News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2019, 07:25:20 AM
It's a movie.

It's also a product and art. It shouldn't be shocking for people to expect quality from those things.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 17, 2019, 05:39:30 AM
Its not really about hating CGI. Think about CGI like chocolate, it can be delicious and when effort is put in it can have rich quality and taste. But chocolate can also have bad quality, and eating to much eventually makes you sick or gives you the shits.
That's CGI, its better when used effectively and with quality, then overusing it and getting sick of it.
I generally agree, though I don't think the problem is actually overuse, but poor use.  I mean, it's possible to have a great movie that's all CGI and a terrible one with virtually no CGI.  CGI isn't the problem, it's how it's used.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 17, 2019, 07:37:22 AM
It's also a product and art. It shouldn't be shocking for people to expect quality from those things.
It's also aimed at the great unwashed. They don't care about quality, they just want to be entertained.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2019, 08:16:02 AM
It's also aimed at the great unwashed.
So?

Are you implying that art need not be good if it is intended for the general public?

Munch

It's also aimed at the great unwashed. They don't care about quality, they just want to be entertained.

people have standards and want quality, and everyone had there own tastes in what they find appealing. I would sooner spend my day in a classical art gallery like the victora and albert museum then spending it in a modern art gallery like the tate modern.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 17, 2019, 09:12:57 AM
So?

Are you implying that art need not be good if it is intended for the general public?
No, I'm saying that expecting art from Whollyweird will make one very, very frustrated.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on May 17, 2019, 09:21:05 AM
people have standards and want quality, and everyone had there own tastes in what they find appealing. I would sooner spend my day in a classical art gallery like the victora and albert museum then spending it in a modern art gallery like the tate modern.
Enjoy.
PZ Myers

Baruch

You say that as if that is a bad thing.  Are you an Oxford toff?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

This is a thread specifically dedicated to discussing and criticizing movies and we are discussing and criticizing movies and the process of making them. By all means I would be happy to debate the merit of art as entertainment vs art as something more, but that's not really what's happening.

I have even agreed that there is nothing inherently wrong with "basic" art that is only really there, and clearly there, to be an entertaining popcorn flick, and I would assume Hydra and Munch feel roughly the same way.

It just feels odd to come into a thread literally dedicated to discussing movies and then seem to be aghast that people are discussing movies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 17, 2019, 05:38:28 PMI have even agreed that there is nothing inherently wrong with "basic" art that is only really there, and clearly there, to be an entertaining popcorn flick, and I would assume Hydra and Munch feel roughly the same way.
Absolutely.  So long as they don't pretend to be something they're not, I have no problem with that.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 17, 2019, 07:00:59 PM
Absolutely.  So long as they don't pretend to be something they're not, I have no problem with that.

well, what are we pretending their not?

Actually think I see what your asking. whatever constitutes as basic art, everyone has their own tastes and interests so its an open book.

When it comes to the subject of movies, I value presentation and innovation. Like having generic cgi animal kids movie no:247 doesn't count as anything special, however seeing something like stop motion animation and the painstaking work going into that I find a lot of value in.

In less animated movie sense,  a well presented movie with good visuals that draws you in is what anyone should expect to be given. visuals, lighting, staging, makeup, costume, these are all classic things any movie maker should understand and going back to the dawn of film making or even stage acting. I do think when everything is being done on a computer screen, it loses some of that innovation and attention to detail.
Same time if film makers can use CGi as a tool and blend it seamlessness into a movie, then they are doing their jobs right.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 17, 2019, 07:44:19 PM
well, what are we pretending their not?
Then that would be misrepresentation and that's messed up.

I have no problem with art.  I have no problem with "high" art or "low" art.  I have a problem with Transformers 8: Decepticon Ragnarok With a Vengeance presented as if it's amazing storytelling.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 17, 2019, 05:38:28 PM
This is a thread specifically dedicated to discussing and criticizing movies and we are discussing and criticizing movies and the process of making them. By all means I would be happy to debate the merit of art as entertainment vs art as something more, but that's not really what's happening.

I have even agreed that there is nothing inherently wrong with "basic" art that is only really there, and clearly there, to be an entertaining popcorn flick, and I would assume Hydra and Munch feel roughly the same way.

It just feels odd to come into a thread literally dedicated to discussing movies and then seem to be aghast that people are discussing movies.
Ah, so differing opinions don't count?
PZ Myers