to protect themselves from the IRS."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 16, 2019, 11:04:20 AM
"The 2nd Amendment won't be real until people use guns to protect themselves from the IRS."

Bad idea.  Even Dick Cheney is afraid of the IRS.  And as I recall a political cartoon, Darth Vader is afraid of Dick Cheney ;-)  IRS is only doing what the Congress orders them to do.  "No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session." - Gideon Tucker 1866

I only have gun for a true emergency ... home invasion with no other way out.  And certainly never against government people.  No knock raids, in plainclothes ... not the best idea.  I will simply have to guess who they are.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

I worry that you have a gun at all.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 17, 2019, 07:22:53 AM
I worry that you have a gun at all.

I worry that you have a spork.  Are you old enough to only eat protein shakes? ;-)

I am not claiming I am particularly competent with guns, though I did get training from my dad.  I usually fantasize using much more brutal weapons that lead to a much slower death.  How about making the home intruder read my selection of favorite Unbeliever posts?  Too drole?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 17, 2019, 07:34:16 AM
I worry that you have a spork.  Are you old enough to only eat protein shakes? ;-)

I am not claiming I am particularly competent with guns, though I did get training from my dad.  I usually fantasize using much more brutal weapons that lead to a much slower death.  How about making the home intruder read my selection of favorite Unbeliever posts?  Too drole?
You're more likely to shoot someone who lives there, like yourself, than an intruder. You don't need a gun to intimidate an intruder. I have a large collection of edged weapons that would make an intruder beg to just be shot.

Look, you're in the home a lot. Other residents, if any, are in the home at lot. The gun is in the home a lot. Intruders are rare. Figure the odds.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 17, 2019, 11:00:36 AM
You're more likely to shoot someone who lives there, like yourself, than an intruder. You don't need a gun to intimidate an intruder. I have a large collection of edged weapons that would make an intruder beg to just be shot.

Look, you're in the home a lot. Other residents, if any, are in the home at lot. The gun is in the home a lot. Intruders are rare. Figure the odds.

A responsible owner will keep the gun locked away to prevent such accidents. My dad has had one for years, but he never told me where he had it hidden. I only saw it recently. But yeah, the chances of someone breaking into your home while you're there are pretty slim. Most thieves would try to get in while you're away at work, or on vacation. It doesn't matter if you have a gun or not when that happens.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 17, 2019, 12:00:41 PM
A responsible owner will keep the gun locked away to prevent such accidents. My dad has had one for years, but he never told me where he had it hidden. I only saw it recently. But yeah, the chances of someone breaking into your home while you're there are pretty slim. Most thieves would try to get in while you're away at work, or on vacation. It doesn't matter if you have a gun or not when that happens.
The police will tell you that night burglars are the most dangerous, because they are confident someone will be home, so they're looking for a confrontation.

Your Dad is the rare responsible gun owner. Kudos!

Having a gun for self-protection means it isn't stored safely. Kids die like that. 
PZ Myers