News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Saw Aquaman.

I've not been impressed by the DCU movies, even seeing some of wonder woman, while its serviceable, it wasn't the grand film spectacle I thought it would be. I've been a comic book fan for years, and when I see a movie about comic book characters I like, I do have an expectation going into a movie about them. This is why movies like deadpool and the first x-men movie, or even the thor and avengers movies, won me over, because actors like Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds and Chris Hemsworth brought their A game to the role they were given and not just phoned in a the roles.

And for me, Jason Momoa was one of those guys, he played Aquaman how I hoped someone would. I find it so funny how given how much of a bomb the other DCU movies have been lately, its Aquaman that has gotten the most liking, because it doesn't take itself so seriously as the other movies have, something I think is thats been missing in other dc movies, something marvel movies has done so well.
And James Wan is a great, fun director, I've loved his films from the conjuring to insidious to even the first saw movie, he's a fine director, and knew what people actually wanted from a comic book movie, fun, action, great effects, and character.

The movie has some problems here and there, like maybe to much cgi. Some of the actors aren't exactly the best, especially the child actors in it, and the movie often seems to have a tone problem what its going for time to time, and a couple of rushed scenes that had me thinking 'oh, right, so that just happened'.

But overall the movie was fun, Jason Momoa pretty much captured the role for me, Amber Heard as Mera was pretty good, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II was black manta was okay but needed more screen time.

So for its flaws, this one did feel like a step in the right direction for better DC movies. would watch again.

7/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

I think "Thor: Ragnarok", the Guardians of the Galaxy, and the lighter spots in "Justice League" have shown that a somber comic book movie doesn't really work.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Not to say serious can't be done when you have the right director. Christopher Nolan had very little in the way of humor in his movies, you could probably count the humorous moments on the finger of one hand. But I think it worked with batman because he is the most grounded superhero you can think of, batman plays serious because its more in a real world setting then anything else in dc.

When you throw in things like god like men who can fly and fire lazers from their eyes or people who can fly in outerspace with glowing rings with green energy constructs and people who can run so fast they can slow down time, you can't have stuff like that and think a serious tone is easy to pull off. Its not impossible, like certain dc writers who have written serious stories for the dc heroes, but its few and far between, and those comics and coming off of decades of growth, not a fresh concept like the story of a comic book movie lineup.

the reason why avengers infinity war worked so well given its somber tones thoughout, is because the characters had movies beforehand where you got to know them as characters, the kind of setting their in, the humor and seriousness of it all, and you got invested in them, which makes the impact of infinity war all the more meaningful.
Justice league had none of this build up, it had one superman movie, and one batman vs superman movie. it gave no investment in the other characters beforehand, and yet tried hard to push for a super serious tone as if things were at stake.. but how was the audience meant to even care if they hadn't spent time with the characters beforehand, and the only one they did was the one character whos pretty much a god.

This is why i liked this movie, it gave development to a character needing it, and it also felt like you could watch this movie and have no ties to the other one (except a small mention of what happened in justice league movie but can ignore that)

Unbeliever

I recently enjoyed watching Ed Wood, and was pleasantly surprised at the role Martin Landau played of Bela Lugosi. Quite a good movie, hardly any special effects, though.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 08:42:34 PM
I recently enjoyed watching Ed Wood, and was pleasantly surprised at the role Martin Landau played of Bela Lugosi. Quite a good movie, hardly any special effects, though.
Bela was a total trainwreck by the time "Plan Nine" came around.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Rewatched the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Love that film.
Has a pleasant energy to it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on January 07, 2019, 08:42:34 PM
That was a fun movie.  We went and saw it in its theatrical run -- whole bunch of MSTies, we had to go see a movie about Ed.  And the phrase "Cut!  Print!  Perfect!" entered our group's lexicon as a stand-in for "Fuck it, that'll do."  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 08, 2019, 06:33:08 AM

Love that film.
If you like Wes Anderson who directed that and other similarly quirky movies, you need to see Moonrise Kingdom, especially if you like Grand Budapest.  They both have a similar feel with well known serious actors waiting in line to get a chance to play one of the bizarre characters that Anderson creates.

Munch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 08, 2019, 06:33:08 AM

Love that film.

I enjoyed it, I liked the stylisation of it, almost like looking into a doll house. The music was great too.

drunkenshoe

Only Lovers Left Alive. I have seen it when it came out, but loved it more when I watched it again a few days ago.

This is the best vampire movie ever made. I am telling you.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Double Feature Matinee: "Red Planet" and "Mission to Mars".
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Watching batman returns.

Can't say why.

Can't look away.

Help.

Unbeliever

There is no help for you, resistance is futile...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 08, 2019, 03:38:58 PM
Watching batman returns.

Can't say why.

Can't look away.

Help.
I tried watch "The Dork Knight", didn't happen.
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

He's sending out his army of penguins.

Fuck, why didn't I ever start smoking pot?