News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

True. Show time is more important than 3D/2D issues.

People just love to have something to bitch about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Saw insidious the last key.

I've liked the insidious movies. The first two were a lot of fun, directed by the awesome James wan. Third one was by Leigh Whannell, which wasn't as good or memorable, but still had some of the same elements in it as the first two.

This was the 4th in the series, and similar to the third, though a little better maybe. Lin Shaye pretty much steals the role she's in with these movies and having the same 70 something year old protagonist throughout you grow to like her role in it.
What I like about this series is the aesthetic of it, the cinematography, the sets, the makeup and costumes, it remains cannon to the style and design of the series, though that does make it kind of a repeated formula in places.

But this was okay, kind of like a soft edition to the rest of the series. 6.5/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

I think I have already expressed my obsession with Blade Runner, but if not or if so... here is one more video on why it's, to me, one of the most beautiful films ever produced, focusing on Hauser's "Tears in Rain" monologue at the end of the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbXIONSjmkY
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Mandy  ???

Sheesh!  Probably not as sickening as the Saw movies, but it's bloody, disgusting, and perverse, and not in the good way, but it's probably the best movie Nicolas Cage has made in 10 years.  92% from Critics and 69% from audiences (at Rotten Tomatoes).  I never know where Cage is at.  Didn't he make a couple of those "back to God" type movies while his career was in the gutter?  Now he's mutilating members of one of those Jesus sub cults that has strayed from the path.  OK, so they probably never were on a path to begin with.  They're just some sadistic whack jobs that crawled out of a sewer to make Charles Manson seem normal.  I don't know how to rate this.  You won't fall asleep, although you might turn it off.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 31, 2018, 06:41:41 PM
I think I have already expressed my obsession with Blade Runner, but if not or if so... here is one more video on why it's, to me, one of the most beautiful films ever produced, focusing on Hauser's "Tears in Rain" monologue at the end of the film.
While it kind of fell flat at the box office, it and it's sequel are both remarkable.  The original was just that... original, and it set a new standard for?  For what?  I'm not sure.  It was so unique that it's like a genre all it's own.  Same for the second.  There's fantasy, drama, science fiction, and then there's Blade Runner.

Munch

Just watched Hereditary.

wow.. that was intense. this was some brilliant directing and acting and screenplay. I wanted a good horror movie this year, I didn't know anything going into this one, and while I wouldn't say it blew me away, it had me holding my breath in several moments, because this movie doesn't rely on jump scares, but psychological horror.
First part of the movie took a while to get going, but once it did, my reaction to it was 'oh crap, they went there'.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Went to a showing of the original Ghostbusters last Saturday, hosted by Fritz the Nite Owl.

That is a straight-up fun movie.  Also, three cheers for non-computer generated special effects.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Pretty entertaining, and somewhat original story.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 06, 2018, 10:29:15 AM
Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Pretty entertaining, and somewhat original story.
Seen the original? Dash's dash is best seen ... enhanced.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Sal1981

Equalizer 2 - 8/10

Somewhat the same formula as the first, but still entertaining.

SGOS

Loving Pablo 7/10

The last couple years of Pablo Escobar's career as a drug king pin.  It will keep you watching.  Based on a biography by his lover.

Mr.Obvious

"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on November 08, 2018, 09:02:18 PM
Loving Pablo 7/10

The last couple years of Pablo Escobar's career as a drug king pin.  It will keep you watching.  Based on a biography by his lover.

Though I am curious about it, after watching Narcos a couple of years back, it could be a bit too much. I had no idea the level of these cartels before. Sure I have heard of it here and there. But...I couldn't move while watching. Blood freezing.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Yeah, it's a lot like most cartel movies.  They are a cold blooded lot.