Author Topic: Rate the latest movie you've seen.  (Read 375664 times)

Offline Shiranu

Re: Rate the latest movie you've seen.
« Reply #4395 on: July 08, 2019, 07:43:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did I quote you?

No, but you generally don't quote anyone when you have a borderline Pavlovian urge to come in here and let us know when there is a Marvel movie discussion happening just how stupid you find comic book movies.
Quod est inferius, est sicut quod est superius.
Et quod est superius, est sicut quod est inferius.

« Reply #4396 on: July 08, 2019, 11:06:46 AM »
No, but you generally don't quote anyone when you have a borderline Pavlovian urge to come in here and let us know when there is a Marvel movie discussion happening just how stupid you find comic book movies.
LOL. That butt must hurt 3000.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Online Hydra009

« Reply #4397 on: July 08, 2019, 01:25:49 PM »

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #4398 on: July 08, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »
Baruch is a theologist and strong historical study, he's got info dating back several thousand years.

That's not historical study. That's how Jewish theologists in ancient world thought they 'read the future events' through Torah. :) Seriously, that's what he is trying to do. e: I mean the 'method'.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:35:43 PM by drunkenshoe »
'the wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. so while Δ± was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun.’ - lu-tze

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4399 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
That's not historical study. That's how Jewish theologists in ancient world thought they 'read the future events' through Torah. :) Seriously, that's what he is trying to do. e: I mean the 'method'.

History rhymes.  In Hebrew only ;-)
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #4400 on: July 08, 2019, 04:02:03 PM »
LOL, Baruch. Sigh.
'the wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. so while Δ± was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun.’ - lu-tze

Offline Baruch

« Reply #4401 on: July 08, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
LOL, Baruch. Sigh.

OK, in Turkish too ;-)
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Online Hydra009

« Reply #4402 on: July 09, 2019, 06:54:41 PM »
I started talking movies with a coworker and we actually have a shared love of scifi/action movies.

She also liked Blair Witch 2, which blew me away.

Me:  "Critics hated that movie.  I think it was secretly brilliant, a cautionary tale on popular media and how fan obsession can affect people in negative-"

Her: "I also like Twilight and the Fast and the Furious movies."

Me: 

« Reply #4403 on: July 10, 2019, 06:46:57 AM »
Finally saw "How Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World". Perfect capper for the trilogy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

« Reply #4404 on: July 11, 2019, 01:21:40 PM »
Just found out an interesting bit of trivia about the original Matrix film. The directors, then known as the Wachowski Brothers, later came out as transgender. Similarly, the character Switch was originally going to have a different gender in the Matrix, contrasting the gender they identified with with their biological sex. For one reason or another, however, this character trait was scrapped, and she just became the character who wears white. My guess is because it was the 90s, having a transgender character was considered too risky, so the Wachowskis were pressured to change the character.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

« Reply #4405 on: July 11, 2019, 04:38:22 PM »
Jupiter Offending wasn't their best work.
PZ Myers

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #4406 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
Just found out an interesting bit of trivia about the original Matrix film. The directors, then known as the Wachowski Brothers, later came out as transgender. Similarly, the character Switch was originally going to have a different gender in the Matrix, contrasting the gender they identified with with their biological sex. For one reason or another, however, this character trait was scrapped, and she just became the character who wears white. My guess is because it was the 90s, having a transgender character was considered too risky, so the Wachowskis were pressured to change the character.

I want to say "Movies With Mikey" did an episode on the deeper meanings in the Matrix, and it's amazing.
Quod est inferius, est sicut quod est superius.
Et quod est superius, est sicut quod est inferius.

Online Munch

« Reply #4407 on: July 11, 2019, 08:00:13 PM »

summery, its a 'pretty' but shallow cash grab with none of the personality of the original.

I love stuckmanns reviews, he's always given a down to earth analysis of the movies he watches.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:03:15 PM by Munch »
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

« Reply #4408 on: July 11, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »

summery, its a 'pretty' but shallow cash grab with none of the personality of the original.

I love stuckmanns reviews, he's always given a down to earth analysis of the movies he watches.

I saw that earlier (the review, not the movie). It sounds like it was pretty much exactly what I was expecting. It's funny. A few years ago, I would have loved a movie like this, but now I'm tired of Disney remaking every single classic animated film in their library. They all do pretty much the same thing. Copy/paste the script and the music, make a few weird, random changes, and CGI basically everything. The Lion King was an especially weird choice when you think about it. Sure, the animals and environments look photorealistic, and that is very impressive, but the characters lack the facial expressions that were possible in the animated version. Real lions don't have expressive faces like humans do, so these photorealistic characters just don't leave as much of an impact in the movie's emotional moments.
--Fulke Greville

« Reply #4409 on: July 11, 2019, 11:17:52 PM »
I want to say "Movies With Mikey" did an episode on the deeper meanings in the Matrix, and it's amazing.

I got this from a video from New Rockstars, but I might check Mikey out. It's kinda overwhelming how much symbolism is hidden in the movie. Bible references everywhere.
--Fulke Greville

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk