Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 06, 2019, 10:37:47 AM
I never said they would stop making them
I could've sworn I put a sh- in that -ould.  *checks". Yep, there it is.  So, did you just not see that?  Or is the problem worse than that?  I'm trying to figure out where this failure to communicate is coming from.

QuoteI meant they won't capture lightning in a bottle again like they have with infinity war/endgame.
That's not contested.

Quoteyou overthinking this to much.
*winces at the linguistic redundancy of "overthinking too much" and the implications of the apparent dislike of "too much" thinking*

QuoteI simply make a point, I think they should die down the collective mcu universe now
I heard you the first time.

Quoteand not milk it like a cash cow else run the risk of things getting stale.
"milking it" is a rather subjective loaded term, don't you think?  No doubt 10 years ago, the prospect of Marvel coming out with 22 movies would face exactly that sort of charge.  Do you think Avengers 1-4 "milked it" too much?  How about the Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy movies?

And besides, who is truly a proponent of "milking it like a cash cow"?  You might as well ask when I began beating my wife.

QuoteAlso they simply won't have the level of grandiose going forward like they have with infinity war/endgame.
Maybe, maybe not.  Who knows?  If they followed your advice and retired the mcu, it would be impossible to know.

For the sake of argument, let's say the new movies *only* make a few hundred million at the box office.  Would that really be so bad?  Bad enough to throw in the towel?

Gawdzilla Sama

People will be going because it's in the MCU. This will be hard to kill. No impossible, of course, but if they don't do anything stupid...

For evidence I give you John Wayne.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 06, 2019, 05:26:30 PM
People will be going because it's in the MCU. This will be hard to kill. No impossible, of course, but if they don't do anything stupid...
They've had some underwhelming offerings, imo.  I didn't particularly like a few of the films.  But overall, their sales are up and up.  And I don't think most people really understand just how high the sales have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcf-W68VBSs

We're talking practically nothing to highest grossing franchise in 10 years.  That's a hell of a climb.  Endgame alone is the second-highest grossing film ever.  Just imagine what that graph would like like updated.

Obviously, this won't continue indefinitely, at some point it will plateau or decline.  But I dunno, I think there's such a market for superhero action films that there will be mcu offerings for decades.  Superhero movies will have their own niche just like horror and scifi-movies.  The sales might not be through the roof anymore, but they'll still get asses in seats.

What might really kill it is some sort of sea change that wipes out either comic books or Disney, but I don't see that realistically happening anytime soon.

Munch

the problem will come, when quantity overtakes quality. Or just when bad directors come in and botch up things that previous good directors made.

The DCEU is a fine example of this, just a bad director alone can screw over so much potential. zack snyder ruined the potential of not only one of DCs popular stories (batman vs superman) but what he did with justice league, and then having Joss Whedon and his tonal shift while trying to still give credence to snyder, just lead to a mess and a punch in the face of all justice league fans.

And yet, seeing how james wan managed to save aquaman, right now being the DCEUs highest grossing film, shows just having the right kind of director does make a difference.

But even then, its believed the DCEU can't be fully salvaged, and they are better off restarting the whole thing. I've been a marvel comics fan longer then a DC fan, but I wanted to see a good justice league movie, I like many of the DC heroes and want to see that franchise do better. But I'm content if they scrap it and start over.

And thats the point, if going forward marvel hires on bad directors on the level of zack snyder, and produces bad movies, then I have no problem wanting to see that end too. Not saying it would go that way, I'm just a natural skeptic in believing just because marvel is a popular as it is now, that it'll stay that way if it keeps making more movies within the MCU.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Oh, I have another poor prediction: Infinity War probably won't top Black Panther! (spoiler: they're at $2 billion and $1.3 billion respectively, so yes it *probably* will!)

These articles are like candy to me.  They come at you with the appearance of insider knowledge and mathematical rigor, and often, they're from trusted sources.  They really seem trustworthy.  But in reality, so much is unknown that it's pretty much anyone's guess.  So articles like this often get things wrong.  Not necessarily horribly wrong, but wrong enough to age poorly.

I just love it when some smug "expert" falls flat on their face.  They cultivate this appearance of knowledgeably and trustworthiness that is completely illusory.  Don't fall for it.  Don't take my stuff as gospel, either.  I've been wrong plenty of times, but at least I'm not trying to calculate multipliers to divine which movie is going to earn more than the other.  That strikes me as worthless clickbait fortune-telling more than anything else, and people just gobble this stuff up despite having zero reason to trust it.  Hence my schadenfreude.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 06, 2019, 06:06:46 PMBut even then, its believed the DCEU can't be fully salvaged, and they are better off restarting the whole thing.
I'm in that camp.  I've liked a lot of their animations, but I generally avoid their live-action productions like the plague.  I can't really put my finger on exactly why that is (maybe the more colorful costumes and environments more faithfully adapt the comics?)

Still, I'm hoping they do okay with Joker and Birds of Prey.  Those sound promising.  I have no idea if they'll be good, but I'd certainly like them to be.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 06, 2019, 06:36:32 PM
I'm in that camp.  I've liked a lot of their animations, but I generally avoid their live-action productions like the plague.  I can't really put my finger on exactly why that is (maybe the more colorful costumes and environments more faithfully adapt the comics?)

Still, I'm hoping they do okay with Joker and Birds of Prey.  Those sound promising.  I have no idea if they'll be good, but I'd certainly like them to be.

DC's animation division is fine, great even. I've seen several of theres, the animated suicide squad, gothem by gaslight, justice league dark, throne of atlantis, flashpoint paradox, batman ninja, all good movies, infact while marvels strength in movies right now is in the live action roles, DC seems to just do better with their animated division.
Problem is, even when animated movies excel far better then live action (animated suicide squad is miles ahead in quality to the pos live action movie), we still sadly live with the stigma of people preferring to see live action movies more then animated ones. Even if these movies were on the big screen, they still wouldn't attract as much as live action movies.

drunkenshoe

Well, in the end Dark Knight is still the best movie based on a comic. We are not getting a joker like that ever again. He is the only comic book villian that gives me the heebie jeebies. He is real. He is alive. He is everywhere. And he knows humans so well. Batman isn't any of that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 07, 2019, 09:18:17 AM
Well, in the end Dark Knight is still the best movie based on a comic. We are not getting a joker like that ever again. He is the only comic book villian that gives me the heebie jeebies. He is real. He is alive. He is everywhere. And he knows humans so well. Batman isn't any of that.

Chaos and order, it's why they both play off each other so much

Infact stories like the killing joke showed how batman and joker were like Ying and Yang. Order and chaos but within each a small piece of the opposite

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on May 07, 2019, 11:06:33 AM
Chaos and order, it's why they both play off each other so much

Infact stories like the killing joke showed how batman and joker were like Ying and Yang. Order and chaos but within each a small piece of the opposite

Never thought of it that way. A bit too much mumbo jumbo for me. But yeah I get it. Though apparently my chinese horoscope is yang too and I am ying as a cricket.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 07, 2019, 12:16:57 PM
Never thought of it that way. A bit too much mumbo jumbo for me. But yeah I get it. Though apparently my chinese horoscope is yang too and I am ying as a cricket.

Which Chinese horoscope?  Bet you are a Monkey ;-).  My mother was a Dragon.  I am a Goat, have a gotten yours yet? ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2019, 12:41:33 PM
Which Chinese horoscope?  Bet you are a Monkey ;-).  My mother was a Dragon.  I am a Goat, have a gotten yours yet? ;-))

You're a goat too?

Baaaaah
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

In the end they're comic book movies, and, internet furors aside, they'll be stupid fun if done right. I don't expect anything more.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on May 07, 2019, 12:41:33 PM

I'm a dragon. Chinese mumbo jumbo is more elaborated. I think, it is also fire. Not sure. 1976.

Isn't that Sheep? "What do dragons eat, anyway?" :)

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 07, 2019, 01:16:25 PM
In the end they're comic book movies, and, internet furors aside, they'll be stupid fun if done right. I don't expect anything more.

This. Exactly, how I see.