News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 11, 2019, 11:10:38 PM
I saw that earlier (the review, not the movie). It sounds like it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It's funny. A few years ago, I would have loved a movie like this, but now I'm tired of Disney remaking every single classic animated film in their library. They all do pretty much the same thing. Copy/paste the script and the music, make a few weird, random changes, and CGI basically everything. The Lion King was an especially weird choice when you think about it. Sure, the animals and environments look photorealistic, and that is very impressive, but the characters lack the facial expressions that were possible in the animated version. Real lions don't have expressive faces like humans do, so these photorealistic characters just don't leave as much of an impact in the movie's emotional moments.

Thing being they could have easily given the characters the more expressive faces and animations, made it more towards the cartoon style of something like tangled or frozen.
I mean, weird thing to draw attention to, but the animals in the animated original didn't have buttholes or genitalia, because you know they were cartoon characters and you didn't draw to that because they were animated characters. But by making them look so photorealistic here, to it almost looking like a nature documentary, it just looks uncanny having these animals without, you know, those parts.

This is the fault of CGI, I dunno who at disney, a company based on cartoon characters, thought photorealistic interpretations of their characters would be the way to go.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

Just watched 'thor: ragnarok'.
i liked it. Good. Funny. good action. good pacing.
I will say the joke of: "Hero delivers epic line and moves to do something epic only to have it fail and make him look like a fool." Gets a tad overplayed here.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

Wasn't a fan of thor ragnarok. Reason being I grew up on several comic books including Thor comics, so I've had for the longest time the concept in my head of how thor should be.

and for what its worth they tried to make thor this character in the first two thor movies, both of which didn't hit the mark as well as say iron man or captain america. Though for me I didn't care because it felt like a proper homage to the character I grew up on.

Ragnarok felt like a parody of the character, which if it was outright said to be that I would have probably enjoyed it, but they tried to make the events of it, thors fall from grace, Hela, the destruction of asgard, all played for laughs, I just didn't feel invested in it given the tone it went for, and yet people found this more engaging then the other two movies just seemed off to me.

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 11, 2019, 11:10:38 PM
I saw that earlier (the review, not the movie). It sounds like it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It's funny. A few years ago, I would have loved a movie like this, but now I'm tired of Disney remaking every single classic animated film in their library. They all do pretty much the same thing. Copy/paste the script and the music, make a few weird, random changes, and CGI basically everything. The Lion King was an especially weird choice when you think about it. Sure, the animals and environments look photorealistic, and that is very impressive, but the characters lack the facial expressions that were possible in the animated version. Real lions don't have expressive faces like humans do, so these photorealistic characters just don't leave as much of an impact in the movie's emotional moments.

Basically my opinion on the remakes as well. That said, the Mulan remake looks extremely promising, and I hope they keep a serious tone (like it is portrayed in China) for most of the movie. However, being Disney... eh....

QuoteJust watched 'thor: ragnarok'.
i liked it. Good. Funny. good action. good pacing.
I will say the joke of: "Hero delivers epic line and moves to do something epic only to have it fail and make him look like a fool." Gets a tad overplayed here.

Maybe a little overplayed, but I would still say it's top 3-5 Marvel movies to me... but Guardians of the Galaxy is probably my number one and the sequel probably number 4 for me, so that shouldn't be too surprising. It's basically just GotG with Thor, and I am okay with that. His movies and character were... okay... but extremely formulaic and forgettable before that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 12, 2019, 07:30:00 PM
Basically my opinion on the remakes as well. That said, the Mulan remake looks extremely promising, and I hope they keep a serious tone (like it is portrayed in China) for most of the movie. However, being Disney... eh....

That wasn't the overall tone of the original. mulan had funny moments in it, but it also had serious moments, like her finding the village wiped out by the huns, or thinking she was going to be beheaded by her captain.
On the one hand by making mulan into just an overly serious movie they will take out some of the elements that made the original charming, the comedy as a break from the serious nature of war.
But then again if they kept the exact tone it would suffer the same issue as other remakes of being just a pointless cash-grab without anything to make it stand out from the original.

however if I wanted to see an over the top kung fu movie, i'd just rewatch crouching tiger hidden dragon.

QuoteMaybe a little overplayed, but I would still say it's top 3-5 Marvel movies to me... but Guardians of the Galaxy is probably my number one and the sequel probably number 4 for me, so that shouldn't be too surprising. It's basically just GotG with Thor, and I am okay with that. His movies and character were... okay... but extremely formulaic and forgettable before that.

thats exactly what ragnarok felt like. And I loved the guardians of the galaxy movies too, mostly because the tone they went for with their movies were like that from the start. It felt jarring for thor, an altogether serious character, get shifted into the GotG style of humor.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 12, 2019, 09:21:15 PMIt felt jarring for thor, an altogether serious character, get shifted into the GotG style of humor.
This.  It works for GotG because that's an ensemble cast of full of wacky alien characters (a recurring gag is misunderstanding an Earth reference).  Thor telling a joke to a skeleton doesn't quite have the same punch.

This might be the reason why Thor started teaming up with the GotG - that way directors who want to go the jokey route with Thor have a much more fitting venue for it.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 12, 2019, 10:00:44 PM
This.  It works for GotG because that's an ensemble cast of full of wacky alien characters (a recurring gag is misunderstanding an Earth reference).  Thor telling a joke to a skeleton doesn't quite have the same punch.

This might be the reason why Thor started teaming up with the GotG - that way directors who want to go the jokey route with Thor have a much more fitting venue for it.

I guess. I never found it too jarring... starting with the first Avengers movie, he had a very clear comedic side to him delivered in quick little one-liners. I just imagine it as someone becoming less concerned with his social status and more someone who is just embracing themselves and doing whatever they want (maybe too much come the final Avengers movie...).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 12, 2019, 10:00:44 PM

maybe, though when you look at how he was in infinity war, they went back to making him this serious character, now with the baggage of having lost everything. Infact the shift from the jokey tone in ragnarok to suddenly being dark and foreboding in infinity war with the deaths of the asgardians, death of loki and thors defeat to thanos, it felt like they were trying to ignore the previous movies tone.

Only to Then in endgame go right back to him being a character played for laughs with fat thor, until the end of the movie where he gets his shit together, talks to his mom in the past and then feels like how he was in the first thor movie again.

there just doesn't seem to be any consistent tone for thor, and thats what I find off-putting.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on July 12, 2019, 10:13:35 PM
I guess. I never found it too jarring... starting with the first Avengers movie, he had a very clear comedic side to him delivered in quick little one-liners.
To an extent, yes.  But he wasn't a goofball like in Ragnarok.

*edit - rewatching some scenes from the Avengers, Thor was hella serious in them.  Like almost Stannis-level serious.  I don't even remember his jokes in Avengers, to be perfectly honest.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 12, 2019, 10:21:48 PM
To an extent, yes.  But he wasn't a goofball like in Ragnarok.

*edit - rewatching some scenes from the Avengers, Thor was hella serious in them.  Like almost Stannis-level serious.  I don't even remember his jokes in Avengers, to be perfectly honest.

"He [Loki] is my brother!"

"He killed hundreds of Shield agents."

"...He was adopted."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

'Thor, report on hulk.'

'the gates of hell are filled with the screams of his victims.'

Sees frustrated banner.

'but not the screams of the dead, of course. No no: screams of the wounded... Mainly whimpering... A great deal of complaining and tales of sprained deltoids and gout.'

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

"He's adopted"

That was a good one.  Thor's only really good one.  The rest of them were just so forgettable.

Meanwhile, Hulk had "puny god" (which got a smirk out of me but had people around me in hysterics and stands out as the most memorable joke of the film) and Tony Stark had a ton of witty comebacks.

All in all, Thor definitely did not stand out as the jokester of the group.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2019, 06:44:09 AM
"He's adopted"
That line startled me, because it was almost out of character for Thor.

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2019, 06:44:09 AM
All in all, Thor definitely did not stand out as the jokester of the group.
Not many funny lines, but I laughed at him a lot.  From the very start, he was often the focal point of jokes, like Jane Foster running him over with her car twice.  He frequently embarrassed himself, or was setting up lines for everyone else. 

Thor: "Who convinced you, Sif, that a woman could be a great Warrior?"
Sif:  "I did."
Thor: Er, yes... But I supported you."

Blackleaf

I didn't see Dark Phoenix because...well it looked like garbage, like most of the other X-Men movies. But apparently, Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel had basically the same plot. It seems there's a reason for that. Both Dark Phoenix and Captain Marvel were based on the same source material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ial6_iWZ8
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I think the last movie I saw is now free on cable...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!