News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl9JS8-gnWQ

This...actually looks pretty good. I wasn't sure after the teaser or the first official trailer, but this second trailer has me sold.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Godzilla: King Of The Monsters is a solid 8/10 from me. You won't find the meaning of life in this movie, but you will be thoroughly entertained. I'd recommend re-watching Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island before you go see it, as there are some blink-and-you'll-miss-it callbacks to those films.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 30, 2019, 10:46:14 PM
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters is a solid 8/10 from me. You won't find the meaning of life in this movie, but you will be thoroughly entertained. I'd recommend re-watching Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island before you go see it, as there are some blink-and-you'll-miss-it callbacks to those films.
I have a 9:45 AM ticket for this. (Nobody's surprised I'm going, right?)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 31, 2019, 08:37:56 AM
I have a 9:45 AM ticket for this. (Nobody's surprised I'm going, right?)

So TELL us already!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 02:39:24 PM
So TELL us already!

He can't … he can only make a roar with his radioactive breath!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

The new Godzilla is on my list -- the director is a local, who made not one, but two of the very few horror movies I actually liked.  They ran the trailer last Friday at the showing of the original 'Godzilla King of the Monsters' (not the ORIGINAL original, the one with Raymond Burr spliced in).

Alas, but for a showing of Jaws this summer as part of the CAPA Summer Movie Series, that was Fritz the Nite Owl's last show in Columbus.  He's 84 now, and Columbus venues are too expensive.  He'll still be doing midnight movies at regional theaters, though.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2019, 02:39:24 PM
So TELL us already!
I was broken hearted in '98. I thought .... somebody ... had killed the Big G. Since then I've had three new movie, if you could the Fukushima allegory, and the new franchise has kicked butt. It's not Shakespeare, thankfully, it's daikaiju kick names and taking ass.

I'm seeing it again tomorrow with Boss Lady.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on June 01, 2019, 04:49:16 AM
The new Godzilla is on my list -- the director is a local, who made not one, but two of the very few horror movies I actually liked.  They ran the trailer last Friday at the showing of the original 'Godzilla King of the Monsters' (not the ORIGINAL original, the one with Raymond Burr spliced in).
"Godzilla: King of Monsters" is the Burr cut, with only ~45 minutes of the original left. It's embarrassing.

Look for "Gojira" if you want to see the original. For a double feature find "Godzilla Raids Again" (Japanese original, not US theatrical release), the second movie in the Toho franchise. Big G fights Anguirus. The meme scene of Godzilla fighting another big monster at the Japanese Capital Building comes from this movie. It was rushed into release six months after they realized they had a hit in the first one. It's the original "big thing fights big thing" in the Gojira-verse.

(All above available on Amazon.)
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2019, 06:08:01 AM
"Godzilla: King of Monsters" is the Burr cut, with only ~45 minutes of the original left. It's embarrassing.

Look for "Gojira" if you want to see the original. For a double feature find "Godzilla Raids Again" (Japanese original, not US theatrical release), the second movie in the Toho franchise. Big G fights Anguirus. The meme scene of Godzilla fighting another big monster at the Japanese Capital Building comes from this movie. It was rushed into release six months after they realized they had a hit in the first one. It's the original "big thing fights big thing" in the Gojira-verse.

(All above available on Amazon.)
I'd recommend the Criterion Collection's blu-ray of the original, also available on Amazon and here. It includes the original and the Raymond Burr cut with a very insightful commentary track on both (the commentator assumes you watch them in that order). It also has a short documentary called The Unluckiest Dragon, which details the incident with the Lucky Dragon Number 5 and how it influenced the final cut and audience reception of Gojira. I recommend watching everything in this order: the original cut, the Burr cut, the documentary, the original with commentary, and then finally Burr with commentary.

Hydra009

I have a question for those who have seen the latest Godzilla:

I heard that a lot of the time, the big fights are interrupted by human characters.  I've always been kinda miffed by that (the humans aren't exactly the main draw of these films) but I understand that it's a LOT cheaper to film humans than render a CGI monster battle.

Are there too many interruptions?  Or is it tolerable?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 01, 2019, 11:07:33 PM
I have a question for those who have seen the latest Godzilla:

I heard that a lot of the time, the big fights are interrupted by human characters.  I've always been kinda miffed by that (the humans aren't exactly the main draw of these films) but I understand that it's a LOT cheaper to film humans than render a CGI monster battle.

Are there too many interruptions?  Or is it tolerable?
It had the standard interruptions you get in superhero movies to avoid the spectacle wearing out its welcome, but nothing nearly as bad as what Godzilla 2014 did. Like when Godzilla and Ghidorah collide in the middle of Boston, we cut away to a fighter pilot's face before turning back to see Godzilla and Ghidorah grappling. Then we cut to some humans on the ground doing their thing before panning up to see the two still grappling. It pretty much continues like this until Godzilla and Ghidorah start doing something more interesting than pushing each other, at which point we get a nice long shot of [REDACTED].

tl;dr version is: long shots when interesting shit's going down, cut away to human perspective when the action slows down, then back to long shots when things pick up again.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Blackleaf

The new Sonic design is looking pretty good.

[Spoiler]https://youtu.be/yBexoB2bBVU[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I see the same thing that's infected Garfield has gotten to sonic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3Kh5N_fuI&t=42s

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2019, 06:08:01 AM
I have seen the original original.  It's terrific.  So much better than the Burr-invaded version.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan