Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 14, 2019, 02:38:09 AM
Will smith was horrible choice

Name brand.  And they saved money on CGIing him like they did with the guy who did Golum.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 14, 2019, 02:38:09 AM
Will smith was horrible choice

They probably chose Will Smith for the same reason they chose Robin Williams: marketability. They've always got to have at least one big star to draw people in with. Only, in Robin Williams' case, he was comedian with a knack for making people laugh with his unique brand of humor. Will Smith is an actor people tolerate now because of how good he used to be. If they really wanted someone to be a decent stand-in for the late Robin Williams, they should have hired a high-energy comedian. But I can't think of any famous comedians who would fit that bill.

I think there are bigger problems with the movie than Will Smith, though. Will Smith might actually be the most entertaining actor in the movie, given how stoic and bored the other actors seem. The guy they chose to be Jafar, for instance, looks and sounds more like he's Jafar's nephew.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 14, 2019, 11:39:57 AM
They probably chose Will Smith for the same reason they chose Robin Williams: marketability. They've always got to have at least one big star to draw people in with. Only, in Robin Williams' case, he was comedian with a knack for making people laugh with his unique brand of humor. Will Smith is an actor people tolerate now because of how good he used to be. If they really wanted someone to be a decent stand-in for the late Robin Williams, they should have hired a high-energy comedian. But I can't think of any famous comedians who would fit that bill.

I think there are bigger problems with the movie than Will Smith, though. Will Smith might actually be the most entertaining actor in the movie, given how stoic and bored the other actors seem. The guy they chose to be Jafar, for instance, looks and sounds more like he's Jafar's nephew.

I for one think it would be a very interesting movie if they had Frankie boyle as the genie.
And if he were allowed to write his own Jokes.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

I thought the same thing. It's not the design, it is Will Smith. Casting is wrong.

Other than that they actually tried to make it that way on purpose it seems. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

I loved it. Super. Watch it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

trdsf

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 15, 2019, 04:35:51 AM
I for one think it would be a very interesting movie if they had Frankie boyle as the genie.
And if he were allowed to write his own Jokes.
Oh, fuck.  Even I would have paid to see that.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Bird Box 7/10

I REALLY liked the concept (there's an extremely spoilery video up on Film Theorists if you want to know more about that), but the execution was a tad off.  I didn't care for most of the characters, especially the main protagonist.  There could have been a lot more meat on the bones - a lot more thrills and chills (like getting captured or having to make a sadist choice) - but sadly, that just wasn't in the cards.

But I loved the setting - dark river/woods is perfect for some unseen monsters.  Great vibe.

The monsters themselves are clearly the stars of the show, and if you want the deets on them, you're going to be disappointed with this film.  You're going to have to turn to the internet for that.

The very worst part of the movie is the ending.  If you're thinking about watching it, do yourself a favor and stop about 9/10 of the way through and make up whatever ending you want to believe.  Whatever you come up with will be much better than the official ending, I promise.  I went with the same ending as The Mist.  Heh, good times.

Also, here's what I thought about the movie's editing:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwxCCjHWrX8[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 18, 2019, 08:14:47 AM
So, Day of the Triffids II?
Pretty much, with minor differences.  I prefer that the survivors aren't rendered blind - they're perfectly capable of looking, but they run the risk of doom with every glance.  This allows for a temptation VS self-discipline internal struggle in addition to the external struggle.

drunkenshoe

The Lady in the Van.

It's good. Apparently, it's mostly a true story. 

Sal1981

Wreck it Ralph 2 - 6/10

OK story, I guess.

Blackleaf

I was on Netflix and saw both The Incredibles 2 and Ant-Man & the Wasp were on there, so I watched them both. The Incredibles 2 was good. The main premise is basically that super heroes are still outlawed, so the actions of Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their kids are seen by the general public in a negative light. But this rich guy who's nostalgic for superheroes wants to change the public perception, and he hires Elastigirl to do it. At the same time, a villain named Screenslaver appears, using screens to hypnotize people and cause trouble. Overall, I thought it was a good followup to the original film.

[Spoiler]I was expecting the nostalgic rich guy to be the real Screenslaver, creating problems for Elastigirl to fix. But it turned out to be his sister, who blames superheroes for the deaths of her parents.[/spoiler]

Ant-Man & the Wasp was a lot better than I was expecting. The previous Antman movie kinda left me underwhelmed, but I liked this one. The humor is very self-aware, with Scott often being the only one in the room who doesn't understand the others' sciencey mumbo jumbo. The villain is interesting and has a unique power I've never seen before.

When I first saw the trailer for Ant-Man, I thought it was a bit farfetched that the entire Ant-Man team would be uneffected by the snap, since everyone essentially had a 50/50 chance of survival. But apparently a few movies released between the two Infinity War movies are out of order and take place before the snap.

[Spoiler]Now that I've seen the movie, though, I ironically think the opposite. What are the chances Hank, Hope, and Janet are all snapped away, leaving Scott trapped?[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Brexit: The Uncivil War - 8/10

A political drama that follows the Leave.EU Campaign.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 19, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
I was on Netflix and saw both The Incredibles 2 and Ant-Man & the Wasp were on there, so I watched them both. The Incredibles 2 was good. The main premise is basically that super heroes are still outlawed, so the actions of Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and their kids are seen by the general public in a negative light. But this rich guy who's nostalgic for superheroes wants to change the public perception, and he hires Elastigirl to do it. At the same time, a villain named Screenslaver appears, using screens to hypnotize people and cause trouble. Overall, I thought it was a good followup to the original film.

[Spoiler]I was expecting the nostalgic rich guy to be the real Screenslaver, creating problems for Elastigirl to fix. But it turned out to be his sister, who blames superheroes for the deaths of her parents.[/spoiler]

Ant-Man & the Wasp was a lot better than I was expecting. The previous Antman movie kinda left me underwhelmed, but I liked this one. The humor is very self-aware, with Scott often being the only one in the room who doesn't understand the others' sciencey mumbo jumbo. The villain is interesting and has a unique power I've never seen before.

When I first saw the trailer for Ant-Man, I thought it was a bit farfetched that the entire Ant-Man team would be uneffected by the snap, since everyone essentially had a 50/50 chance of survival. But apparently a few movies released between the two Infinity War movies are out of order and take place before the snap.

[Spoiler]Now that I've seen the movie, though, I ironically think the opposite. What are the chances Hank, Hope, and Janet are all snapped away, leaving Scott trapped?[/spoiler]
In Incredibles I it was Dash's dash. In II it was Jack-Jack vs. the trash panda.  Both worth the price of admission.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers