News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 22, 2018, 09:35:07 AM
Here's someone who doesn't get enough credit.

Javier Botet, a guy born in Ciudad Real (in spain), was at age 5 diagnosed with the condition Marfan syndrome, which  is "a genetic disorder of the connective tissue. The degree to which people are affected varies. People with Marfan tend to be tall, and thin, with long arms, legs, fingers, and toes. They also typically have flexible joints and scoliosis"

But instead of living with the fact he had this condiction in a negative way, he used it to become a film star of sorts.

He played the main creature in the movie mama, the monster in Rec, the crocked man in the conjuring 2, a ghoul in crimson leak, and recently slenderman.

He pretty much took his condition, and made full use of it for horror, making a career from some of the recent horror movies out there.

Guy deserves recognition, as much as they do for andy serkis

Use what you've got and go with it!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

sigh.. looks like my hopes were short lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7wqxq2gLpA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_HeVXHJiA

Now the argument could be made its just fans hyping up and over reacting to something someone did, like making the remark that she should try smiling and how people blew up at this.

However the main actress playing her, Brie Larson, took offense to that too and posted a load of creepy smiling faces for pre existing marvel movies, making a mountain out of a mole hill since the characters in those movies actually do smile.

Also, this was ms marvel from the 90s.

and this was same character, as captain marvel recently.

and even though the latter came from sjw marvel, the character could still smile, which made sense, because the character is suppose to be a powerhouse, so having a cocky grin made sense.

instead, the movie trailers so far shown a wooden faced actress, and the magazines are playing up 'STRNGETH OF WAMAN!', something they surprisingly didn't need to do for wonder woman.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

De hel van Tanger.
Translated: The hell of Tangier.

Another belgian film. I've been seeing a lot of those it occurs to me.
Two busdrivers for tourist-trips are made to transport half a bus of moroccans from antwerp to Tangier, Morocco. What they don't know is that it is a set-up. Their boss, allong for The trip, has 355 kilograms of drugs, i forget which kind, hidden on The bus on the way back.
The three of them wind up in jail, in horendous conditions. What follows is years of The protagonist in declining health without any care amongst crooked abusive guards, torture, corrupt lawyers and judges and impassive bureaucrats. The belgian government also fails to act and it takes 2 years and three months before The lead is eventually, and without any given reason, released.

Based on a true story. And it Happened less than 25 years ago. The man The lead portrayed never fully recovered and died in 2007. For this movie, The lead had to lose 35 kilograms and then regain it bit by bit as they shot The movie backwards.
Now that's dedication in an actor.

Real good film. I praise and recommend it fullheartedly.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 24, 2018, 08:19:20 AMinstead, the movie trailers so far shown a wooden faced actress
Yes, in the approximately 10 seconds we see her face in the trailer, she's not smiling.  And?

Quotethe magazines are playing up 'STRNGETH OF WAMAN!', something they surprisingly didn't need to do for wonder woman.
I'm pretty sure they did that for Wonder Woman, too.  Ether way, who gives a crap about what these people say?

I mean, the movie hasn't come out yet and you're already gearing up to hate it and treat it as SJW propaganda...like you do with a lot of movies now.  Don't you get tired of these tempests in a teacup?  Don't other people get tired of these petty political spats, too?  Remember when we could watch a superhero movie, and not politicize the hell out of it?  Wouldn't that be nice for a change?

GSOgymrat

"Won't You Be My Neighbor? 9/10

Nostalgic yet timely documentary about Fred Rogers. His focus on love, kindness, and sincerity was countercultural then but seems even more radical today. Very moving and well done.

https://youtu.be/FhwktRDG_aQ

trdsf

Quote from: GSOgymrat on September 25, 2018, 08:31:17 AM
"Won't You Be My Neighbor? 9/10

Nostalgic yet timely documentary about Fred Rogers. His focus on love, kindness, and sincerity was countercultural then but seems even more radical today. Very moving and well done.
You know those tall votive candles?  Local place makes one with him on it as the 'Patron Saint of Make Believe'.

I bought one.  :)

Edit: Added a link to the above-mentioned 'local place'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jsfXDZLIY

She aren't no Julie Andrews, but I'll give them credit for having actual classic animation like the original.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

House With a Clock in the Wall:  Adults:  2/10  Children 8/10

I went to this thinking it was something different.  I started thinking I may have made a mistake when all the coming attractions were those Pixel Cartoon Characters, and not very bright ones either, with klutzy monsters and the like.  I stayed for an hour and left.  There are children's movies that I enjoy, maybe 1 out of 5 are geared to please adults along with children.  Little kids might like this however.  I was bored.  It had a very capable cast with Jack Black and Cate Blanchett.

I admit, I was hard up for a movie.  I haven't been to the theater for two weeks.  Sometimes I'm happily surprised when I go under these conditions.  Sometimes not.

Sal1981

Halo: Fall of Reach - 6/10

Nothing too special, probably because I haven't played the Halo games.

Hijiri Byakuren

Watched Geostorm yesterday. I was hesitant because of the bad reviews, but my grandmother talked me into it.

It's... actually really good, a solid 9/10 thriller. Legitimately had me on the edge of my seat trying to figure out who the real bad guys were. Not sure why it got such horrible reviews.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

I watched the last five minutes, saved me lots of time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

The Catcher was a Spy 8/10

Here's another movie that most people didn't like, with 34% from Critics and not much more from audiences.  Most criticism seems to be that it lacks depth.  I'm not sure what that means.   As a spy movie, I think it isn't what the fan base is looking for.  Specifically, not enough killing.  The fighting is secondary to the plot.  It's in WWII Germany, so the troops are killing enough, but as a spy, Paul Rudd's character probably doesn't do enough killing to satisfy the viewers.  It's also possible that it's not a very good movie, but I strongly disagree.  I will agree that it lacks the action and violence in the typical spy flick (think Tom Cruise), but I was unusually engrossed the entire time.  The ending is not what I expected because I didn't know enough history about the German scientist, Heisenberg.  I know what he's known for, but before the movie, I never even knew he was heading up the Nazi nuclear bomb team.  Part of the reason for the lack of depth is that Mo Berg (Rudd) is presented as an enigma, much of it revolving around his sexual identity, which seemed like an unimportant part to play up, as that had little to do with the plot.  I'll watch it again though.  I liked it a lot. 

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 04, 2018, 01:09:28 PM
The Catcher was a Spy 8/10

Here's another movie that most people didn't like, with 34% from Critics and not much more from audiences.  Most criticism seems to be that it lacks depth.  I'm not sure what that means.   As a spy movie, I think it isn't what the fan base is looking for.  Specifically, not enough killing.  The fighting is secondary to the plot.  It's in WWII Germany, so the troops are killing enough, but as a spy, Paul Rudd's character probably doesn't do enough killing to satisfy the viewers.  It's also possible that it's not a very good movie, but I strongly disagree.  I will agree that it lacks the action and violence in the typical spy flick (think Tom Cruise), but I was unusually engrossed the entire time.  The ending is not what I expected because I didn't know enough history about the German scientist, Heisenberg.  I know what he's known for, but before the movie, I never even knew he was heading up the Nazi nuclear bomb team.  Part of the reason for the lack of depth is that Mo Berg (Rudd) is presented as an enigma, much of revolving around his sexual identity, which seemed like an unimportant part to play up, as that had little to do with the plot.  I'll watch it again though.  I liked it a lot.

Will have to see a preview.  The first book on the Nazi nuclear program came out in the 70s.  At one point, Bill Donovan (OSS) suggested assassinating Heisenberg.  Turns out, having an egg head in charge damages the practicality of whatever you are doing.  You need engineers.

Daniel Craig (007) plays Heisenberg ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLtnXlgMJ9w

Later, Heisenberg tried to recruit Bohr to the Nazi cause.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya8kpniGINw

Bohr escaped to the Manhattan Project shortly afterward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41jWIRsfAdQ

The Japanese had a nuclear program too.

Supposedly Heisenberg showed Bohr a sketch of the initial design of the Nazi nuclear reactor.

Heroes of Telemark (movie) and Real Heroes of Telemark (documentary) ... is how that design was delayed.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Ex Machina

Sinister and uncomfortable all the way through.
In the best way possible.

Might be in my top twenty movies, just for the atmosphere and themes tackled. But I'll have to let the experience sink in.
Might be top 50 instead.
Still high though. Sure I've seen hundreds and hundreds of films.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on October 05, 2018, 05:05:46 PM
Ex Machina

Sinister and uncomfortable all the way through.
In the best way possible.

Might be in my top twenty movies, just for the atmosphere and themes tackled. But I'll have to let the experience sink in.
Might be top 50 instead.
Still high though. Sure I've seen hundreds and hundreds of films.
It's high on my list too.  Great film, even after watching it 6 or 7 times.