News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 09, 2019, 06:11:59 AM
Well it's official, aquaman is now the highest grossing DCEU movie to date.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2019/01/aquaman-highest-grossing-dceu-movie

I just keep finding it hilariously ironic, since for years, even decades, aquamans been considered the joke of the DC characters cast, because he's the character who swims around and talks to fish. Yet here we are, with DC's failed DCEU franchise, and the character people mocked for decades pulling ahead of all others like batman, superman and even wonder woman.

The Little Mermaid for gay men ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 09, 2019, 02:10:06 PM
oh shirley temple? okay she made her career as a child, but maybe you preferred her later roles.

Maybe he was jealous of her white and red polkadot dresses?  (sarc).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

The Oath 8/10

This movie is a riot.  The government creates an oath of loyalty to the president that citizens have one year to sign before the deadline.  It's supposed to be voluntary, but if you don't sign, a government agency affiliated with Homeland Security sends agents to your home to "talk to you."  Sometimes they take you away, but no one knows where.  Friends find it safest not to talk about whether they signed or not.  They try not to talk about it at Thanksgiving dinner, but of course, everyone does.  Families are destroyed.  Protests against it happen.  People get killed.  It's actually a timely satire about America today.  It's bloody and visceral and fun.  I felt sick and frightened all the time I was laughing.  It was unique and clever.

GSOgymrat

Munch

This video contains heavy spoilers for the movie hereditary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHXWUongeM

I talked about this movie back in October/November when I saw it, with a belief rundown. But this guy really brought back what I remember about the movie, and why it lingered with me.
Spoilers:

Admittedly, the movie has a couple of silly moments mostly due to the direction of the story near the end of it, basically the movies progression went from bizarre family drama with some unsettling traits, to suddenly thrusting you into visual horror, to by the end going full on supernatural horror.

However, 'that scene' has quickly become infamous as maybe one of the most intense scenes in a horror movie in a long time, right up there with the shining moment twisting along the corridors, the scene in IT of the kid getting pulled into the storm drain, or the alien bursting from chest scene. Not gonna spoil the scene, and yes, the review above does spoil the moment, so don't watch it before seeing the film. But for me, those 10 minutes in the movie left an impression on me, because unlike so much of the surreal and supernatural stuff in the rest of the film, those 10 minutes were so real in how it was portrayed, and you could imagine anyone in that situation, making the horror of it all the more intense.

maybe I've already ruined it by building it up to much, as that tends to do, but if you go in with an open mind, yeah, watch this film. 
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Munch on January 09, 2019, 10:02:31 PM
This video contains heavy spoilers for the movie hereditary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHXWUongeM

I talked about this movie back in October/November when I saw it, with a belief rundown. But this guy really brought back what I remember about the movie, and why it lingered with me.
Spoilers:

Admittedly, the movie has a couple of silly moments mostly due to the direction of the story near the end of it, basically the movies progression went from bizarre family drama with some unsettling traits, to suddenly thrusting you into visual horror, to by the end going full on supernatural horror.

However, 'that scene' has quickly become infamous as maybe one of the most intense scenes in a horror movie in a long time, right up there with the shining moment twisting along the corridors, the scene in IT of the kid getting pulled into the storm drain, or the alien bursting from chest scene. Not gonna spoil the scene, and yes, the review above does spoil the moment, so don't watch it before seeing the film. But for me, those 10 minutes in the movie left an impression on me, because unlike so much of the surreal and supernatural stuff in the rest of the film, those 10 minutes were so real in how it was portrayed, and you could imagine anyone in that situation, making the horror of it all the more intense.

maybe I've already ruined it by building it up to much, as that tends to do, but if you go in with an open mind, yeah, watch this film.

Watched it withfriends on Halloween. Liked it.
Started off creepy and unsettling. Then kicked it in overdrive.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 09, 2019, 08:00:51 PM
Actually there is this theory...

Disney is fond of putting unusual sexual references in their films for children.  There might mushrooms in a forest or architectural turrets on castles shaped like penises.  I suppose if you were obsessed you could find more too.  Or you might deny that's what they really are while you fascinate on them: 

"Oh, never mind SGOS.  He has his mind in the gutter again."

That's where it is most of the time, but I Know what castle turrets and mushrooms look like.  Sure you might find an odd mushroom now and then that reminds you of something sexual in real life.  But it happens more often in Disney movies: 

"Just a coincidence!  SGOS's mind is running wild again."

But the fact that you recognize it as a coincidence betrays you, because you recognize it too.  And just remember that every time you take your kids to see a Disney movie,  that they will eventually grow up spending unnecessary hours thinking about sex.  It's inevitable.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on January 09, 2019, 08:00:14 PM
The Oath 8/10

This movie is a riot.  The government creates an oath of loyalty to the president that citizens have one year to sign before the deadline.  It's supposed to be voluntary, but if you don't sign, a government agency affiliated with Homeland Security sends agents to your home to "talk to you."  Sometimes they take you away, but no one knows where.  Friends find it safest not to talk about whether they signed or not.  They try not to talk about it at Thanksgiving dinner, but of course, everyone does.  Families are destroyed.  Protests against it happen.  People get killed.  It's actually a timely satire about America today.  It's bloody and visceral and fun.  I felt sick and frightened all the time I was laughing.  It was unique and clever.

Hitler did this with the German armed forces, in 1933.  How about the ongoing Communist subversion, would that make a good movie?  Communists love their gulag.  Nazis just murder you.

Watch Emperor Macron's descent into autocracy as we post ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Yeah, no Nazi ever made a camp for people they didn't like.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Let's not turn this into political discord guys, it's about movies, we got a politics section.

SGOS

Glass, the movie about psychotics who think they are superheroes has not been released, but the critics are previewing it and giving it dismal scores.  Audiences are still giving it a 97%, although admittedly this is on the basis of wanting to see it, not on actually seeing it.  Too bad, because I thought the premise showed promise.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on January 10, 2019, 06:43:36 AM
Let's not turn this into political discord guys, it's about movies, we got a politics section.

Don't watch political movies then ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2019, 07:32:59 AM
Glass, the movie about psychotics who think they are superheroes has not been released, but the critics are previewing it and giving it dismal scores.  Audiences are still giving it a 97%, although admittedly this is on the basis of wanting to see it, not on actually seeing it.  Too bad, because I thought the premise showed promise.

It took me a minute when watching the trailer to recognize these are the characters from "Spilt" and "Unbreakable."

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on January 10, 2019, 07:38:29 AM
It took me a minute when watching the trailer to recognize these are the characters from "Spilt" and "Unbreakable."
Unbreakable sounds like a familiar title, but if I saw it, I sure can't remember. I'll look for a trailer.  Split didn't do much for me, even with my casual interest in psychological thrillers.

Edit:  Yes, I did see Unbreakable, but don't remember much.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on January 10, 2019, 07:37:13 AM
Don't watch political movies then ;-)

Movies with politics in them are usually only viable within the context of the world of the movie it's made in. Like any of the James bond movies, or independence day.