News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

I don't think the name is just one thing though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 01, 2019, 09:08:08 AM
Bohemian Rhapsody. Nope. Failure.

The kid gives a good performance, but other than that they failed at showing who Freddie Mercury is, what was Queen in my opinion. They made the actor say it a few times, but failed to show it. This man is one of the greatest performers of all time, not a self destructive something wanna be who missed what he aimed for. On the contrary, he nailed it before 40 and then died ffs. He didn't fail to do what he did because he cannot deal with his sexual identity, he did it despite of whatever he lived and felt about it.   

We were chatting with my cousin about the movie and she said they actually declared that they were gonna change a lot of things to bost the story? But why? Queen doesn't need that. Freddie Mercury doesn't need that. Nobody needs to convince young generations to what Queen is or who Freddie Mercury was. It doesn't work that way. It's music. They listen it and either like it or don't. Also I doubt that there is anyone who really doesn't like Queen. I mean who would say, 'turn that shit off, I hate this music and what it represents'. Even this Bieber, Swift, Jonas whatever generations can't be that music deaf, can they?   

Myeh. It annoyed me.

I don't see the need for a movie. There was a good documentary on TV about Freddy Mercury / Queen recently. It was both entertaining and informative. You're probably better off watching that. And yes, Queen had a lot of amazing music under his belt. If the movie presented him as a failure, that is absolutely ridiculous. The man was able to fill entire football stadiums with fans, he was so popular.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mr.Obvious

Home (2017)

Flemish movie.

My gf liked it. I didn't think it was good. Teenage angst flick about 16-17 year olds pushed into situations turned up to eleven.
It flows from one scene into the other without much feel for some continuation and fluidity. Instead it al seems chopped.
And I guess that's what it went for? To show how confusing and rushed puberty and adolesence are and go by? Trapped as an island, cut off from children and adults, who simply don't understand you.

But that's where most of the problems lie. While the acting in many cases was very believable; it was done excessively 'casual'. Which not only annoyed me after a while, because it was like watching real teenagers being real teenagers for two hours. An age I can't stand at the best of times. But the main problems weren't the good but annoying acting: it was the story. It seemed preachy. I didn't like the characters. Nothing seemed to happen. Until it did. And yes, the main character is shown to learn a lesson by the end. But even at the end so little was resolved.
I feel this movie tried very hard to be realistic. And I give it kudo's for what it achieved. It seemed believeable. But that did not make it enjoyable to watch. And I don't think kids would want to see this. I think adolescents would just go: "yeah sure, that's how old people see us. Fucking wankers." And for people my age and up, I don't get what we are expected to get out of it. Cringe at remembering your own awkward, self-righteous, self-obsessed, vain, ignorant 16 year old self? Or is that just me?

Either way.
4/10
And it scored all it's points on the kids acting realisticly uninterested.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Watched the original "Halloween" last night. Didn't age well.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 02, 2019, 07:11:13 AM
Watched the original "Halloween" last night. Didn't age well.

I still think it's the best one compared to any sequal, or the Rob Zombie mess, or the bs recent one that tries to rub out all the sequals.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on February 02, 2019, 08:25:21 AM
I still think it's the best one compared to any sequal, or the Rob Zombie mess, or the bs recent one that tries to rub out all the sequals.
ret·conDictionary result for retcon
/ˈretkän/Submit
noun
(in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency.
"we're given a retcon for Wilf's absence from Donna's wedding in ‘The Runaway Bride’: he had Spanish Flu"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

well yeah, its a retcon. doesn't make it a good idea of course.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on February 02, 2019, 03:31:47 PM
well yeah, its a retcon. doesn't make it a good idea of course.
You expect too much from Whollyweird.
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 02, 2019, 03:42:37 PM
You expect too much from Whollyweird.

Not anymore. I take the one good thing my father taught me, cynicism. Everythings bs until proven otherwise.

Draconic Aiur

I watch Bleach the movie on Netflix and man -oh-man it was shit. It felt like a cheesy ripoff. The movie follows the manga..sort of, and the characters sort of followed their costume design but not their physical and mental designs.

Ichigo is far from being a total punk, and his hair is naturally orange. He is good natured and caring about others and that's why he gets into fights in the 1st place.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 10, 2019, 09:51:50 PM
I watch Bleach the movie on Netflix and man -oh-man it was shit. It felt like a cheesy ripoff. The movie follows the manga..sort of, and the characters sort of followed their costume design but not their physical and mental designs.

Ichigo is far from being a total punk, and his hair is naturally orange. He is good natured and caring about others and that's why he gets into fights in the 1st place.

Live-action adaptations of anime are almost always shit. The only one I can think of which is mostly okay is the Death Note movie. No, not THAT one. The Japanese one. The Japanese live-action Death Note was basically an abridged version of the original story, essentially removing the second season altogether (which most people agree was the weakest part of the anime anyway). One reason I think Death Note worked was that the manga/anime are fairly based on the real world. There aren't any weird, brightly colored hairstyles or clothing. Typical anime just don't translate well to the real world. Aside from the Shinigami, everyone in Death Note looks like someone you'd expect to see in Japan.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

I found a pretty interesting video on the trend of portraying unattractive book characters with attractive actors in movie and television adaptions. It goes over a few examples of when this was done, and discusses whether it is an actual issue, or if it's just fans of the original work getting worked up over every little change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P_83taoceE
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 10, 2019, 11:13:16 PM
Live-action adaptations of anime are almost always shit. The only one I can think of which is mostly okay is the Death Note movie. No, not THAT one. The Japanese one. The Japanese live-action Death Note was basically an abridged version of the original story, essentially removing the second season altogether (which most people agree was the weakest part of the anime anyway). One reason I think Death Note worked was that the manga/anime are fairly based on the real world. There aren't any weird, brightly colored hairstyles or clothing. Typical anime just don't translate well to the real world. Aside from the Shinigami, everyone in Death Note looks like someone you'd expect to see in Japan.
The Japanese version also had Chairman Kaga from Iron Chef.  I'll watch damn near anything for Chairman Kaga.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

The nutcracker and the four realms.

We watched it with 9 friends, and glad for it.
The movies wasn't 'bad', for a kid's movie.
But I feel they really went all out in Visuals, costumes and sets, and had little budget left in editing, acting-assistance and camerawork.
Overal: underwhelming.

I'm also left with a lingering suspicion that Keira Knightley might be a freak in the bedroom.
Which I think is what they were going for? So good job?
Or is that just me?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

I've seen the trailer...

just..

just..