News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Air Strike ... Bruce Willis again, redoing a John Wayne movie (Flying Tigers) ... the US aiding the Chinese against the Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiJjMggOUu8

Looks interesting.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on October 09, 2018, 04:37:34 PM
Guess I'll give it a look at when it's out to buy, or download for cheaper.
I think you will like it.  The critics trashed it at 31%, but I decided to see it, because audiences were giving it an 89%, and it's box office take was twice as high as A Star is Born, which is this weeks favorite of the critics.  Ordinarily, I like romantic films, even though they are all cliché, but the previews of A Star is Born seemed like it might be an over the top cliché.  I'll wait until the DVD comes out unless nothing appealing shows up at the theater for the next three weeks, or I start hearing that it's a must see from viewers.

Baruch

For Shiranu ... real life isn't like a movie, let alone a good movie.  Sorry, I wish it was too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on October 09, 2018, 07:39:52 PM
I think you will like it.  The critics trashed it at 31%, but I decided to see it, because audiences were giving it an 89%, and it's box office take was twice as high as A Star is Born, which is this weeks favorite of the critics.  Ordinarily, I like romantic films, even though they are all cliché, but the previews of A Star is Born seemed like it might be an over the top cliché.  I'll wait until the DVD comes out unless nothing appealing shows up at the theater for the next three weeks, or I start hearing that it's a must see from viewers.

thing is I'm a comic book fan fro the 80s and 80s, and liked how venom was in that time, so will have those kind of expectations going in. Maybe this was more designed for audiences not as subscribed long time to the characters as that, which isn't a bad thing they can't just make movies to appeal to comic fans alone since its not that huge a market. But yeah, I know what I'd have hoped for venom, so I'll try and go in neutral as I can.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

For a Venom film, I would've liked to see Spidey.  Or at least JJ.  What little I saw in the trailer didn't impress me.

Sometime in the future, after Marvel really integrates Spider-Man and co into the MCU, I would love to see Maximum Carnage.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 09, 2018, 10:49:23 PM
For a Venom film, I would've liked to see Spidey.  Or at least JJ.  What little I saw in the trailer didn't impress me.
I agree.  They couldn't have made a more uninteresting trailer.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on October 09, 2018, 08:59:12 PM
thing is I'm a comic book fan fro the 80s and 80s, and liked how venom was in that time, so will have those kind of expectations going in. Maybe this was more designed for audiences not as subscribed long time to the characters as that, which isn't a bad thing they can't just make movies to appeal to comic fans alone since its not that huge a market. But yeah, I know what I'd have hoped for venom, so I'll try and go in neutral as I can.
Hollywood seldom reproduces the source material as it was.  Usually, they change the story, even when it's biographical. So is there some repeating alteration they tend to make with comics, or are they just using the name, and inventing something different.  Is it ever better than the original?  At least in some ways?

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 09, 2018, 11:00:14 PM
Hollywood seldom reproduces the source material as it was.  Usually, they change the story, even when it's biographical. So is there some repeating alteration they tend to make with comics, or are they just using the name, and inventing something different.  Is it ever better than the original?  At least in some ways?

The uniforms are almost right...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on October 07, 2018, 08:31:36 PM
Venom

So I went into it with very low expectations thanks to both bad reviews from critics and bad reviews from friends who had seen it...

Frankly, I don't know what the hell they are talking about. I thought it was a really good movie, the comedy landed and had the theatre laughing, the action was solid and engaging, the story never really had any moments where I was like, "Can you PLEASE hurry the fuck up?"... yeah, there was nothing really to criticise the movie about for me.

Could it have been better? Yeah, definitely. But in terms of just a fun action movie... it was exactly what it was.

One criticism I have seen is that it tried to blend comedy and seriousness, which people didn't like... but it's a Venom movie. Venom exists in the world of Spiderman, and you are expecting it to not have comedy? Really?
Eating yip-yip dogs  is always a win.

And it's a comic book movie. As such I enjoyed it. The Elon Musk substitute was worth a chuckle.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Geostorm - 8/10

I expected something in line with The Day After Tomorrow, but it was a surprisingly good sci-fi-ish thriller, although the sci-fi and all the weather is more of the backdrop to the story, not the main plot.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 11, 2018, 05:58:59 PM
Geostorm - 8/10

I expected something in line with The Day After Tomorrow, but it was a surprisingly good sci-fi-ish thriller, although the sci-fi and all the weather is more of the backdrop to the story, not the main plot.

Exercise in fictional hubris.   Unfortunately hubris itself is real.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47w0jNW90E&t=910s

This was a really good video.

I hadn't seen the greatest showman. I love Hugh Jackman, he's one of my two 5 favorite actors both in movies and on stage, so when I first heard of the movie and saw the previews of it I thought this is so up his street of being stage performer. It got good reviews and most people loved it.

But I hadn't seen it at the cinema (due to cost at the time) and expected to get it on blueray.

However after seeing this video, and knowing the truth about what H.P Barnam was really like, I just can't. Infact now I'm questioning how people working on this movie, including its main actors, didn't stop and ask, isn't this portrayal of Barman and his circus completely disingenuous.
What about the fact he kept a black slave and made her perform until she was in her 70s and when she died he performed an autopsy on her? Wheres the story of how he tortured animals to keep them in line? Why doesn't the movie according to critics give genuine portrayals of the sideshow freaks that Barman owned, including children snatched away from their parents? And yet it portrays then none freaks like barman himself, his family and 'nice looking' performers as the central focus?

Instead they made a movie giving a sympathetic light to a man who didn't deserve it. And claiming its all for spectacle for movie goers just doesn't absolve their choice to do so. If they made a movie about humanizing Adolf Hitler, people today would be up in arms over it. Yet for some people in an age of information with the internet at your fingers, people dismiss the facts about P.T Barnam and how he treated people and animals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCyXpDsk5M
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

There was a docudrama that did a better job 30 years ago ... 1986.  He invented the "congress of the press" aka "press conference".  Reinventing himself more than once.  Hocum of course, but you pay your ticket, and that is what you get.

P T Barnum making news 200 years after he was born ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeM7RtCphOU

P T Barnum's daughter, at one time, owned a land development outside of Denver Colorado, back in the late 19th century.  The church I was married in is a few blocks from that subdivision.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The "Everything Wrong With" folks obviously don't watch a movie more than once.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 13, 2018, 09:42:41 PM
The "Everything Wrong With" folks obviously don't watch a movie more than once.

Why would a critic do that?  Like the misquoted "Mikey", they hate everything.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.