News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 12:16:33 PM
If you can do that ... then no true atheist (or Scotsman).  On the other hand, being able to do that makes you a good slave to a political party.
Dumbass. Most people who die in novels never even lived, but Sherlock Holmes was fun to read. Get that stick out of your ass, it's banging up against your uvula.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 12, 2019, 02:50:56 PM
Dumbass. Most people who die in novels never even lived, but Sherlock Holmes was fun to read. Get that stick out of your ass, it's banging up against your uvula.

Don't see the connection.  Sorry.  There is a difference of opinion on what good fiction is, and whether or not something is fiction (it is a gray scale depending on fantasy vs reality (in writing).  Of course fiction is just that, however "based" it may be on real events.  Such differences of opinion are normal.  BTW - a novel, like Gore Vidal's Lincoln, isn't history .. it is the reuse of a historic character for fictional purposes.  Both a novel and a mini-series.  But all fiction writers have an ax to grind, even if it is just their opinion on what ought to be entertaining.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNf2UZPMiBs

interesting video.

just to clarify so anyone fearful of getting offended, no, the guy doesn't hate the movie, the says at the start he loved black panther. He simply draws up some problems with the movie on a logical basis I've often brought up too.

problems like, wakanda is meant to be an advanced society, yet its governed by a dictatorship based on strength, not thought.
The fact that their entire system of advancement and growth is based on one resource, the vibranium, which as has been shows with real life nations when a country is only dependent on one resource, it doesn't advance as other nations do that grow based on many difference resources.

And the biggest plothole with wakanda, its meant to be this bubbled off society thats been hidden from the outside world for a long time. There is no logical way wakanda could have evolved to one of the most advanced places on earth by doing that, as the real world most advanced societies on earth have evolved and grown due to trade and interacting with other nations for shared resources, or even war in claiming those other resources.

And yeah, i know, comic book movie. But even comic book movies need to operate in the realm of believable scientific reasoning. Even Aquaman as a movie makes more sense that undersea cities can have grown and operated due to them being many different undersea nations. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjqCRJmCPE

Wow, a Ghostbusters sequel that's an.. Actual sequal, and not a feminist agenda film. And it's made not by a self loathing feminist this time, but the son of one of the original creators of the first movies  :O

But uh oh, social justice media upset that someone decided to make an actual sequel to the originals and ignore the 2016 one, oh dear!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=25mrjyDxkM4&t=318s

It's almost like making a movie that ignores what the fans have asked for for years, while pushing your own modern agenda social politics, might have made someone who actually cared about the first movies to go 'we can do better'.

Sal1981

The Discovery 9.5/10

A quite good movie with a pretty good premise; a scientist discovers there's an afterlife with "definitive proof" (the wording they use in the movie), except it's not what most people expect. It results in, in the span of 2 years after The Discovery of the afterlife that more than 4 million people kill themselves to "get there". Although this isn't the driving plot of the movie, surprising as that might seem. It's not a sci-fi movie, just one with an interesting premise.

The trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9j6WcdU-ts

It's also a movie I'll rewatch later to get some additional clues into what is going on in the plot.
If you want to know what the afterlife is:
[spoiler]It's a rerun of your own life, where you correct your biggest regret every turn, leaving your memory-less of your past loops. Not alternative realities, the same reality, just where you alter your biggest regret. And who doesn't have regrets in their life?

P.S. Don't kill yourself.[/spoiler]

Baruch

That is replay of Our Town ... and play and movie from decades ago ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Town

One of the most depressing things I have ever watched ... what if you had no good memories to go back to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Town_(1940_film)

A lot of people from that time did go to premature deaths ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on January 19, 2019, 07:02:19 AMhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjqCRJmCPE

Wow, a Ghostbusters sequel that's an.. Actual sequal, and not a feminist agenda film. And it's made not by a self loathing feminist this time, but the son of one of the original creators of the first movies  :O

But uh oh, social justice media upset that someone decided to make an actual sequel to the originals and ignore the 2016 one, oh dear!

I never cared for the reboot, but why now, after all these years? The original cast are all old men now, so they're likely not the main characters. At best, this could be The Force Awakens of Ghost Busters, where a new generation of Ghost Busters take the place of the old one.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 19, 2019, 11:38:55 AM
I never cared for the reboot, but why now, after all these years? The original cast are all old men now, so they're likely not the main characters. At best, this could be The Force Awakens of Ghost Busters, where a new generation of Ghost Busters take the place of the old one.
maybe because jason reitman, given his father made the original ghostbusters, saw the movies on set and so grew up on them, when he saw what a disaster the paul feig movie was, he wanted to step in and give the people what they actually wanted a ghostbusters movie, even if it is one about passing the torch.

They have already made a concept of ghostbusters passing the torch with the extreme ghostbusters from the late 90s, which was a continuation of the original 80s cartoon show, and that did successful enough to win fans over, while paying homage to the original.

And thats something the 2016 movie didn't do, pay proper homage to the original movies, so if the son of the original director ivan reitman wants to make a proper homage to what his dad helped make an icon, I'm all for him trying, instead of the mess paul feig crapped out.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on January 19, 2019, 12:14:24 PM
maybe because jason reitman, given his father made the original ghostbusters, saw the movies on set and so grew up on them, when he saw what a disaster the paul feig movie was, he wanted to step in and give the people what they actually wanted a ghostbusters movie, even if it is one about passing the torch.

They have already made a concept of ghostbusters passing the torch with the extreme ghostbusters from the late 90s, which was a continuation of the original 80s cartoon show, and that did successful enough to win fans over, while paying homage to the original.

And thats something the 2016 movie didn't do, pay proper homage to the original movies, so if the son of the original director ivan reitman wants to make a proper homage to what his dad helped make an icon, I'm all for him trying, instead of the mess paul feig crapped out.

If that's the case, it sounds similar to what happened with Dragon Ball. The creator, Toriyama, was retired and pretty much done with Dragon Ball, aside from a few side-story manga he'd make on occasion. But when Dragon Ball: Evolution released, he was so disgusted by it, he decided to revive the series to get the bad taste out of peoples' mouths.
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

New information out, it will be an actual passing the torch movie, explaining why the original three surviving cast members are coming back, and passing it onto 4 teenagers, 2 girls and 2 guys, so.. omg, FEMALE GHOSTBUSTERS :O RREEEEEEE!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IIRlmgFVes

Serious though, this is a proper sequel and passing of the torch should be, and not forcing an agenda. They did this with the extreme ghostbusters cartoon in the 90s which was a sequel to the 80s animated series, in which 4 teens followed egon and became the next generation, consisting of a disabled guy, a spanish guy, a black guy and a female, and yet this didn't feel like it was forcing an agenda, they were built as characters instead of stereotypes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10sMHAl1EJM

Also, Leslie Jones bitching because their not making a sequel to the ghostbusters she was in, you know, the one that didn't pay homage to the original movies. Clearly cares less about what the audience wants and more about her movie roles.

aitm

Bohemian Rhapsody. Not bad. Good when you just need something to watch and too bored to spend the energy looking for something else. So...obvious props....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Blackleaf

I saw Dragon Ball Super: Broly recently. Went in with a lot of hype. Bought the tickets a month in advance since it was a limited release (three days, two shows per day, at the theater I bought from), and it seemed like tickets were already disappearing fast. The first theater I checked already had nearly all of its seats taken for its first show. When I got there, it was surprisingly quiet. The theater in general was pretty much empty. I think pretty much everyone was there for the same movie. lol

Anyway, I had high expectations for this movie. It was written by Toriyama himself, the father of Dragon Ball, and it shows. The movie definitely had a lot of Toriyama-ish humor in it. The new art style threw me off at first, but it looked very stimulating from how the trailers made it seem. The writing was also built to be a lot more deep than typical Dragon Ball. I know that's not saying a lot, but it was described as being a very plot-driven movie.

For the most part, the movie did live up to its promises. They took Broly, the villain who basically personified stereotypical Dragon Ball with his screaming, huge muscles, and constant powering up, and turned him into an actually sympathetic character. No joke, they actually gave him a pretty interesting backstory and personality. The movie is basically split into two parts. The first part is a prequel, following the stories of the fathers of Goku, Vegeta, and Broly, giving context to the inevitable conflict to come. The prequel portion is pretty much all drama. It competently explains the motivations of each character. No more Broly being mentally scarred for life because baby Goku cried in a crib next to him, like in the original story. They even managed to write the plot so that people who haven't been able to keep up with the anime/manga, such as my sister who saw it with me, wouldn't get lost.

After the prequel portion ends, the mood shifts quite a bit, and that's one of my main criticisms of the movie. The prequel part was very interesting for me, and it seemed like the plot took a back seat when the story jumped to the present time. In the present part of the movie, there's still some drama, but it's mostly action and comedy. It's still good, but just feels like a complete tonal shift to me. And once the fighting begins, it's basically a mindless light show. Which leads me to my next criticism... The art.

Don't get me wrong, the movie looks amazing. The problem is the lack of consistency. Throughout the battle, a lot of scenes just felt disconnected, like there were each made by a different team, then slapped together. There were also a few moments where CGI was used. It wasn't terrible CGI, but it was just off enough to take me out of the moment sometimes. Like the writing, the art was good, just not cohesive.

One last criticism of this movie was its lack of surprises. This is, unfortunately, one of those movies where the trailers tell the whole story. There were so many parts I would have been pleasantly surprised by if I hadn't already seen it. I know the Japanese have different attitudes toward spoilers, but from what I've heard, even they thought it was a bit much. I mean, even as soon as we got our tickets, we saw the movie poster which had a freaking spoiler right on it! It was this, but with English text:

A friend I was with, who hadn't seen the spoiler-heavy trailers somehow, saw it and was like, "Is that Gogeta?" Yup. it was the first canonical appearance of that character. First time seeing him in Super Saiyan Blue form too. It would have been nice if he weren't literally thrown in our faces moments before seeing the bloody movie.

Overall, did it live up to expectations? Not really, but it didn't leave me terribly disappointed either. It was good, by Dragon Ball standards. If you're not a Dragon Ball fan, it might be a good place to start if you're thinking of getting into it. Otherwise, it's not for general audiences.
--Fulke Greville--

Halkenburg

I'm giving 1408 an 8/10 rating. The jump scares put me off a little, but overall the film had a wonderfully tense and creepy atmosphere and the twist at the end left me with my mouth wide open.

Baruch

Quote from: Halkenburg on January 27, 2019, 05:50:43 AM
I'm giving 1408 an 8/10 rating. The jump scares put me off a little, but overall the film had a wonderfully tense and creepy atmosphere and the twist at the end left me with my mouth wide open.

My slum apartment is scarier than that shit ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

So...Aquaman.....really?  Some spoiler here.....so the dude can push a 150 million ton submarine straight up through the ocean to the surface but still can be knocked over by a regular guy?  Also, he jumps out of an airplane about a half mile up and slams into the dirt no problems but then falls down a cavern and is grasping onto the ledge? Wat? I mean...why is it always so hard for these "superheros" to dispatch regular humans with just a flick of a booger?

alas....I weep for real hero's....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust