News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 17, 2019, 08:03:59 PM
Then that would be misrepresentation and that's messed up.

I have no problem with art.  I have no problem with "high" art or "low" art.  I have a problem with Transformers 8: Decepticon Ragnarok With a Vengeance presented as if it's amazing storytelling.

well yeah, i've never even been to see any transformers movies, except the 1986 animated movie when I was a kid. I like any variety of movie from action to drama to horror to romance to animated to comedy, but doesn't mean I should just accept any old shlock from these categorizes. I am a cynic after all and will look at things with a critical eye on if its worth my time and money to see it. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2019, 08:18:08 PM
Ah, so differing opinions don't count?

Considering I am now explicitly stating for the second time that I agree with your basic premise to an extent, sure, why not.

I don't have a problem with a differing opinion on how art should be interpreted or received, I just have a problem with one sentence responses that act high-and-mighty without actually saying anything new. Particularly when they are judging people for talking about what the thread is literally about.

It was annoying when people like pr did it, and it's annoying now.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Your impressions of my posts are internal in origin.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 18, 2019, 12:40:35 PM
Shazam

Shashit.

You were expecting maybe the real Captain Marvel?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I don't know if y'all watch Kimmel, but this is pretty funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYjs5RnlRo

But I wish Jimmy would have told us what the #1 answer was on that last question!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Blackleaf

Saw Detective Pikachu last evening. I had heard mixed reviews about the movie, so I had my expectations in check. Reviewers said that the lead (Tim Goodman, not Pikachu) was kind of annoying, that the pacing was inconsistent, and that it was basically just a "meh" kind of movie. After seeing it for myself, I don't see what they were on about. I loved the movie.

Plot: Anyone can instantly recognize who the villain of the movie is going to be. It is a bit predictable there. However, the twists were genuinely surprising to me, and more than made up for the villain.

Visuals: Very nice. I don't know why, but the Pokemon looked better in the movie than they did in the trailer. I don't know if they improved on the CGI before release, if the trailer just didn't pick the best parts to show off, or if it's just that the designs fit the world around them. I wonder if they used practical effects for some of the Pokemon, particularly the Snubbull, because it was very convincing at times. There was one moment where the CGI did feel off, when it was used for the human characters, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

Humor: Ryan Reynolds is great in this movie. Critics said he carried the movie, but I wouldn't go that far. Somehow he managed to take the weird idea of a talking Pikachu and make it work, and that's pretty impressive. While the movie is suitable for kids, there are some innuendoes here and there for those old enough to pick up on them.

Overall: Would recommend if you're a Pokemon fan. While this movie doesn't leave much room for a sequel, I do hope this will be the start of a line of live action Pokemon movies. Maybe the next one could be based on the Pokemon Adventures manga?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27558948/hellboy-reboot-us-box-office-disastrous-total/

On the one hand I want to say its a shame, I love hellboy as a character and his comics, and loved the Ron perlman movies and his portrayal, so having the hellboy franchise revived so more people could discover the character would have been a plus.

On the other hand, I'm glad it failed, since I was someone hoping for the third Ron perlman hellboy, and just wasn't on board with this remake with this ugly as sin lemon faced take on the character, instead of a third sequal.

If they try and reboot it again in a few years time I just hope they learn from this one (and cast someone who can actually pull off the character better again)

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 19, 2019, 02:44:03 AM
Plot: Anyone can instantly recognize who the villain of the movie is going to be. It is a bit predictable there. However, the twists were genuinely surprising to me, and more than made up for the villain.
That's a pretty common failing.  I can barely remember the last movie I've seen where the villain wasn't immediately obvious.  Fight Club, I think.  Man, it's been a while.

aitm

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 23, 2019, 10:20:42 AM
Fight Club, I think.  Man, it's been a while.

WTF dude? Rule No 1!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avyqEQD_5Ok

okay, i mean I knew this was coming and it had to happen. I knew hugh Jackman was never going to reprise his role, and Logan was an end to it, so expected this to happen them choosing a new actor for when the x-men joins the MCU.

so far, I don't really have much opinion on their choice, as honestly I've not seen very many movies with Charlie Hunnam in it that stood out to me. However I was a fan of the american take on Queer as Folk back in the early 2000s, where he looked like this.

I'm wondering now if when seeing him playing Wolverine, am I going to be able to escape the image of him rimming a guy on camera like in queer as folk, and now imagining wolverine doing the same.

That said, people didn't know what to make of an Australian actor playing the role of wolverine back in the early 2000s, so maybe same thing here?

He's gonna have to work out to get in the same kind of shape Jackman did.

Still, best wait and see. I doubt I'm going to ever imagine anyone else being Wolverine as perfectly as hugh jackman, but just like batman, there needs to be a chance for other actors to play iconic roles.

aitm

yeah...I understand what rimming is, but have never seen it and won't be googling it any time soon but...yeah, that would probably play heavily into my perception of the actors role.

Munch

Quote from: aitm on May 23, 2019, 09:33:02 PM
yeah...I understand what rimming is, but have never seen it and won't be googling it any time soon but...yeah, that would probably play heavily into my perception of the actors role.

I mean, if he's any kind of a good actor, it won't matter, because he'd be able to take on whatever role and doesn't matter what came before. (unless your will smith)

After all they turned this:

into this:

so its possible to turn a guy who played a twink in QAF into a butch masculine figure like wolverine.

That said, casting choices matter, I loved Ron Perlman was hellboy, and was just as hopeful the new guy, David Harbour, could capture the same lighting in a bottle perlman did.. and we know how they turned out -_-

Edit: OKAY I just thought of it, Wolverime!

trdsf

Going to see the original Godzilla tomorrow night, hosted by local late night movie legend Fritz the Nite Owl.  Is it in bad taste that we're going to a sushi joint before the movie, and then to the Asian Festival the following day?  XD

Meanwhile, I have found the next movie I want to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6gsLnAMOkY
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

They already tried that with Lincoln's corpse ;-(  Nobody would care about James Buchanan, except that he was our first confirmed bachelor President aka gay.

The original Godzilla is so good, particularly since nothing like it came before ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrj1ymJzmo

Like seeing the original Frankenstein with Boris Karloff (only saw it once).

For the Japanese, Godzilla actually has meaning ... it is America.  And it came out right after Castle Bravo (biggest US H bomb).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.