News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 17, 2018, 12:05:04 PM
I was thoroughly disgusted with the ending.

Oh I don't think this movie would actually work now though. It is something when you watch it in the big screen, when you don't know what's it all about and that it is a new idea. Other than that, you'd sleep through it,lol.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

I think no movie released in the cinema today could active that sadly, but an independent film found online somewhere could have that impact if they refrain from showing any making of aspects or having any familiar faces in it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Ever since "Cloverfield" I've avoided POV movies. They can't be anything more than painfully contrived.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Antman and the Wasp.  I didn't think it was as good as the first one, but I get to watch it again now that it showed up at Redbox, and I can take a closer look.  But that's not the real point of this post.  New movies usually show up at Redbox on Tuesdays, but the Antman sequel showed up today (Friday) as a mid cycle release.  But I'm still not at the real point yet.

I signed up at Redbox for the convenience it offers.  I can browse the new arrivals, locate the boxes where they are available, and reserve them on line.  So when I make the 20 mile trip to my nearest Redbox, the disk is there waiting for me to pick it up.  This weekend, I got an additional promotion from Ole Red, as I often do;  I get $1.25 off any one night rental, so it's costing me 59 cents after taxes to rent the Antman and the Wasp. 

I know this sounds like an ad, but I don't intend it to.  I'm just amazed at Redbox, because 15 years ago I might pay $5 to rent a new arrival at the video rental store.  I know streaming is the thing these days, but my boondocks DSL connection doesn't provide the resolution I want on my projection system, and the sound isn't as good, especially in blu-ray.  My cousin used to tell me Blu-ray and  DVDs were a waste of money, but then he streamed stuff on a 32 inch TV, and for him, it was good enough.  However, I do feel like an old fart sometimes, like I'm resisting the leap to smart phones, facebook, and streaming.  Oh wait!  I did make those leaps, but leaped back after those things left me unimpressed (different strokes for different folks).

Blackleaf

Red Box must be doing something right if they're still in business. They also have new games for rental, so you can try one out to see if you're willing to pay full price for it.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 19, 2018, 10:07:39 AM
Red Box must be doing something right if they're still in business. They also have new games for rental, so you can try one out to see if you're willing to pay full price for it.
Yes, I wonder how long they will remain in business.  I see a lot of people using it, and often have to wait a minute or two for someone else to get a movie out of the machine (or slide last nights back into the return slot).  But the big money in home movie entertainment seems to be in streaming.  But Redbox is used to making money with marginal ideas.  They are a subsidiary of CoinStar.  Have you ever seen anyone using a CoinStar machine?  Have you ever even seen a CoinStar machine?  They are handy, but I've only used one once.

Gawdzilla Sama

I nearly used a coinstar once, then I realized the credit union would probably take 42 pounds of coins. No fee there.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 18, 2018, 06:26:21 AM
Ever since "Cloverfield" I've avoided POV movies. They can't be anything more than painfully contrived.
They can be good sometimes.  I liked Hardcore Henry.  But mostly, I think POV is best done with short films (<30 minutes).

Mr.Obvious

Going to watch 'girl' a belgian movie in dutch about a boy who wants to become a ballerina and a girl.

Heavy topic for The end of The workweek, but hey, let's hope it's good.

In The cinema right now.

Offline for a few hours .
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 19, 2018, 10:50:31 AM
I nearly used a coinstar once, then I realized the credit union would probably take 42 pounds of coins. No fee there.
I can't remember what it charged me.  It wasn't much.  But I remember it being kind of fun dumping a bucket of coins in the machine, and then a lot of whirring and noise while it ate the coins, and then... Well, I can't remember if it spit out paper money, or gave me a coupon, or something else.

trdsf

Coinstars are in all the Krogers around here.  I always check them to see what's in the reject tray - I've gotten steel cents, silver dimes, all sorts of foreign coins that way.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 19, 2018, 01:50:11 PM
I can't remember what it charged me.  It wasn't much.  But I remember it being kind of fun dumping a bucket of coins in the machine, and then a lot of whirring and noise while it ate the coins, and then... Well, I can't remember if it spit out paper money, or gave me a coupon, or something else.
Some of them give you a voucher to cash as the service desk.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 19, 2018, 03:52:09 PM
Some of them give you a voucher to cash as the service desk.
That may be how I got my money.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 19, 2018, 01:49:15 PM
Going to watch 'girl' a belgian movie in dutch about a boy who wants to become a ballerina and a girl.

Heavy topic for The end of The workweek, but hey, let's hope it's good.

In The cinema right now.

Offline for a few hours .

I want an equal number of "woke" movies where girls want to become boys ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 19, 2018, 06:32:58 PM
That may be how I got my money.
The system would save having to load paper money into the machines.
PZ Myers