Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXxKujtEdA

This trailer review pretty accurately sums up why I expect Detective Pikachu to be a decent or even good movie.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sal1981

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (2016) - 8/10

J. K. Rowling pretty much delivers again in this cinematic marvel.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 16, 2018, 09:27:58 PM

There is a sequel to that, that ties in with Dumbledore.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 16, 2018, 09:27:58 PM

Pottermore has background material on "Wizarding in America".

BTW, the Magical Council of the United States of America was created in 1693. J. K. doesn't know her history.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 17, 2018, 06:47:11 AM
Pottermore has background material on "Wizarding in America".

BTW, the Magical Council of the United States of America was created in 1693. J. K. doesn't know her history.

To Brits, we are still loyal subjects of the Queen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 8.5/10

It's actually 5 short stories, all themed from the wild west. All of them are pretty good, if not different from what you'd expect from westerns, but good nonetheless.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on November 17, 2018, 07:10:26 AM
To Brits, we are still loyal subjects of the Queen.

Not really. She's just there, feel no one way or the other about her.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2018, 02:28:51 PM
Not really. She's just there, feel no one way or the other about her.

What if she intervened with PM May, with Brexit?  Would she be relevant then?  Of course Prince Charles wants you all to become Lawrence of Arabia along with him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Crimes of Grindelwald Very information dense, and a thousand questions to be answered yet.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

Watched "Alpha"...I knew it would be bad and it did not disappoint. But I am a sucker for movies with puppy dogs. Anyway it had possibilities, story about the so called "first dog" to be domesticated. Forget their presentation of Cro-magnon, the first flag was when they had to trek what appears to be 50-70 miles to the "sacred" hunting ground. I told the wife, I am pretty sure they would establish their camp within easy reach of a steady source of food. Walking 50 miles and dragging back several hundred pounds of meat per person over several days and fighting off predators does not seem to be very self sustaining. Especially when they had saber-tooths and hyenas all in northern europe 10,000 years ago as they suggest.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on November 20, 2018, 08:39:46 PM
Watched "Alpha"...I knew it would be bad and it did not disappoint. But I am a sucker for movies with puppy dogs.
Yeah, no surprises there.  The script was a formula containing all the reasons people love dogs.  I found myself waiting for the next ingredient of the formula:  "Isn't it about time where dog and master learn how to play together?  Ooh, ooh, shush.  It's happening now.  Awe, isn't that the cutest thing you ever saw?"  The biggest failure is passing off the long generational process of domestication as being similar to housebreaking a puppy.  With all it's predictability and shortcomings, I actually enjoyed the scenes themselves.  It's just that the amateur script and direction tainted them.  But one thing that gave me goose bumps was that final scene, just before the credits where the tribe emerges over the top of a hill backlit by a morning sun on their way to what is implied is going to be one of many successful hunts that come from the new partnership between man and dog.  That imagine is still burned on my brain from when I saw the movie at the theater.

Munch

Munch

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers