Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 15, 2019, 04:58:07 PM
Life of Pi.

It was pretty damn good. I can see why it won prizes.
Visually: 10
Plot: 2
Making sense: 0
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fZGcAmXWyM

interesting look at the problem with cgi today.

my personal take is, there is so much cgi now, its being used in so much now, that it can be produced without as much thought or effort as say 10-20 years ago.
Back then, they had to work hard to make CGI creations blend into the world they were in, like the dinosaurs in Jurassic park, or gollum in lord of the rings, they hard to work hard to make these things meld into the film and give them weight. Nowadays, they just make everything around the characters in cgi, and it loses that effort and attention to details.

This is the same issue I see with animation. for the longest time animation was hand drawn and done by cells of animators checking and rechecking what they drew to make sure things lined up perfectly. These days animators use things like flash animation to process things though a computer to animate and render everything. Its far less painstaking as hand drawn, and because it loses that extra effort, most modern none anime cartoons (mostly western cartoons) are left seeming, well more fluid, a lot less defined or unique, or just bland to look at. Many modern western cartoons not in cgi all seem to use the same art style, to the point the characters from different shows and companies all look similar.

This is just a sign of the times in how lazy people are in such industries. When I think of some of the beautiful animated movies coming from japan, who still use traditional animation styles even when using computers to help with it, it just shows the difference in dedication to the format.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Do the final battle in Endgame without CGI.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2019, 08:32:34 PM

point wasn't to dis on all cgi, watch the video. The point is when its being use so overabundantly in everything, it becomes a lazy tool so less quality and effort goes into production. 

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2019, 08:32:34 PM

I'm not sure the Avengers series would have lost much without the final battle, tbh.

Of course it is visually pleasing, but it didn't really add anything to the plot. The world of art is not fundamentally changed because of the inclusion of it, and despite the thousands of CGI baddies and cannon fodder... they had exactly zero influence of the main characters. They could have been leaves falling in the background and been as relevant to the plot.

The point of that being that visual media is increasingly becoming CGI for the sake of it rather than CGI to fundamentally influence the plot, either through things like giving a relevant character fundamental powers (for example, Dr. Strange would be a very hard character to sell with just practical effects while Captain, Thor, even to an extent Iron Man and the Hulk could be entertaining with limited or no CGI) or creating worlds that simply wouldn't be possible with regular props.

If you view movies as just popcorn-entertainers, and that's a perfectly valid way to view movies, that's fine. But it is often used as a crutch in place of good writing, which is a shame.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on May 15, 2019, 09:15:19 PMThe point of that being that visual media is increasingly becoming CGI for the sake of it rather than CGI to fundamentally influence the plot, either through things like giving a relevant character fundamental powers (for example, Dr. Strange would be a very hard character to sell with just practical effects while Captain, Thor, even to an extent Iron Man and the Hulk could be entertaining with limited or no CGI) or creating worlds that simply wouldn't be possible with regular props.

If you view movies as just popcorn-entertainers, and that's a perfectly valid way to view movies, that's fine. But it is often used as a crutch in place of good writing, which is a shame.
CGI is a tool like anything else.  It's meant to give better visuals to complement a story's writing, not replace it.  Babylon 5 (an early CGI adopter) understood this.  Imo, the MCU largely understands this.  But unfortunately, there are directors out there who think that good visuals alone are enough to carry a film and sadly, their folly gets rewarded more often than punished.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 15, 2019, 07:15:44 PM
Visually: 10
Plot: 2
Making sense: 0

I think it was intended to leave the story uncertain.  I personally like the idea as shown.  2 desperate critters surviving...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

I watched Thor: Ragnarok last week.  The plot was wrong according to Norse mythology, but it was very well done as a movie.

I suppose now I can rent Infinity and End...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbjfAQFxmio&t=338s

interesting views.

part 1 summery: why is it sports players have the habit of thanking god when they win, but when they lose blame it on themselves. If god was responsible for them winning, then wouldn't god then be responsible for them losing and letting the other team win, in which case blaming themselves for losing seems redundant if an all powerful entity got the other team to win.
To do this would cast god in a negative light, so they have to come up with an excuse for why they lost, it couldn't be the 'almighty' to blame for it, must be something else.

it boiled down to only believing in something when its convenient to do so. Its convenient to believe in god when things are going their way, but when not, its can't be gods fault, because it would ruin the perfect imagine of the sky daddy if they questioned it.

part 2 uses the same outlook in regards to strong female characters in movies, and certain groups claiming anyone who doesn't automatically love these strong female leads must be a misogamist. and yet its been shown so often people who actually really like strong female leads in movies, are not people who dislike these other 'strong female leads' because their women, but just because their awful characters.

Men liking characters like ripley, sarah conner, princess leia, Clarice Starling, the bride, and yet dislike characters like rey or captain marvel aren't misogynists because they happen to hate a couple roles for female actors, its the actors or characters themselves they just happen to dislike.

and yet the people calling them misogynists can't factor anything outside of the fact characters like rey or captain marvel are women, so any criticism of them, rather then questioning if theres a good reason why people are doing this, instead they default to 'nope, its not them thats the problem, men just hate them cause they hate women!"

This is where the mindset of a religious people and curtain social groups are similar in nature, it really boils down to that bubble people exist in regardless of the religious, social or political ideology, having it popped is to scary to face thinking outside it, like in the case of maybe god is a flawed character, just like maybe people just don't like certain characters in movies because their just not that good, despite beliefs they are perfect by certain demographics.

i'm on the side of this, since I've got my roster of fav movie heroines myself, I don't dislike any character based on race or gender. I dislike them because of unlikable characterization or because the particular actor playing the role it just unlikable in real life.

Shiranu

Ah, the nerd-rage over Paterson (Twilight) being likely cast as Batman is music to my ears.

Dude's been doing alot of risky, indie, art-sy films since then... he is actually a very good actor. But, "HuRuR, TwIlIgHt Is AsS hE aSs!".

Baruch

I like women in general, particularly women actors of course (usually younger and prettier than average).  I don't care about their personal views, nor confuse them with the characters they play.  Beyond my daughter, my ex, and female coworkers/friends I cared about, their views simply don't matter to me.  Same goes for male coworkers/friends.  The recent controversy over Captain Marvel was a branding/marketing thing IMHO.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 16, 2019, 07:43:48 AM
I liked Avengers: Endgame, so... sure.
I'm referring to the "everybody hates CG so I hate CG" crowd.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 17, 2019, 04:49:51 AM
I'm referring to the "everybody hates CG so I hate CG" crowd.

Its not really about hating CGI. Think about CGI like chocolate, it can be delicious and when effort is put in it can have rich quality and taste. But chocolate can also have bad quality, and eating to much eventually makes you sick or gives you the shits.
That's CGI, its better when used effectively and with quality, then overusing it and getting sick of it.