Author Topic: Rate the latest movie you've seen.  (Read 251261 times)

Re: Rate the latest movie you've seen.
« Reply #3615 on: October 27, 2018, 04:29:08 AM »
True. Show time is more important than 3D/2D issues.

People just love to have something to bitch about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Munch

« Reply #3616 on: October 28, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »
Saw insidious the last key.

I've liked the insidious movies. The first two were a lot of fun, directed by the awesome James wan. Third one was by Leigh Whannell, which wasn't as good or memorable, but still had some of the same elements in it as the first two.

This was the 4th in the series, and similar to the third, though a little better maybe. Lin Shaye pretty much steals the role she's in with these movies and having the same 70 something year old protagonist throughout you grow to like her role in it.
What I like about this series is the aesthetic of it, the cinematography, the sets, the makeup and costumes, it remains cannon to the style and design of the series, though that does make it kind of a repeated formula in places.

But this was okay, kind of like a soft edition to the rest of the series. 6.5/10

Online Shiranu

« Reply #3617 on: October 31, 2018, 06:41:41 PM »
I think I have already expressed my obsession with Blade Runner, but if not or if so... here is one more video on why it's, to me, one of the most beautiful films ever produced, focusing on Hauser's "Tears in Rain" monologue at the end of the film.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
“And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.” - William Gibson, "Count Zero"

A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor. Ú or le a ú or nin.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3618 on: October 31, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
Mandy  ???

Sheesh!  Probably not as sickening as the Saw movies, but it's bloody, disgusting, and perverse, and not in the good way, but it's probably the best movie Nicolas Cage has made in 10 years.  92% from Critics and 69% from audiences (at Rotten Tomatoes).  I never know where Cage is at.  Didn't he make a couple of those "back to God" type movies while his career was in the gutter?  Now he's mutilating members of one of those Jesus sub cults that has strayed from the path.  OK, so they probably never were on a path to begin with.  They're just some sadistic whack jobs that crawled out of a sewer to make Charles Manson seem normal.  I don't know how to rate this.  You won't fall asleep, although you might turn it off.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3619 on: October 31, 2018, 07:49:10 PM »
I think I have already expressed my obsession with Blade Runner, but if not or if so... here is one more video on why it's, to me, one of the most beautiful films ever produced, focusing on Hauser's "Tears in Rain" monologue at the end of the film.
While it kind of fell flat at the box office, it and it's sequel are both remarkable.  The original was just that... original, and it set a new standard for?  For what?  I'm not sure.  It was so unique that it's like a genre all it's own.  Same for the second.  There's fantasy, drama, science fiction, and then there's Blade Runner.

Offline Munch

« Reply #3620 on: October 31, 2018, 08:23:59 PM »
Just watched Hereditary.

wow.. that was intense. this was some brilliant directing and acting and screenplay. I wanted a good horror movie this year, I didn't know anything going into this one, and while I wouldn't say it blew me away, it had me holding my breath in several moments, because this movie doesn't rely on jump scares, but psychological horror.
First part of the movie took a while to get going, but once it did, my reaction to it was 'oh crap, they went there'.

Offline trdsf

« Reply #3621 on: November 01, 2018, 07:13:40 AM »
Went to a showing of the original Ghostbusters last Saturday, hosted by Fritz the Nite Owl.

That is a straight-up fun movie.  Also, three cheers for non-computer generated special effects.
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #3622 on: November 06, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Pretty entertaining, and somewhat original story.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

« Reply #3623 on: November 06, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
Incredibles 2 - 7/10

Pretty entertaining, and somewhat original story.
Seen the original? Dash's dash is best seen ... enhanced.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #3624 on: November 08, 2018, 10:53:30 AM »
I hardly remember the original.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #3625 on: November 08, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Equalizer 2 - 8/10

Somewhat the same formula as the first, but still entertaining.

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3626 on: November 08, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
Loving Pablo 7/10

The last couple years of Pablo Escobar's career as a drug king pin.  It will keep you watching.  Based on a biography by his lover.

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #3627 on: November 10, 2018, 07:15:08 AM »
The hateful 8.
8.8 out of 10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, requesting 69 last night.

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #3628 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:24 AM »
Loving Pablo 7/10

The last couple years of Pablo Escobar's career as a drug king pin.  It will keep you watching.  Based on a biography by his lover.

Though I am curious about it, after watching Narcos a couple of years back, it could be a bit too much. I had no idea the level of these cartels before. Sure I have heard of it here and there. But...I couldn't move while watching. Blood freezing.   
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 11:07:25 AM by drunkenshoe »

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3629 on: November 10, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »
Yeah, it's a lot like most cartel movies.  They are a cold blooded lot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk