News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 17, 2018, 07:24:45 AM
I like Tommy Lee Jones ... so thumbs up for that.  Recent history is too close for perspective.  We are still in Iraq.
Yes, while the hand writing is on the wall, the final story, and how the US role shapes whatever the outcome is still to be determined.  Many watchers might still be wondering when those WMDs will finally show up.  Ahh, the sweet savor of vindication might pluck us all from despair for a short while.  I suspect years from now, Iraq will be remembered as just another waste of taxpayer money.  Nothing to see here folks.  Just the government wasting money again.  Business as usual.

Gawdzilla Sama

Well, we've run out of wars to examine, so another one coming down the History Dept. pike would be fine.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 17, 2018, 07:45:40 AM
Well, we've run out of wars to examine, so another one coming down the History Dept. pike would be fine.

Sarc?  Or speak for yourself!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

I watched all five Twilight movies because they were free with Amazon Prime and I usually like stories with supernatural characters. I haven't read the books so I didn't realize it was 80% teen melodrama. I found the most unbelievable aspect of the story was that a 100-year-old worldly vampire and a hot werewolf were fighting over such a milquetoast girl. I'm all for adolescent angst (I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer) but when the main character has zero insight, humor or charm it leaves a dead zone in the middle of the story. I can only assume the point of the main character being so unremarkable was so adolescent girls could easily imagine themselves as the object of desire.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 19, 2018, 04:52:50 PM
I watched all five Twilight movies because they were free with Amazon Prime and I usually like stories with supernatural characters. I haven't read the books so I didn't realize it was 80% teen melodrama. I found the most unbelievable aspect of the story was that a 100-year-old worldly vampire and a hot werewolf were fighting over such a milquetoast girl. I'm all for adolescent angst (I loved Buffy the Vampire Slayer) but when the main character has zero insight, humor or charm it leaves a dead zone in the middle of the story. I can only assume the point of the main character being so unremarkable was so adolescent girls could easily imagine themselves as the object of desire.
I did enjoy the first one.  I still do.  In the second one I was taken off guard by the appearance of the werewolves, and that was a fun surprise.  After that, the whole thing just seemed to drag on and on until I felt like I wanted to vomit.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2018, 06:40:21 PM
I did enjoy the first one.  I still do.  In the second one I was taken off guard by the appearance of the werewolves, and that was a fun surprise.  After that, the whole thing just seemed to drag on and on until I felt like I wanted to vomit.

One element of the first movie I thought was a missed opportunity was when Edward explains to Bella that vampires have evolved to be apex predators, that their appearance, scent, voice, and demeanor all are optimized to attract humans. An insightful person would be conflicted as to whether their attraction was anything more than manipulation but Bella doesn't appear to even consider this. Given the average human would succumb to a vampire's glamour, Bella's response makes her typical, not exceptional, and doesn't explain why he treats her differently than all the other women who find him attractive. I think it would have been more interesting if Bella was constantly questioning whether she was being deceived.

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 19, 2018, 07:30:08 PM
I think it would have been more interesting if Bella was constantly questioning whether she was being deceived.
I think it's the soap opera appeal of blind love, and I would think that format would be especially appealing to young girls.  I'm not sure about teen boys.  When the first one hit the theaters, I was totally unaware of the movie.  I was standing at the box office window buying a ticket for something else, when a bunch of high school girls came up behind me tittering and giggling with delight.  I heard one say to the others, "I'm so excited."  I turned around to check out the group and some of them were doing that little bouncy thing they do when they have to pee really bad.

SGOS

When the two finally got around to having sex, Roger Ebert described it as, "The most highly anticipated and long awaited love scene in movie history."  But by that time, I was totally disgusted with the series and was ready for it to be over with.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 19, 2018, 04:52:50 PM

thats pretty much twilight in a nutshell.

I had to ensure hearing from my mother how great the movies where just because she liked Robert Pattinson. It was only years later when he like of him died down she admitted the movies were terrible and she'd never revisit them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

God's not Dead: A Light in the Darkness

Yet another highly acclaimed edition to the franchize.

No critic consensus yet, because it only has 8 or 10 reviews, all except one being a green splat, so I'm assuming this one never made it to the theaters, but it's now on DVD and ready to dazzle us with some more Christian logic.  The one ripe tomato was a qualified endorsement that was not entirely glowing.

Here's one that was very typical of the others, including the one that got the endorsement.

QuoteThese movies are fundamentalist propaganda aimed at people who are convinced their religion is under attack in this country just because it doesn't exempt them from the Constitution.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 19, 2018, 09:21:13 PM
God's not Dead: A Light in the Darkness

Yet another highly acclaimed edition to the franchize.

No critic consensus yet, because it only has 8 or 10 reviews, all except one being a green splat, so I'm assuming this one never made it to the theaters, but it's now on DVD and ready to dazzle us with some more Christian logic.  The one ripe tomato was a qualified endorsement that was not entirely glowing.

Here's one that was very typical of the others, including the one that got the endorsement.

So the third movie was straight to DVD, huh? How pathetic. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 20, 2018, 12:54:18 AM

"I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 20, 2018, 12:54:18 AM

What's more pathetic is how certain actors in them thought this would boost their movie career status back into the limelight, when all it did was show just how desperate they were to take whatever role was going.
Kevin sorbo and Melissa Joan Hart could have retired still loved by the roles they did in the 90s, now their just be remembered for defending crap like this.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on August 20, 2018, 05:55:55 AM
What's more pathetic is how certain actors in them thought this would boost their movie career status back into the limelight, when all it did was show just how desperate they were to take whatever role was going.
Kevin sorbo and Melissa Joan Hart could have retired still loved by the roles they did in the 90s, now their just be remembered for defending crap like this.

Yeah... If I see either of them in any other role, I won't be able to take them seriously at all. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, I am disappoint.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--