News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://youtu.be/JcMtWwiyzpU

Okay. That's better. Much better than the last trailer. But I'm still not sold on this. The movie seems stuck between trying a new spin on things and being formulaic in its recreation of iconic moments from the original. Also, blue face Will Smith seems to be missing from most of the movie. I wonder if it was originally that way, or if they reacted to the negative press and decided to remove some of the CGI.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

so they didn't even stick with the genie remaining blue, they had to make his skin tone of the actor close as possible.

As I saw someone say in a review, they've just taken the elements from the original, and stripped it down to this boring, lethargic, pantomime version of its original.
The original animated had not just a well thought out style in animation and design, but everything felt grand, from the towering presence of the main antagonist, to the scope of size the genie could take, something this just is lacking and can't be portrayed in live action. 

The buck really should stop here and people shouldn't see this thing, it just makes the mouse think people want more of this shit..
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on March 12, 2019, 10:31:51 PM
so they didn't even stick with the genie remaining blue, they had to make his skin tone of the actor close as possible.

Well, after thinking about it a bit, it occurred to me that there may be a good reason Genie isn't always blue. Maybe he takes on a natural skintone so he can blend in in public. Originally, Genie transformed into animals like a bee to hide himself.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

And for some welcoming news from the house of mouse.

Quotehttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47577507

James Gunn: Disney rehires sacked Guardians of the Galaxy director

Director James Gunn has been rehired to direct Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he was fired by Disney over decade-old tweets that joked about rape and abuse.

It comes after famous cast members from the Marvel series signed an open letter pleading for Gunn's return.

In a tweet he thanked Disney and his supporters and said he is "excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all".

He was fired last July over the tweets that Disney called "indefensible".

Stars from the first two films in the franchise had openly supported Gunn after his dismissal, including Bradley Cooper, Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Vin Diesel and Dave Bautista.

The Guardians of the Galaxy series has grossed over $1.6bn (£1.2bn) worldwide, with the sequel surpassing the earnings seen by the first film.

According to Deadline, the decision was made by Disney executives months ago after he publicly apologised in July and took blame for the incident.

He will reportedly begin production of Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after he completes Suicide Squad 2, which is being producing by Marvel rival DC, Deadline reports.

Could Disney re-hire James Gunn for Guardians?
Before his dismissal, he confirmed that he had written the script for a third Guardians movie.

Niiiiiice

Shiranu

I just watched, "Arrival" (finally) and holy titty twisting Jesus I was not expecting that type of mindfuck today.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on March 22, 2019, 07:23:17 PM
I just watched, "Arrival" (finally) and holy titty twisting Jesus I was not expecting that type of mindfuck today.
You learned to speak Heptapod?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2019, 07:31:56 PM
You learned to speak Heptapod?

I want to say I wish, but I really don't. I know I've seen people give it positive spins, ,but that still seems terrifying to have your entire "future" predetermined like that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Oh, and while we are talking about Gunn... I think now is as good of time as any to talk about how he was the craziest possible choice for a director for GotG in the first place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjwzCrtK5G0

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on March 22, 2019, 07:55:09 PM
I want to say I wish, but I really don't. I know I've seen people give it positive spins, ,but that still seems terrifying to have your entire "future" predetermined like that.
It's just your timeline. There's no mechanism to "predetermine" it. Foreknowledge can be scary, like if you see yourself dying while trapped in a flaming car.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Saw Shazam earlier tod--yesterday. I didn't expect much of the movie when I saw the trailer, but I heard good things about the movie and decided to give it a shot. Boy am I glad I did. The movie is absolutely brilliant. It's hilarious, it's self-aware, and it has just the right measure of campiness to be enjoyable. Sometimes, it feels like a spoof of early comic book movies. The actor who played Shazam did a perfect job playing a kid in an adult superhero's body. A lot of people compare this movie to Big, the movie about a kid who turns into an adult, and that comparison is pretty accurate. The movie even has a reference to one of Big's most memorable scenes. Overall, I considered it a very enjoyable movie.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

This probably doesn't count, but I just watched the last half of Alien tonight.

So I will give you all a story...

I was visiting a friend in New York City specifically to see the debut of 'Alien'.  We had seen the ads and thought it was about some poor alien struggling on Earth.  We got there hours early, but were just a few people before the theater was filled.  We waited.  My friend was a real movie nut.

When the first audience came out, they were stunned.  Like deer-in-the-headlights.  Pale.  Numb.  We asked them questions but they all just waved us off.  My friend and I just looked at each other and asked what we were getting into.  And we were right. 

You had to see it and not know what to expect to understand the impact. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2019, 07:50:12 AM
This probably doesn't count, but I just watched the last half of Alien tonight.

So I will give you all a story...

I was visiting a friend in New York City specifically to see the debut of 'Alien'.  We had seen the ads and thought it was about some poor alien struggling on Earth.  We got there hours early, but were just a few people before the theater was filled.  We waited.  My friend was a real movie nut.

When the first audience came out, they were stunned.  Like deer-in-the-headlights.  Pale.  Numb.  We asked them questions but they all just waved us off.  My friend and I just looked at each other and asked what we were getting into.  And we were right. 

You had to see it and not know what to expect to understand the impact.

Never saw it or the sequels/prequels.  I saw a comic book version of the story of the first movie, in a comic store in San Diego ... and it creeped me out!  Very Kali ... evil mother.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Your talking about the 1979 film right?