News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 14, 2018, 09:35:54 PM
a materialist figures out their own version of hell on earth, that being when their card is declined, or their out of pumpkin spice latte.

Or they are in Colorado, and their bong is all out of MJ.  Hell isn't real either.   The US is, and that is close enough to Hell for me.  Hell is other people ... who said that?  It is completely true.  And you meet all the best spawn of Satan in the comment sections of any Internet web site.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 14, 2018, 09:59:35 PM
It's almost like they're treating Hell as if it were fictional.

Why don't they treat political ideology the same way?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
Well, no. Venom is Brock + the symbiote. They both work in perfect unison because they have the same goal. Brock wanted to kill Spider-Man, and so did the symbiote. The symbiote needed a host, and Brock needed the power. Basically, they complete each other.

I wasn't talking about in terms of the comic, lol. See, I was trying to read into it, because it's a classic theme?   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on December 15, 2018, 02:07:14 AM
Or they are in Colorado, and their bong is all out of MJ.  Hell isn't real either.   The US is, and that is close enough to Hell for me.  Hell is other people ... who said that?  It is completely true.  And you meet all the best spawn of Satan in the comment sections of any Internet web site.

This also includes:

Out of control children and parents who do nothing to train them when your out shopping.
Pvpers.
Teenage girls on their phones in cinemas.
Political and social degree professors.
Middle management.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 15, 2018, 07:11:27 AM
This also includes:

Out of control children and parents who do nothing to train them when your out shopping.
Pvpers.
Teenage girls on their phones in cinemas.
Political and social degree professors.
Middle management.

Spelling error ... Muddle Management ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Nun  The title sums up how much attention I paid to this one.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 15, 2018, 10:24:46 AM
The Nun  The title sums up how much attention I paid to this one.

you went to see it :S.

I love the last couple of movies but even I wouldn't bring myself to waste my time with this.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on December 15, 2018, 10:50:30 AM
you went to see it :S.

I love the last couple of movies but even I wouldn't bring myself to waste my time with this.

Mother Inferior? ;-)

Catholic version of Hecate?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Elektra 8/10

I've been reorganizing my film library and I came upon this Marvel movie from 14 years ago.  I got it from a guy that gave me 3 or 4 unopened movies that were included as incentives with the purchase of a PlayStation.  As you might imagine, all were box office bombs.  Although Cinema Score, which I no longer bother consulting gave it a B, which is what they give to half their movies, the other half being A.  Critics gave it an overall 10%.  I remember watching it and thinking it was just OK, and saved it on the grounds that I might want to see it again.  I couldn't remember anything about it, but the opening screen flashed the comic book pages Marvel still uses today before the movie starts. 

Back then, Marvel was yet to become the Universe that now dominates the box office, and Elektra uses a formula that is no longer a part of Marvel, as it includes many poignant scenes that touch the heart.  About the closest Marvel has come in recent years to poignancy is that scene on the balcony where Gamora almost kisses Peter Quill, but shoves him away violently at the last minute and screams at him that she will "never take part in any of his pelvic sorcery."  It doesn't include today's Marvel humor that comes out of nowhere.

The poignancy is fine, but distracts from today's image of a super hero, and it gives the movie a different feel.  She reminds me of Black Widow, although much less vulnerable in battle, but more vulnerable in human relations, and she also has borderline supernatural abilities, but nothing on the order of Dr. Strange's magic. The movie doesn't take suspension of belief to the grandiose extent of today's Marvel formula, but it does test the limits.  Seeing it in light of what Marvel has become, it was much more enjoyable as a chance to witness the evolution in super heroes.  I liked it 5 times more in that context than I did before Marvel hit the big time.  It's a good story, about as predictable as a Rom Com, but with lots of blood, gore, and tense moments.  The villains aren't so off the map and other worldly.  They look like regular humans although they are Eastern ninja types that call upon the spirit world in battle.

If her character were re-worked a bit, she would fit in quite well with the Avenger team.

Baruch

Elektra - looks good in trailer.  But then I like kung-fu women.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Munch

Hey, remember when disney, you know, animated things?

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers