News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

But have you ever watched Monsoon Wedding?  There are more movies produced in India, than anywhere else.  I demand that India do more movies with English characters, portrayed in a positive way ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjQjw-UyAX0

And there are no E Asian movies at all ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhCHw0Ovqf4

Serious generational conflict.  No drama without conflict ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8svNN8saeU

Hollywood or Bollywood, it is all fantasy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteSerious generational conflict.  No drama without conflict ...

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was not an American film.

Also, the sample size shouldn't be so small that we have to look to a previous generation to find an example of it happening.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on August 16, 2018, 09:45:56 AM

Also, the sample size shouldn't be so small that we have to look to a previous generation to find an example of it happening.
Or to fantasy films.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 16, 2018, 09:45:56 AM

Only America exists, the other countries are fictions ... their movies don't count

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E51-2B8gHtk

Tie down all the White males and make them watch an endless list of the best speeches of Maxine Waters?  Oh the inhumanity!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I have a coworker who's going to see Slenderman (11% critics, 27% audience on RT).  She watches movies regularly (about three a week), and she's basically going into this one blind.  She has no idea what she's in for.

I can't wait to hear her review.  It's going to be priceless.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 16, 2018, 03:20:48 PM
I have a coworker who's going to see Slenderman (11% critics, 27% audience on RT).  She watches movies regularly (about three a week), and she's basically going into this one blind.  She has no idea what she's in for.

I can't wait to hear her review.  It's going to be priceless.
Just don't open any unexpected packages you find on your stoop, m'kay?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Baruch on August 16, 2018, 01:03:03 PM
Only America exists, the other countries are fictions ... their movies don't count.

I like a lot of British movies and television series.

Munch

I hadn't really thought of it much, but when looking over all the details, its really awful what happened to Brendan Fraser.

From being one of the growing main stars of hollywood back in the late 90s/early2000s, to just disappearing from cinema more or less, I use to think it was down to him just not getting roles or deciding not to accept offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5mqkL4lgjw

Mummy 3 destroyed him, he was groped and made to feel so awful that he gave up on hollywood, and his wife divorced him leaving him a shattered man. This is bloody tragic. I really liked the first 2 mummy movies, and even enjoyed George of the jungle just purely for his performance.

hope he's getting back on track since he made a new movie recently.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 16, 2018, 05:32:31 PM
I like a lot of British movies and television series.
J.K. wanted only British actors in the Harry Potter movies. I guess that's fair.

Didn't work so well for Fantastic Beasts.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 16, 2018, 07:40:40 PM
From being one of the growing main stars of hollywood back in the late 90s/early2000s, to just disappearing from cinema more or less, I use to think it was down to him just not getting roles or deciding not to accept offers.
Blast From the Past is a favorite comedy of mine.

Edit:  He was rather critical of his employer, which never helps you in the long run, even if you are correct in your criticism.  I'm a little surprised they dumped him over it, as he was a very interesting personality on screen.  The Mummy failed, but I don't think you can hold Frazier responsible for that.  At best,  he might be a useful scapegoat for the failure, but not the real cause.

Shiranu

Honestly, forget ALL the social aspects of this movie... just the effort that went into making it the most commercially successful hero origin story  until Black Panther, all while being hampered with having to exist within the DCCU's artistic and thematic style, is insane to watch.

Or consider that this movie covered the topic of PTSD more than essentially any other war film released in a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vds6IGWtVFg&list=PLdGl5mi0XeW2iK2sVp2ni_VDRKrmfF_-Z&index=15

Mr.Obvious

Team Spirit

Belgian comedic flick from 2000, a remake from a Dutch film called 'All Stars'. I remember vaguely seeing this one when I was a kid. Just rewatched it with my girlfriend. It still holds up.
Another film in Dutch, so, you know...

It centers around 6 friends who are in their early to mid twenties and have been playing football (soccer) for 15 years in their team. (A low-class hobby-team that never achieves much, but they don't do it for the glory, rather for the camaradery and one-another.) With their 500th match coming up, the team has to decide if they still have the luxury of each one of them giving up a sunday for football, or if it is time to move on and let their football-days fade into pleasant memories.
In the meanwhile each of the 6 friends has some troubles they have to go through themselves. Erik has not yet told his friends that he is gay and has a crush on Stef, Stef is going to get married and have a child but doesn't feel ready yet, Frank's dad and former trainer for the team is bound to a wheelchair and is not doing well, Jean-Mark is a cop but is letting two jerks from an opposing team push him around, Vic has to decide if he wants to work for his father or not and falls for a co-worker who is in love with someone else. And Jos finds little support from his wife and feels trapped in his obligations as a family man and a small-business owner.

It was good. Never seen the original All Stars, but I've heard it's a tad different.
This was good.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Shock and Awe  10/10  Critics 30%  Audiences 33%

As so frequently happens, I'm out in left field with my movie tastes and as usual, I can't explain it.  I enjoyed this one because I learned that not every major newspaper and wire service accepted the WMD narrative without question, at least publicly.  Knight Ridder actually researched and fact checked and knew that the Bush Administration had no solid evidence that Iraq was involved with 9-11, and that the government had no solid evidence for WMD, but they were ignored by the media and the public who thought the threat of Iraq was a better story.  It also nailed reason after reason why the government's narrative was suspect,  reasons that as far as I can tell, still remain outside of the public consciousness.

Of course, there were also other sources of the same narrative from less well established agencies, outlets, and officials, but none had the power of CNN or the voice of James Earl Jones announcing coverage of the daily bombing events.

The movie also addressed the logical subtlety of absence of evidence, which doesn't mean Bush and the public were wrong or that Knight-Ridder was right.  The truth could have been the exact opposite.  Absence of evidence simply means that there were no grounds to assume Iraq was a threat.  This is kind of important when you are about to invest trillions of dollars and countless loss of lives in pursuit of a whim.  This is when the public vitally needs evidence for extraordinary claims.

And when the government makes claims, but offers no real evidence, there is good reason to suspect they are making things up.  Even if a person believes this is not reason enough to doubt the president, one undeniable fact remains:  There is no reason to believe him either.  Especially when lives are at stake.

Rolling Stone was one of many sources that trashed the film.  The critic claimed he "wanted to like it.  Really wanted to like it," and went on to applaud the actors and the director, but concluded that it was not as good as Spotlight or The Post.  And when push comes to shove, I might even agree about Spotlight, but it's a close call for me.  As for The Post, I just didn't care much about that film.  Rolling Stone also dissed the film because Shock and Awe was not a good title.  The movie did not shock and did not awe, and I might agree because we already know the story and must watch the film while enduring the nagging embarrassment of realizing America had been duped by its own government, and we were the marks in a grand confidence scheme.

But imagine hearing the story cold as an outsider who never played a role in the deception, who never unsuspectingly played the role of the mark.  From that outsider perspective it would be shocking, would it not?  One would think, "How could 70% of a whole nation be so easily played for fools?"

Oddly, 70 seems to also be the percent of viewers who didn't like the film very much.  But that might be simple coincidence. 

Baruch

I like Tommy Lee Jones ... so thumbs up for that.  Recent history is too close for perspective.  We are still in Iraq.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.